Bertuzzi/Moore

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby dhabums » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Meds wrote:I actually do side with Bert on this, though not justifying his actions. I don't think Bertuzzi should be on the hook for any settlement here, as Jovo points out, the argument will forever rage over whether or not it was the punch or the dog pile that caused the serious injury to Moore's neck, but based on that (and the afore mentioned "entitlement generation" koolaid) Bertuzzi shouldn't be facing fiscal punishment alone.


Bertuzzi is not facing fiscal punishment alone. However, it is ludicrous to think the other players in the pile should have some responsibility in this if that is what you are inferring.

I am a big fan of the wording many Canuck fans have taken to when describing Bertuzzi sucker punching Moore in the back of the head. "Errrr, I'm not agreeing with what he did BUT....". What he did was totally and utterly mindless. It was inexusable and embarrassing. If it happened TO a Canuck player I'd bet the reaction would be different. You know, like when McSorley slashed Brashear in the head. It's not too hard to imagine what this place would sound like if it was Brashear doing the slashing: "Stupid McSorley should have fought. What a pussy."
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby Jovorock » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 pm

dhabums wrote:
Bertuzzi is not facing fiscal punishment alone. However, it is ludicrous to think the other players in the pile should have some responsibility in this if that is what you are inferring.


I totally disagree with you, when did the neck fracture happen exactly, when Bert, the Av player or when Primeau fell on Moore?

Prove it that Bertuzzi fractured Moore's neck, he should also be sueing the Av and Primeau to cover his ass? I'm no lawyer but that is my thought.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
User avatar
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Gesus Christ.........i hate Moore the ambulance chaser, his greasy family and his scumbag lawyer Danson as much as anyone but Bertuzzi is 100 % culpable here and anyone who believes otherwise is a few bricks short of a load.

End of story.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:38 am

Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm

In a BC Provincial Court, Todd Bertuzzi was already found guilty of assault causing bodily harm. He plea bargained to get that conviction turned into a conditional discharge. He was found responsible in a court of law. Is there any more we need to say about that? Really? He paid his debt to society, but apparently now he has to see if he has to pay his 'debt' to Steve Moore.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby Jovocop » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 pm

ukcanuck wrote:Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.


Bingo. To me, Moore is just a greedy bastard that is trying to hit the jackpot.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby Vpete » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:37 pm

The day I heard one of Moore's team mates or other comrades in the NHLPA stand up for his lawsuit was the day I was okay with it.

Oh wait...

None of them have.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gesus Christ.........i hate Moore the ambulance chaser, his greasy family and his scumbag lawyer Danson as much as anyone but Bertuzzi is 100 % culpable here and anyone who believes otherwise is a few bricks short of a load.

End of story.


100% scapegoat is more like it.
Not saying he shouldn't be responsible for his actions but there is more to this story than we see in the replays.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby dhabums » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:In a BC Provincial Court, Todd Bertuzzi was already found guilty of assault causing bodily harm. He plea bargained to get that conviction turned into a conditional discharge. He was found responsible in a court of law. Is there any more we need to say about that? Really? He paid his debt to society, but apparently now he has to see if he has to pay his 'debt' to Steve Moore.


Given the choice between paying millions of dollars in restitution or a slap on the wrist, which would you take. I don't really understand your point, are you saying that being found guilty of a crime should then allow a person to walk free of any financial responsibility? If I get drunk tonight, drive my car into a family and seriously injure a father of four who can then no longer do his job that he has spent years training for and support his family, should I be able to be completely free of any and all claims because I plead guilty to DUI?

This is starting to sound like a god damned Bertuzzi family reunion. And the smart part of the family didn't bother coming.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby dhabums » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:36 pm

ukcanuck wrote:Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.


I bet if your life was altered for the worse, FAR WORSE, you'd consider legal action again the person that inflicted the damage. Christ, I bet there are several people hating on this case that would sue if they got rear ended and their back felt a bit sore. A few likely would even fake it.

Or you can believe that Steve Moore should base his decision on what to do with his life on what a few underpaid, uneducated morons would have done 50 years ago. Is that how you make your decisions? Somehow I doubt it.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:20 pm

dhabums wrote:
volsungr wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375814

Will be going to court next year.


Mostly likely will be settling out of court days or hours before. I sure hope Moore's parents get the millions they are seeking for their suffering.


...and here I thought you were being clever.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby Groovypippin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Hello all. Long timer lurker, occassional poster over at that OTHER site. I have a hard time understanding why folks still get worked up over this ancient history. Does anyone still care about either Moore or Bertuzzi in Vancouver? There are more folks posting in this thread than commented on recent Canucks prospect games, which I find truly surprising.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:13 pm

dhabums wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.


I bet if your life was altered for the worse, FAR WORSE, you'd consider legal action again the person that inflicted the damage. Christ, I bet there are several people hating on this case that would sue if they got rear ended and their back felt a bit sore. A few likely would even fake it.

Or you can believe that Steve Moore should base his decision on what to do with his life on what a few underpaid, uneducated morons would have done 50 years ago. Is that how you make your decisions? Somehow I doubt it.


I'm not saying that Moore should base his decisions on what some uneducated moron did fifty years ago, I'm saying that as far as I know, going back to the development of professional sports there have been plenty of players who have been handed career ending, life changing injuries who accepted that high risk is part of the package and did not pursue the courts for compensation. Right or wrong It seems that the majority of players in the NHL have chosen to leave what happened on the ice right where it was.

As for whether or not I would consider legal action myself, I wouldn't have gone after Naslund's head in the game before, I wouldn't have refused the challenge right afterward, I wouldn't have thought fighting notorious chicken shit Matt Cooke was good enough to settle the feud and I wouldn't have turned my back on Bertuzzi or anyone else in the last moments of the game, so I am pretty sure I wouldn't go for the law suit either...
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:04 pm

dhabums wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:In a BC Provincial Court, Todd Bertuzzi was already found guilty of assault causing bodily harm. He plea bargained to get that conviction turned into a conditional discharge. He was found responsible in a court of law. Is there any more we need to say about that? Really? He paid his debt to society, but apparently now he has to see if he has to pay his 'debt' to Steve Moore.


Given the choice between paying millions of dollars in restitution or a slap on the wrist, which would you take. I don't really understand your point, are you saying that being found guilty of a crime should then allow a person to walk free of any financial responsibility? If I get drunk tonight, drive my car into a family and seriously injure a father of four who can then no longer do his job that he has spent years training for and support his family, should I be able to be completely free of any and all claims because I plead guilty to DUI?

This is starting to sound like a god damned Bertuzzi family reunion. And the smart part of the family didn't bother coming.



I'm just stating a fact. What's not so smart about stating a fact? It happened. I don't care anymore.

So now Moore wants his restitution. If he gets it fine, if he doesn't, I don't give two shits! I get it. My point is...I don't care anymore. It's just another extension of this story for the last seven years. The only thing that's really shitty about the whole damn thing is the Canucks are now possibly going to be on the hook for the actions of one person.

Many of those that were playing for the Canucks that night on Feb.16/04 are no longer part of the team, some still are, but trying to go back and recollect things said, things that were perceived as 'pre-meditated', well good luck proving that and making sure without any shadow of a doubt that everyone that was presumably involved is now financially responsible for the actions of one man? That's up for the judge to decide. I just hope it's over with sooner than later, and perhaps Bertuzzi and all those involved, including the NHL, will find a way to get something that everyone from the incident can live with.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Postby dhabums » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:I'm just stating a fact. What's not so smart about stating a fact? It happened. I don't care anymore.


Nothing wrong with not caring anymore. I just wasn't sure of your point of "stating the obvious". It seemed as if you were saying it with a point in mind. My bad I guess.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5thhorseman, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], ESQ, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests