Bertuzzi/Moore

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Post by Jovorock »

dhabums wrote:
Bertuzzi is not facing fiscal punishment alone. However, it is ludicrous to think the other players in the pile should have some responsibility in this if that is what you are inferring.
I totally disagree with you, when did the neck fracture happen exactly, when Bert, the Av player or when Primeau fell on Moore?

Prove it that Bertuzzi fractured Moore's neck, he should also be sueing the Av and Primeau to cover his ass? I'm no lawyer but that is my thought.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gesus Christ.........i hate Moore the ambulance chaser, his greasy family and his scumbag lawyer Danson as much as anyone but Bertuzzi is 100 % culpable here and anyone who believes otherwise is a few bricks short of a load.

End of story.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

In a BC Provincial Court, Todd Bertuzzi was already found guilty of assault causing bodily harm. He plea bargained to get that conviction turned into a conditional discharge. He was found responsible in a court of law. Is there any more we need to say about that? Really? He paid his debt to society, but apparently now he has to see if he has to pay his 'debt' to Steve Moore.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.
Bingo. To me, Moore is just a greedy bastard that is trying to hit the jackpot.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

The day I heard one of Moore's team mates or other comrades in the NHLPA stand up for his lawsuit was the day I was okay with it.

Oh wait...

None of them have.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gesus Christ.........i hate Moore the ambulance chaser, his greasy family and his scumbag lawyer Danson as much as anyone but Bertuzzi is 100 % culpable here and anyone who believes otherwise is a few bricks short of a load.

End of story.
100% scapegoat is more like it.
Not saying he shouldn't be responsible for his actions but there is more to this story than we see in the replays.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

LotusBlossom wrote:In a BC Provincial Court, Todd Bertuzzi was already found guilty of assault causing bodily harm. He plea bargained to get that conviction turned into a conditional discharge. He was found responsible in a court of law. Is there any more we need to say about that? Really? He paid his debt to society, but apparently now he has to see if he has to pay his 'debt' to Steve Moore.
Given the choice between paying millions of dollars in restitution or a slap on the wrist, which would you take. I don't really understand your point, are you saying that being found guilty of a crime should then allow a person to walk free of any financial responsibility? If I get drunk tonight, drive my car into a family and seriously injure a father of four who can then no longer do his job that he has spent years training for and support his family, should I be able to be completely free of any and all claims because I plead guilty to DUI?

This is starting to sound like a god damned Bertuzzi family reunion. And the smart part of the family didn't bother coming.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ukcanuck wrote:Going all the way back to Eddie Shore and old time hockey, how many muggings have there been? How many assaults on ice, attempts to injure causing grievous injury in the NHL over the years? so many that Bertuzzi's sucker punch and Moore's injury are almost run of the mill, yet how many victims have actually employed a lawyer and charged the guilty party for monetary damages. I don't know what the answer is but I am thinking that its not very many. I can't think of one off the top of my head and that's whats bothering me about Moore, sure he doesn't deserve what happened to him and I don't applaud Bert for his actions I just find the law suit as chicken shitty...I cant explain it better than that.
I bet if your life was altered for the worse, FAR WORSE, you'd consider legal action again the person that inflicted the damage. Christ, I bet there are several people hating on this case that would sue if they got rear ended and their back felt a bit sore. A few likely would even fake it.

Or you can believe that Steve Moore should base his decision on what to do with his life on what a few underpaid, uneducated morons would have done 50 years ago. Is that how you make your decisions? Somehow I doubt it.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dhabums wrote:
volsungr wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375814

Will be going to court next year.
Mostly likely will be settling out of court days or hours before. I sure hope Moore's parents get the millions they are seeking for their suffering.
...and here I thought you were being clever.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Hello all. Long timer lurker, occassional poster over at that OTHER site. I have a hard time understanding why folks still get worked up over this ancient history. Does anyone still care about either Moore or Bertuzzi in Vancouver? There are more folks posting in this thread than commented on recent Canucks prospect games, which I find truly surprising.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:
I bet if your life was altered for the worse, FAR WORSE, you'd consider legal action again the person that inflicted the damage. Christ, I bet there are several people hating on this case that would sue if they got rear ended and their back felt a bit sore. A few likely would even fake it.

Or you can believe that Steve Moore should base his decision on what to do with his life on what a few underpaid, uneducated morons would have done 50 years ago. Is that how you make your decisions? Somehow I doubt it.
I'm not saying that Moore should base his decisions on what some uneducated moron did fifty years ago, I'm saying that as far as I know, going back to the development of professional sports there have been plenty of players who have been handed career ending, life changing injuries who accepted that high risk is part of the package and did not pursue the courts for compensation. Right or wrong It seems that the majority of players in the NHL have chosen to leave what happened on the ice right where it was.

As for whether or not I would consider legal action myself, I wouldn't have gone after Naslund's head in the game before, I wouldn't have refused the challenge right afterward, I wouldn't have thought fighting notorious chicken shit Matt Cooke was good enough to settle the feud and I wouldn't have turned my back on Bertuzzi or anyone else in the last moments of the game, so I am pretty sure I wouldn't go for the law suit either...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

dhabums wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:In a BC Provincial Court, Todd Bertuzzi was already found guilty of assault causing bodily harm. He plea bargained to get that conviction turned into a conditional discharge. He was found responsible in a court of law. Is there any more we need to say about that? Really? He paid his debt to society, but apparently now he has to see if he has to pay his 'debt' to Steve Moore.
Given the choice between paying millions of dollars in restitution or a slap on the wrist, which would you take. I don't really understand your point, are you saying that being found guilty of a crime should then allow a person to walk free of any financial responsibility? If I get drunk tonight, drive my car into a family and seriously injure a father of four who can then no longer do his job that he has spent years training for and support his family, should I be able to be completely free of any and all claims because I plead guilty to DUI?

This is starting to sound like a god damned Bertuzzi family reunion. And the smart part of the family didn't bother coming.

I'm just stating a fact. What's not so smart about stating a fact? It happened. I don't care anymore.

So now Moore wants his restitution. If he gets it fine, if he doesn't, I don't give two shits! I get it. My point is...I don't care anymore. It's just another extension of this story for the last seven years. The only thing that's really shitty about the whole damn thing is the Canucks are now possibly going to be on the hook for the actions of one person.

Many of those that were playing for the Canucks that night on Feb.16/04 are no longer part of the team, some still are, but trying to go back and recollect things said, things that were perceived as 'pre-meditated', well good luck proving that and making sure without any shadow of a doubt that everyone that was presumably involved is now financially responsible for the actions of one man? That's up for the judge to decide. I just hope it's over with sooner than later, and perhaps Bertuzzi and all those involved, including the NHL, will find a way to get something that everyone from the incident can live with.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

LotusBlossom wrote: I'm just stating a fact. What's not so smart about stating a fact? It happened. I don't care anymore.
Nothing wrong with not caring anymore. I just wasn't sure of your point of "stating the obvious". It seemed as if you were saying it with a point in mind. My bad I guess.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ukcanuck wrote: As for whether or not I would consider legal action myself, I wouldn't have gone after Naslund's head in the game before, I wouldn't have refused the challenge right afterward, I wouldn't have thought fighting notorious chicken shit Matt Cooke was good enough to settle the feud and I wouldn't have turned my back on Bertuzzi or anyone else in the last moments of the game, so I am pretty sure I wouldn't go for the law suit either...
Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Steve Moore's actions from the point of the hit to his actions up until the point of the end of his career.

The hit was cheap and it should have been a penalty. But it was a hockey play just like Rome's hit. S*** happens.

Brad May should have pounded Moore right after the hit. He didn't try hard enough to get at him.

The Canucks should have knocked the crap out of him that game. If not him, grab Sakic and knock the s*** of their captain.

The Canucks should have done something the next game. Still nothing.

The Canucks should have done something the final game. Sure he ignored invites. F*** the invite. Take the god damned penalty and do your job. They didn't. Run him through the boards. Run Sakic again until he does drop the gloves.

15 seconds before the end of his career, Steve Moore skated away from a fight with Pronger. I bet he wishes he took the fight.

Still, as many hockey people have said (because I assume what I say means zero), he fought Cooke and that should have been the end of it. You can blame Moore for picking his spot if you want to. WTF Cooke was trying to fight him is beyond me. You do seem stuck on the code of what players do but you don't seem prepared to accept that Moore fought Cooke. If it bothers you, blame Cooke for asking. Moore fought, and if you love the idea of what players have done for decades, that should be enough for you.

Back to you. I applaud your bravado. But I bet if your livelihood is taken away from you due to a criminal act, you will consider and then definitely pursue legal action. Would it make any real difference if Moore fought May, Ruutu, Pronger, Allen and whoever else and THEN Bertuzzi hit him? Same result. Same crime. Would he be allowed to sue then? Or would anything short of murder have been ok?

Maybe he can sue JQ for being so stupid to have him out there.