BC Lions 2011

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

BC Lions 2011

Post by CFP! »

Alright, 2-6 to start the season.

Not AS bad as 1-7 last season.

Can we still get into the playoffs (I mean grey cup?)?

Much diff team, new additions, injury replacements, and a QB starting to grasp a leadership role.

Go Lions GO!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: BC Lions 2011

Post by LotusBlossom »

Lulay had a good game tonight. Bruce, Geroy and Foster had a good game, and the D did well with a depleted Edmonton offense.

I'm just glad we're not cheering for the Riders.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Really should have been a shutout. What a stupid rule..... 3 points for doing your job, 1 point for failing at it.

Hmmm..... that actually sounds a bit like what some fans would want in the NHL.
2011..... the one that got away.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Really should have been a shutout. What a stupid rule..... 3 points for doing your job, 1 point for failing at it.

Hmmm..... that actually sounds a bit like what some fans would want in the NHL.

The Canucks should have gotten mini Stanley cups for participating in the finals for crying out loud!!! :mrgreen:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I rather liked Lulay's game last week. Hoping he does well when I see him in Toronto on Labour Day.

Wally is going nowhere. Braley will not go back on his word about keeping him. If he is gone, the earliest will be next season. I feel Wally should stay as GM but find a new coach. I am not a fan of either Benevides or Chapdelaine but if I had to keep the lesser of two evils, I'll keep Benevides. Buono should've and could've gone after Dickenson as the OF Coordinator in the off-season but didn't and he remained with the Stampeders.

The receiving core could use a lesson in catching the ball and the secondary could use a lesson in tackling. Too many times so far this season that the Lions have the opposition with a 2nd and long and get burned by a 15+ yard gain with bad coverage and lack of proper tackling.

I really like Lulay, and I see a lot of good game in the kid.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

For anyone living in or around the Chilliwack area I have vouchers for 3 free kids tickets (12 and under) to tomorrows Lions game.

PM me if you want them.
2011..... the one that got away.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:For anyone living in or around the Chilliwack area I have vouchers for 3 free kids tickets (12 and under) to tomorrows Lions game.

PM me if you want them.
If I can find three 12 year olds, will you bring them to East Van? BTW, ignore any amber alerts.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

dhabums wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:For anyone living in or around the Chilliwack area I have vouchers for 3 free kids tickets (12 and under) to tomorrows Lions game.

PM me if you want them.
If I can find three 12 year olds, will you bring them to East Van? BTW, ignore any amber alerts.
If anyone asks, I will voucher for you.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I really hope we can turn it around and win the Grey Cup this year.....

I mean it's totally awesome to be the best of 8 whole teams!!!!!

:eh:

I still think Vancouver and Toronto should petition for NFL franchises and the CFL should just adopt NFL rules/regs, expand back into smaller US markets and become the NFL's AHL. Maybe call themselves the AFL? The Amateur Football League.....
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:

I still think Vancouver and Toronto should petition for NFL franchises and the CFL should just adopt NFL rules/regs, expand back into smaller US markets and become the NFL's AHL. Maybe call themselves the AFL? The Amateur Football League.....

The trouble with that is American rules sucks, the narrow field and tiny endzones favours the defence, the narrow field means that there is hardly any room for a lateral play to the outside, and plays starting in the redzone are doomed as there are 20 mammoth sized players taking up all the room needed to make a play.
Four downs is one too many, making it unnecessary to pass when one can run the ball for 2.25 yds per carry for a first down.
The ridiculous number of time outs and TV time outs stretch the game out too long and the 40 second play clock is way too long between plays. Not only does it allow for some literal freaks of nature to play as linemen it also combines with all the time outs to allow a team with the lead in the fourth quarter to run the clock out much more often.
Even the absence of a single point or rouge takes away from the unpredictable nature of football, and the fair catch on punts and kickoffs removes the chance for an exciting run back.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

ukcanuck wrote: The trouble with that is American rules sucks,
So I take it your a CFL fan then eh? :rockin:

If the Leos could play the Boatmen all season we'd be undefeated!

Still dissapointed in some of the finish in the red zone, McCallum was a beast and converted what the Gore and Foster couldn't. Ahem, Simon and Bruce! Get open!

Count down is on till I'm at the new Telus park/BC Place in October. Will be the first game for the little man. Need to get him some ear muffs.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

CFP! wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: The trouble with that is American rules sucks,
So I take it your a CFL fan then eh? :rockin:

If the Leos could play the Boatmen all season we'd be undefeated!

Still dissapointed in some of the finish in the red zone, McCallum was a beast and converted what the Gore and Foster couldn't. Ahem, Simon and Bruce! Get open!

Count down is on till I'm at the new Telus park/BC Place in October. Will be the first game for the little man. Need to get him some ear muffs.
The first thing I am gonna do when I get home is go to a Lions game at the new park. I think that it will be great to have the size to draw in large crowds once again. I wished that I could have seen the empire site for old times sake, but really all the best memories were at BC Place. lets hope the winning ways return as well.
admittedly the boatmen are going to make anyone look good but the next few games against Calgary and Edmonchuck will tell the tale about who will be there at Grey Cup.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: the narrow field and tiny endzones favours the defence, the narrow field means that there is hardly any room for a lateral play to the outside, and plays starting in the redzone are doomed as there are 20 mammoth sized players taking up all the room needed to make a play.

Yes, because the ocean sized endzone in the Industrial League makes it such an exciting game.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

CFL > NFL

NFL marketing >>>>>>>>>>>>>> CFL marketing

With 2 minutes left in a game and with only a touchdown the difference in the NFL the game is over, in CFL there is still time. I like the NFL but prefer the CFL for action and I think a better over all game. I would like to see the CFL expand in the US into smaller markets and work together with the NFL, CFL will always be a bit of a farm league for the NFL and there is nothing wrong with that.

PS - an earlier post was deleted here, I guess I cannot make my opinions felt about the Lion coaching staff, interesting. Still don't like Wally and D and O co-ordinators. The game is past them and it is time to move on to a fresh approach or this team will continue to be mid level of the league. 3 of the 4 wins were against Toronto and Sask, nothing to write home about.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

^^^ Indeed.

On another note, was anyone else at yesterday's final game at Empire?

Full props for the pre-game ceremony paying respects to the 9/11 tragedy.

Plus, that anthem singer was fuckin' lights-out hot!!!