Tautologies

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Tautologies

Post by Per »

I've always been fascinated by CONCACAF (The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football). :roll:

I'd love to rename UEFA in a similar fashion, perhaps The Union of European, Scandinavian and Norwegian Football Associations?

I don't know... Perhaps The Union of Football Associations in Europe, the British Isles and Guernsey?

Which do you like better?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Tautologies

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:I've always been fascinated by CONCACAF (The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football). :roll:

I'd love to rename UEFA in a similar fashion, perhaps The Union of European, Scandinavian and Norwegian Football Associations?

I don't know... Perhaps The Union of Football Associations in Europe, the British Isles and Guernsey?

It's a bit of a stretch to call that a tautology..... Maybe the doubling of Scandinavian and Norwegian part or the Europe and British Isles.....

There isn't really alot that I would deem tautological in the CONCACAF, it's just longwinded.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:
Per wrote:I've always been fascinated by CONCACAF (The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football). :roll:

It's a bit of a stretch to call that a tautology..... Maybe the doubling of Scandinavian and Norwegian part or the Europe and British Isles.....

There isn't really alot that I would deem tautological in the CONCACAF, it's just longwinded.
Well... The Caribbean is part of Central America, and Central America is part of North America, so the whole name just doesn't make any sense.

They should just call it the Confederation of North American Association Football.
Shorter, simpler and more to the point.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Over here, most people I would talk to would consider the British Isles and all of the Scandanavian countries part of Europe.....

Over here, those same people would probably say that Central America consists of everything from Mexico to the tip of Columbia and Venezuala. Nor would they include the Caribbean in Central America. Even though Mexico is politically considered part of the North American Union or whatever it was that GW was putting together, I have grown up thinking of North America being Canada and the US. Central America being Mexico to the top of Columbia, and South America everything else down to the south ends of Chile and Argentina. But whatever floats your boat.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I know that a lot of people use the term North America loosely to just refer to Canada and the USA, but didn't they ever learn the continents of the world at school? :eh:

Geographically, North America ends at the Panama Canal. Below that you have South America. Central America is a term used for the Southern part of North America, and Central America combined with South AMerica gives you Latin America.

Either way, if you look at how FIFA divides the world, they follow the continents. There are federations for Africa, Asia, Oceania (aka Australia, but I guess the Kiwis prefer the other term....), Europe, South America - and then there's Concacaf.... :roll:

For some reason there is no federation for the Antarctica. :(

Anyway, since it is obvious that they have divided the world according to the established continents (some modifications though, Israel is part of UEFA rather than having to face all their Arab neighbours in World Cup qualifications :lol:, and Australia actually switched to Asia a couple of years ago, which makes it really lucky that the Oceania division goes by that name rather than the alternative ), it would be logical to just use the traditional name for the North American continent rather than adding a number of subdivisions to the name.

But I guess people just don't know geography any more. :(

I've seen ads for trips to "Europe and Scandinavia" which makes just as little sense.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Corporately, we used the term Meso America to define our region of Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

Travelling through US Immigration on my way to Belize while I worked there, I showed my Belize Work Permit (I was the return leg of my ticket). The bright cute young US Immigration officer looked at the document and read Belize CA, handed it back to me and proclaimed, "there is no Belize in California."

I politely informed her that CA is the initials for Central America and that the world is a big place and thinking globally may be an asset to her position.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: For some reason there is no federation for the Antarctica. :(
Yeah, I think that's just a biased over-sight on the part of the world of Soccer. Soccer is run by Nazi's.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:
Per wrote: For some reason there is no federation for the Antarctica. :(
Yeah, I think that's just a biased over-sight on the part of the world of Soccer. Soccer is run by Nazi's.
Well, it could also be the problems associated with trying to grow grass there, and finding enough people to field two teams. Penguins are cool in many ways, but they're not really that great ball players.