A Clash of Civilisations

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

A Clash of Civilisations

Post by Per »

Italian politician arrested in Stockholm for beating his son in public:

http://www.thelocal.se/35982/20110906/

Corporal punishment of children has been illegal in Sweden since 1979.
Apparently it's still considered OK in Italy.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: A Clash of Civilisations

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hmmm...

I have friends that have kids that are totally out of control and use the law on their side so their parents can't even spank the kids or else they'll be arrested but the kids act like assholes to the whole world. That's the other end of the spectrum.

I never slapped my child, but I can count on one hand how many times she has been spanked over the years. I explained to her why she was getting spanked, and how she should remember for next time not to do those things so she doesn't have to receive a spanking. For the most part, a good talking to and grounding was enough to get the message across.

Now as a teenager, if she gets 'out of line' (which hardly ever happens because she's a totally awesome kid) I just take privileges away.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Spanking your kids = failure!

No reason... no excuse.... ever!?!?! Image

As a society we don't allow adults to go around hitting each other so why on Earth would anyone think it's ok to hit a child?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ODB wrote:Spanking your kids = failure!
Pretty blanket statement there.

As a society we don't allow adults to go around hitting each other so why on Earth would anyone think it's ok to hit a child?
http://www.psychpage.com/family/library/spank.htm

Spanking isn't beating and my child hasn't been spanked since she was 9 years old.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: As a society we don't allow adults to go around hitting each other so why on Earth would anyone think it's ok to hit a child?
OKAY, let's bring back public floggings!

As for the ole woodshed approach on kiddies, I like the maxim "spare the rod, spoil the child".

And I don't want to see any "rod" jokes. :evil:

Honestly though, I have 3 children and I only had to spank ONE of them (half-dozen times or so??).

But perhaps "Time Outs" are great if one happens to be raising an alternate-lifestyle-type-kid??

Who knows....

So corporal punishment of children is more acceptable in Italy than Sweden?

Did not know that!

Although the few statistics I find this morning seem to indicate it's just the other way around in regards to..

capital punishment of children (aka abortion).

I mean for those who consider abortion to equate with capital punishment......

Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

beat your kids
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:Spanking your kids = failure!

I couldn't agree more ODz, you so much as touch your kid you should be thrown in jail for child abuse. No excuses. In this modern secular society the fire & brimstone mentality has no place.
If you can't use your intelligence to nurture and discipline your child you probably shouldn't be a parent... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: I couldn't agree more ODz, you so much as touch your kid you should be thrown in jail for child abuse. No excuses. In this modern secular society the fire & brimstone mentality has no place.
Hmmm perhaps you'd feel more comfortable ole chum if you moved to some God-forsaken place such as Sweden.

Meanwhile here in the Free World:

http://www.corpun.com/cad00401.htm#12678
Arachnid wrote: If you can't use your intelligence to nurture and discipline your child you probably shouldn't be a parent... 8-)
So you believe in "disciplining" children.... mentally?? :shock:

So wot are we talkin here? Intellectual bullying?? Psychological/Emotional-torture??

Good God, how positively evil!! :crazy:

No offense ole bean, but if you were spanked more as a child you prolly never would've adopted such barbaric beliefs.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: I couldn't agree more ODz, you so much as touch your kid you should be thrown in jail for child abuse. No excuses. In this modern secular society the fire & brimstone mentality has no place.
Hmmm perhaps you'd feel more comfortable ole chum if you moved to some God-forsaken place such as Sweden.

Meanwhile here in the Free World:

http://www.corpun.com/cad00401.htm#12678
Arachnid wrote: If you can't use your intelligence to nurture and discipline your child you probably shouldn't be a parent... 8-)
So you believe in "disciplining" children.... mentally?? :shock:

So wot are we talkin here? Intellectual bullying?? Psychological/Emotional-torture??

Good God, how positively evil!! :crazy:

No offense ole bean, but if you were spanked more as a child you prolly never would've adopted such barbaric beliefs.
Doc...I already live in a God-forsaken place...remember.... ;)

I was never beaten as a child, I'm sure my parents were but I geuss I just convinced them to lay off me...violence begats violence afterall...just ask the Israelis :P

I am pretty strong mentally butt I prefer to call it Master Manipulating™ ...I mean we all do it...we get it 24/7 from the TV, Interweb, government propaganda, school....I've been accused of being a righteous intellect on these here boards and I can convince you I am not...I am a mere mortal. Saaaaaaaaaaaaay where is Dr. Spock when we need him anyways......i gots a teenager at home now that is manipulating the hellout of every adult around him...hmmmmmmmmm....

I may be an arsehole sometimes Doc...butt I'm no ones arsehole than my own... :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: I may be an arsehole sometimes Doc...butt I'm no ones arsehole than my own... :mex:
Now how could one ever know that for certain?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: I may be an arsehole sometimes Doc...butt I'm no ones arsehole than my own... :mex:
Now how could one ever know that for certain?
Oh...let's just call it a gut feeling :D