The War On Voting

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

The War On Voting

Post by Per »

The USA is already the Western democracy that has the lowest turnout of voters in general elections, but this is not enough!
While most countries do what they can to increase voter turnout, the GOP has decided the US should do the opposite.
As inconvenient as it is to register to vote, it can still be made harder.
And that's the way to go, according to this recent article in Rolling Stone Magazine:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... g-20110830
In Texas, under "emergency" legislation passed by the GOP-dominated legislature and signed by Gov. Rick Perry, a concealed-weapon permit is considered an acceptable ID but a student ID is not. Republicans in Wisconsin, meanwhile, mandated that students can only vote if their IDs include a current address, birth date, signature and two-year expiration date – requirements that no college or university ID in the state currently meets.
:lol:

Anyone carrying a concealed gun is trustworthy, but people enrolled at a university are clearly not to be trusted! :roll:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The War On Voting

Post by the Dogsalmon »

remember Per...the only reason your primary language is not German is because of the USA...if the Nazi's wanted to take your country back then it would have taken about 45 minutes...stop being so smug...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:The USA is already the Western democracy that has the lowest turnout of voters in general elections, but this is not enough!
While most countries do what they can to increase voter turnout, the GOP has decided the US should do the opposite.
As inconvenient as it is to register to vote, it can still be made harder.
And that's the way to go, according to this recent article in Rolling Stone Magazine:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... g-20110830
In Texas, under "emergency" legislation passed by the GOP-dominated legislature and signed by Gov. Rick Perry, a concealed-weapon permit is considered an acceptable ID but a student ID is not. Republicans in Wisconsin, meanwhile, mandated that students can only vote if their IDs include a current address, birth date, signature and two-year expiration date – requirements that no college or university ID in the state currently meets.
:lol:

Anyone carrying a concealed gun is trustworthy, but people enrolled at a university are clearly not to be trusted
! :roll:
Aside from your implication that having a permit to carry a concealed firearm automatically makes a person a criminal, or has something unsavory to hide, It seems to me that anyone who has qualified for a weapons permit, would have had their primary residency established and therefore would be able to register to vote. while a being a student does not provide certainty that they are who they say they are or that they are actually residents of that jurisdiction.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

the Dogsalmon wrote:remember Per...the only reason your primary language is not German is because of the USA...if the Nazi's wanted to take your country back then it would have taken about 45 minutes...stop being so smug...
Dont forget Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, The USSR, and assorted Poles, Czechs and other Eastern Europeans.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

the Dogsalmon wrote:remember Per...the only reason your primary language is not German is because of the USA...if the Nazi's wanted to take your country back then it would have taken about 45 minutes...stop being so smug...
Actually, the Soviets beat the Germans, but the US arriving at the scene right before the curtain call may have saved me from having mandatory Russian classes at school...

Not that it helped much. I'm fluent in German and took Russian for three years in high school just for kicks. :drink:

And it probably would have taken more than 45 minutes. Denmark took almost a whole day and Norway nearly a week. And we had a stronger army than either of those. :wink:

But it also wouldn't have made much sense for the Germans to divert troops our way. They controlled Norway, Denmark and Poland and were basically allied with the Finns. So we were surrounded, posed no threat and were of no strategic significance. It would only make sense to invade us after they had defeated the Soviet Union and Britain, and by the time they would have done that, an invasion would not have been necessary anyway, as we and the Swiss would be the only ones left, and as I said, we posed no military threat to them, nor could we serve as a beachhead for an Invasion by someone else.

The Soviet Union on the other hand were a real threat. If they had conquered Finland and Germany, they would have gone through Sweden to take Norway and gain control of the North Atlantic. Thus the Finns putting up a good fight, the Germans tenderising the Soviets and the Allied Forces arriving on the scene during the last death throes of the Nazi regime helped keep us out of the Warsaw pact, which I guess was a pretty good deal for us.

But we're drifting off topic!

I'm just frustrated that people are trying to weaken democracy instead of strengthening it, whether it be the US, Italy or Russia. From experience ( at Central, but still ) it is much harder to get a thread going when I try to discuss Italian or Russian politics, and I don't know much about the Canadian brand, so US politics it is. 8-)

Orwell predicted a world where government controlled and suppressed all information. Huxley predicted a world where people were flooded with meaningless information and lost track of what is important. Seems Huxley was right.

PS: Besides, I wasn't really criticising the US, but the GOP, and last time I checked it was FDR who declared war on Germany, so I can't really see how WW2 is relevant to the article in Rolling Stone that I linked to. :eh:
Last edited by Per on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

excellent reply...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Aside from your implication that having a permit to carry a concealed firearm automatically makes a person a criminal, or has something unsavory to hide, It seems to me that anyone who has qualified for a weapons permit, would have had their primary residency established and therefore would be able to register to vote. while a being a student does not provide certainty that they are who they say they are or that they are actually residents of that jurisdiction.
Yes but please, let's not get in the way of Per and his mission of flooding the world with meaningless information.

And/or propaganda.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

the Dogsalmon wrote:excellent reply...
It was actually! If it wasn't for the feud w/ the Russians who knows how far the Nazis could have gone. Hell, if they had allied the 2 of them could have probably done it. Actually the US had no interest in stopping their "man of the year" ...but they didn't want the Soviets to snag all those brilliant engineers & scientists.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Strangelove wrote:his mission of flooding the world with meaningless information.
*cough* Concave Earth... *cough*

Anyway, I was going to say that the only answer to a "hey in 1944-45 we kicked the shit out of the few Nazis who weren't otherwise preoccupied with getting the shit kicked out of them by the Russians so therefore we're immune to criticism in 2011" put-down is the "but my Viking ancestors raped and pillaged your Anglo-Saxon grandmas so we rule" theory, but Per actually showed that a detailed and reasoned response can work too. :)

...but, before this turns into another WWII thread, can I ask what any of this has to do with voting?

Anyway, freedom-loving Republicans have a long history of inventing extremely creative legislation that makes voting very complicated for certain groups (that -- just coincidentally -- happen to vote Democrat a lot). In fact, one could argue that Florida 2000 was hijacked on just such shenanigans. But then if W hadn't stolen the election, internet message boards would have been a much duller place...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

As an election officer, I appreciate the reasoning behind having people present identification to vote, albeit that piece of legislation was only introduced in Sweden a couple of years ago, and can still be waived if someone else, having identification, confirms the identity of the person lacking identification. We then write down the identity number of the person identifying the one lacking identification, next to the name of the person they vouched for.

What surprises me though is that the article states some 10% of American adults lack valid identification, and many even lack birth certificates.
Seems completely unbelievable to someone living in a society where we are issued identity numbers at birth, and you can't attend school, open a bank account or pretty much anything without it.

As an election officer, I appreciate the reasoning behind having people present identification to vote, albeit that piece of legislation was only introduced in Sweden a couple of years ago, and can still be waived if someone else, having identification, confirms the identity of the person lacking identification. We then write down the identity number of the person identifying the one lacking identification.

I just wonder how people in the USA get by without being able to present proper identification... I'd assume that means they can never drive a car, have a bank account, live in an apartment or a house, enroll at a school or be treated at a hospital for anything but emergency care? <_<
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Per wrote:I just wonder how people in the USA get by without being able to present proper identification... I'd assume that means they can never drive a car, have a bank account, live in an apartment or a house, enroll at a school or be treated at a hospital for anything but emergency care? <_<
Well hey, if nobody's seen the president's birth certificate, why would normal folks need one? :D
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sick Bunny wrote:
Per wrote:I just wonder how people in the USA get by without being able to present proper identification... I'd assume that means they can never drive a car, have a bank account, live in an apartment or a house, enroll at a school or be treated at a hospital for anything but emergency care? <_<
Well hey, if nobody's seen the president's birth certificate, why would normal folks need one? :D
Oh, I can think of reasons...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Per wrote:
Sick Bunny wrote:
Oh, I can think of reasons...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember skipping school one day with some friends and watching this movie and making burritos!

10% is 35million Americans walking around without any government issued ID...wow. Crazy. Even I have US government issued ID and I don't even live there!
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LotusBlossom wrote: Even I have US government issued ID and I don't even live there!
Your concealed weapons permit?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: Even I have US government issued ID and I don't even live there!
Your concealed weapons permit?
I didn't know such a thing existed! I'm gonna have to get me one of those now! :P

But a birth certificate and an SSN would suffice ;)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde