The Power Forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: The Power Forward

Postby dbr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 am

Whoa guys, hold the phone - we may have our skilled power forward after all:

“This is the first summer in three years when Cody has been healthy and able to train,” says his Edmonton-based agent, Ritch Winter. “He’s a little bit behind the curve with his play because he’s had these injury problems but his attitude is great, he’s probably as strong as he’s ever been in his life and he’s looking forward to this season.”

Hodgson has been training with former NHLer Gary Roberts, much the same as he did last year, and he’s also had something of a boost from former Conn Smythe trophy winner Claude Lemieux, who works with some of Winter’s clients on the mental side of the game.


Link

So there you have it. When the Canucks need someone to deliver punishment to the opponent, we'll all be able to count on Silent G to hit the ice and run someone face-first into the boards. :twisted:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Canuck-One » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Apparently there is a misunderstanding about my position.

Canuck-One wrote:If his knuckles scrape the ice, I don't care. If he only plays 1 minute per game, I don't care.

:|

I think you were better off when your position was misunderstood ;)


Ha Ha Ha it seems you are correct!
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Moving to Blackfalds

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Canuck-One » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 pm

I too hope for a trade to bring in a big tough skilled forward who can log minutes in the top 6. It just doesn't seem to be taking shape as of yet. So we'll fire the banter back and forth until something gets done. I have faith in MG and his abilities to continually identify a problem then get the part needed to fix it.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Moving to Blackfalds

Re: The Power Forward

Postby ESQ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:18 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Lets not forget Eager, Brouwer, Burrish & Boynton as well. I'm referring more to team toughness; I don't see Detroit getting pushed around like the Canucks despite the fact they don't have any goons. I'm not saying the Cup is won on toughness; but it IS won with skilled toughness. You need heart & grit; skill alone will not cut it.


You may be right re. Detroit, but I don't see it that way. I see Detroit moving so fast and passing the puck so well, nobody can get close enough to push them around. Lidstrom doesn't avoid getting pushed around because he's tough, its because nobody can get close enough to hit him. Same with Zetterberg and Datsyuk - nobody is intimidated by them or detered by their "team toughness", they just skate better than most checkers and avoid hits. Of course, I would say both Zetterberg and Datsyuk are victims of physical play for more than the Sedins are, given that they are injured basically every year and play hurt a great deal. So I would say Detroit gets pushed around as much as Vancouver, which (imo) is not much because teams are too afraid of the PP (until the rulebook goes out the window).

Before the SCF, did you think the Canucks were pushed around? I felt all year that the Canucks pushed back just enough, but deterred through PP ability. They outhit the other team drastically in each series before the Finals. The Finals was an utter abortion for officiating, I don't see any way around that. In spite of all the liberties taken, Canucks took almost as many penalties as the Bruins.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Jovocop » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 pm

ESQ wrote:You may be right re. Detroit, but I don't see it that way. I see Detroit moving so fast and passing the puck so well, nobody can get close enough to push them around. Lidstrom doesn't avoid getting pushed around because he's tough, its because nobody can get close enough to hit him. Same with Zetterberg and Datsyuk - nobody is intimidated by them or detered by their "team toughness", they just skate better than most checkers and avoid hits. Of course, I would say both Zetterberg and Datsyuk are victims of physical play for more than the Sedins are, given that they are injured basically every year and play hurt a great deal. So I would say Detroit gets pushed around as much as Vancouver, which (imo) is not much because teams are too afraid of the PP (until the rulebook goes out the window).

Before the SCF, did you think the Canucks were pushed around? I felt all year that the Canucks pushed back just enough, but deterred through PP ability. They outhit the other team drastically in each series before the Finals. The Finals was an utter abortion for officiating, I don't see any way around that. In spite of all the liberties taken, Canucks took almost as many penalties as the Bruins.


I am afraid that you are completely right. Even if the Canucks had a couple of top six forwards, they still would have no chance winning the cup because the refs would have called more penalties against the Canucks. Also, the timing of the penalties were suspicious in many cases. Most of the calls against the Bruins were made when the scores were lopsided.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby damonberryman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am

This conversation about tough or grit is relavant to the Canucks. i read someone who said that Detroit does not get pushed around. There is a reason for that. Did you see Datsyuk go beastie on some San Jose player this season?the Russian fights his own battles. I aree with the person who said the Sedins need to stick up for themselves. I do not think Gillis is going to do anything before the trade period in March. If I was him I would first want to watch theeam and see how they do after the way the season ended, which was about as bad as a sport season that was a success could end. I do not think we need a goon. We need to identify what happened to the best team in the NHL. It is ffunny, but right when Horton was hurt I wondered then if it could end up hurting us. You just knew the Bruins were going to adopt it as a cause because the message to that point was simple. It said 'you cannot skate with the canucks. You are going to have to do somethiing different and they did. I woudl never never never have thought we could lose 4 out of 5 to anyone. Gillis needs to find out why we did. It is not as simple as a tough guy. Something on out team did not work when it was challenged. i knwo we had a ton of injuries. I know it looks like the Bruins got the best of the officiating. I know losing Hamhuis hurt us a bunch. i knwo Lou shit teh bed.....again. We still should have won. Where was our secondary scoring? Werre the Bruins threatening our players on the ice aside from the obvious? This is what Gillis needs to figure out. Not how to get us a goon or even a power forward. We need the latter but teh lack does not explain how a half-assed team like Boston won.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Gillis needs to find out why we did. It is not as simple as a tough guy. Something on out team did not work when it was challenged.


I think MG has figued out what he needs here are this summer signing

Sturm
Byron Bitz
Mark Mancari
Steven Pinizzotto
Darren Archibald
Mike Duco
Todd Fedoruk (PTO)
Owen Nolan (PTO )

To me I see a pattern to what he's done, i know most will end up in Chicago but I'm thinking a couple may end up in Vcr.
cheers
Fred
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Archibald wasn't a summer signing (he was signed during the season) but there's no doubt you're bang on the money. Whether any of those players can play and be effective remains to be seen. Either way the Wolves are gonna be one bitchin miserable team to play against.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Canuck-One » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Archibald wasn't a summer signing (he was signed during the season) but there's no doubt you're bang on the money. Whether any of those players can play and be effective remains to be seen. Either way the Wolves are gonna be one bitchin miserable team to play against.


Your right Clam the Wolves will be the ticket of choice this season in the AHL. Let's hope we can say the same thing about the Canucks, that we are gonna be one miserable team to play against.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Moving to Blackfalds

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 am

Yeah I know Archibald was signed last December or so, but when you look at that list of recent signing and put it together with this years draft selection it looks like MG has had an epiphany of sort. Realization that officials are not calling the game strictly by the book ie you can't rely on the Refs
cheers
Fred
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Fred wrote:
Gillis needs to find out why we did. It is not as simple as a tough guy. Something on out team did not work when it was challenged.


I think MG has figued out what he needs here are this summer signing

Sturm
Byron Bitz
Mark Mancari
Steven Pinizzotto
Darren Archibald
Mike Duco
Todd Fedoruk (PTO)
Owen Nolan (PTO )

To me I see a pattern to what he's done, i know most will end up in Chicago but I'm thinking a couple may end up in Vcr.


Some real fucking bruisers there. :roll: Old Man Nolan is the toughest of the bunch.

Basically these scrubs were brought in to replace the scrubs that departed......Glass, Rypien, Desbiens, Bolduc....
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Topper » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Scrubbing with a new abrasive
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Power Forward

Postby damonberryman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:58 am

To coco. I know I recently sent you a less than thrilling message. I just hate to have people blow off what I say in such a casual manner. However, I read your reponse to the person who told you that ice dancing might be enjoyable and was surprised to see signs of literacy in your post. Just so you knwo I happen to agree with you about needing the talented player who is tough and that a goon would not meet the purpose of the team. However, there are exceptions who play on the fourth or third line of many teams but bring the quality you identify.

Just before trades were halted in March I wrote many times on TSN how we needed a fighter. Someone to protect our stars. I suggested players like Chris Neil or Konopka. If I could pick one I would take Morrow from Dallas. That is the kind of grit I think you are referring to eh? Your use of wit on your rebuttal to canuck was well done from a writing point of view. Keep up the good work. just do not be so quick to slam people.[Mod Edit]

As to Lou, he DID shit the bed as the saying goes. i do not deny his talent and since we got him till eternity starts again i hope he gets it together for this season. i also realize the entire team let us fans down, but Lou embarrassed us with his remarks and his wavving at pucks or getting surprised from the corner. I will never forget the Bergeron goal where Lou stood and watched Bergeron and the puck go by him. ???????????????? that is what we need no more of in any way. IF, and that is a big if, Lou had given us one or two games where he was the reason we won, I would be more charitable. He did not. it does not matter how you slice the pie. Lou played great when the team played team D. When they did not he fell apart. how many seasons of this do you want to watch? I have experienced three seasons of this type of play and want no more. BTW. What happened with Glass. the implication seems to be that because he did not fight the Bruins he lost his job. Right??
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: The Power Forward

Postby coco_canuck » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

damonberryman wrote:To coco. I know I recently sent you a less than thrilling message. I just hate to have people blow off what I say in such a casual manner.


I don't know what message you're talking about, but I take it has to do with your Luongo post that I felt was too extreme, so I responded in kind.

damonberryman wrote:just do not be so quick to slam people.[Mod Edit]


You're pretty direct and abrasive with your point of view and I typically respond in a direct and blunt manner...don't suffer from thin skin on the internet, it'll kill you.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 am

Topper wrote:Scrubbing with a new abrasive

Speaking of scrubs........this thread is getting scrubbed pretty good.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests