The Power Forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The Power Forward

Post by Canuck-One »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Apparently there is a misunderstanding about my position.
Canuck-One wrote:If his knuckles scrape the ice, I don't care. If he only plays 1 minute per game, I don't care.
:|

I think you were better off when your position was misunderstood ;)
Ha Ha Ha it seems you are correct!
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I too hope for a trade to bring in a big tough skilled forward who can log minutes in the top 6. It just doesn't seem to be taking shape as of yet. So we'll fire the banter back and forth until something gets done. I have faith in MG and his abilities to continually identify a problem then get the part needed to fix it.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

ClamRussel wrote:Lets not forget Eager, Brouwer, Burrish & Boynton as well. I'm referring more to team toughness; I don't see Detroit getting pushed around like the Canucks despite the fact they don't have any goons. I'm not saying the Cup is won on toughness; but it IS won with skilled toughness. You need heart & grit; skill alone will not cut it.
You may be right re. Detroit, but I don't see it that way. I see Detroit moving so fast and passing the puck so well, nobody can get close enough to push them around. Lidstrom doesn't avoid getting pushed around because he's tough, its because nobody can get close enough to hit him. Same with Zetterberg and Datsyuk - nobody is intimidated by them or detered by their "team toughness", they just skate better than most checkers and avoid hits. Of course, I would say both Zetterberg and Datsyuk are victims of physical play for more than the Sedins are, given that they are injured basically every year and play hurt a great deal. So I would say Detroit gets pushed around as much as Vancouver, which (imo) is not much because teams are too afraid of the PP (until the rulebook goes out the window).

Before the SCF, did you think the Canucks were pushed around? I felt all year that the Canucks pushed back just enough, but deterred through PP ability. They outhit the other team drastically in each series before the Finals. The Finals was an utter abortion for officiating, I don't see any way around that. In spite of all the liberties taken, Canucks took almost as many penalties as the Bruins.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote: You may be right re. Detroit, but I don't see it that way. I see Detroit moving so fast and passing the puck so well, nobody can get close enough to push them around. Lidstrom doesn't avoid getting pushed around because he's tough, its because nobody can get close enough to hit him. Same with Zetterberg and Datsyuk - nobody is intimidated by them or detered by their "team toughness", they just skate better than most checkers and avoid hits. Of course, I would say both Zetterberg and Datsyuk are victims of physical play for more than the Sedins are, given that they are injured basically every year and play hurt a great deal. So I would say Detroit gets pushed around as much as Vancouver, which (imo) is not much because teams are too afraid of the PP (until the rulebook goes out the window).

Before the SCF, did you think the Canucks were pushed around? I felt all year that the Canucks pushed back just enough, but deterred through PP ability. They outhit the other team drastically in each series before the Finals. The Finals was an utter abortion for officiating, I don't see any way around that. In spite of all the liberties taken, Canucks took almost as many penalties as the Bruins.
I am afraid that you are completely right. Even if the Canucks had a couple of top six forwards, they still would have no chance winning the cup because the refs would have called more penalties against the Canucks. Also, the timing of the penalties were suspicious in many cases. Most of the calls against the Bruins were made when the scores were lopsided.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

This conversation about tough or grit is relavant to the Canucks. i read someone who said that Detroit does not get pushed around. There is a reason for that. Did you see Datsyuk go beastie on some San Jose player this season?the Russian fights his own battles. I aree with the person who said the Sedins need to stick up for themselves. I do not think Gillis is going to do anything before the trade period in March. If I was him I would first want to watch theeam and see how they do after the way the season ended, which was about as bad as a sport season that was a success could end. I do not think we need a goon. We need to identify what happened to the best team in the NHL. It is ffunny, but right when Horton was hurt I wondered then if it could end up hurting us. You just knew the Bruins were going to adopt it as a cause because the message to that point was simple. It said 'you cannot skate with the canucks. You are going to have to do somethiing different and they did. I woudl never never never have thought we could lose 4 out of 5 to anyone. Gillis needs to find out why we did. It is not as simple as a tough guy. Something on out team did not work when it was challenged. i knwo we had a ton of injuries. I know it looks like the Bruins got the best of the officiating. I know losing Hamhuis hurt us a bunch. i knwo Lou shit teh bed.....again. We still should have won. Where was our secondary scoring? Werre the Bruins threatening our players on the ice aside from the obvious? This is what Gillis needs to figure out. Not how to get us a goon or even a power forward. We need the latter but teh lack does not explain how a half-assed team like Boston won.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Gillis needs to find out why we did. It is not as simple as a tough guy. Something on out team did not work when it was challenged.
I think MG has figued out what he needs here are this summer signing

Sturm
Byron Bitz
Mark Mancari
Steven Pinizzotto
Darren Archibald
Mike Duco
Todd Fedoruk (PTO)
Owen Nolan (PTO )

To me I see a pattern to what he's done, i know most will end up in Chicago but I'm thinking a couple may end up in Vcr.
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Archibald wasn't a summer signing (he was signed during the season) but there's no doubt you're bang on the money. Whether any of those players can play and be effective remains to be seen. Either way the Wolves are gonna be one bitchin miserable team to play against.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

ClamRussel wrote:Archibald wasn't a summer signing (he was signed during the season) but there's no doubt you're bang on the money. Whether any of those players can play and be effective remains to be seen. Either way the Wolves are gonna be one bitchin miserable team to play against.

Your right Clam the Wolves will be the ticket of choice this season in the AHL. Let's hope we can say the same thing about the Canucks, that we are gonna be one miserable team to play against.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah I know Archibald was signed last December or so, but when you look at that list of recent signing and put it together with this years draft selection it looks like MG has had an epiphany of sort. Realization that officials are not calling the game strictly by the book ie you can't rely on the Refs
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
Gillis needs to find out why we did. It is not as simple as a tough guy. Something on out team did not work when it was challenged.
I think MG has figued out what he needs here are this summer signing

Sturm
Byron Bitz
Mark Mancari
Steven Pinizzotto
Darren Archibald
Mike Duco
Todd Fedoruk (PTO)
Owen Nolan (PTO )

To me I see a pattern to what he's done, i know most will end up in Chicago but I'm thinking a couple may end up in Vcr.
Some real fucking bruisers there. :roll: Old Man Nolan is the toughest of the bunch.

Basically these scrubs were brought in to replace the scrubs that departed......Glass, Rypien, Desbiens, Bolduc....
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Scrubbing with a new abrasive
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

To coco. I know I recently sent you a less than thrilling message. I just hate to have people blow off what I say in such a casual manner. However, I read your reponse to the person who told you that ice dancing might be enjoyable and was surprised to see signs of literacy in your post. Just so you knwo I happen to agree with you about needing the talented player who is tough and that a goon would not meet the purpose of the team. However, there are exceptions who play on the fourth or third line of many teams but bring the quality you identify.

Just before trades were halted in March I wrote many times on TSN how we needed a fighter. Someone to protect our stars. I suggested players like Chris Neil or Konopka. If I could pick one I would take Morrow from Dallas. That is the kind of grit I think you are referring to eh? Your use of wit on your rebuttal to canuck was well done from a writing point of view. Keep up the good work. just do not be so quick to slam people.[Mod Edit]

As to Lou, he DID shit the bed as the saying goes. i do not deny his talent and since we got him till eternity starts again i hope he gets it together for this season. i also realize the entire team let us fans down, but Lou embarrassed us with his remarks and his wavving at pucks or getting surprised from the corner. I will never forget the Bergeron goal where Lou stood and watched Bergeron and the puck go by him. ???????????????? that is what we need no more of in any way. IF, and that is a big if, Lou had given us one or two games where he was the reason we won, I would be more charitable. He did not. it does not matter how you slice the pie. Lou played great when the team played team D. When they did not he fell apart. how many seasons of this do you want to watch? I have experienced three seasons of this type of play and want no more. BTW. What happened with Glass. the implication seems to be that because he did not fight the Bruins he lost his job. Right??
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

damonberryman wrote:To coco. I know I recently sent you a less than thrilling message. I just hate to have people blow off what I say in such a casual manner.
I don't know what message you're talking about, but I take it has to do with your Luongo post that I felt was too extreme, so I responded in kind.
damonberryman wrote: just do not be so quick to slam people.[Mod Edit]
You're pretty direct and abrasive with your point of view and I typically respond in a direct and blunt manner...don't suffer from thin skin on the internet, it'll kill you.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:Scrubbing with a new abrasive
Speaking of scrubs........this thread is getting scrubbed pretty good.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

For those wondering if Gillis is feverishly trying to make a deal for a top 6 power forward...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374962

excerpt:
"We think we have a really strong team," Gillis said Thursday. "We don't really see a tremendous weakness.

"Of course there are certain players that you would love to have that are on other teams and (you) think they would fit in well here. They are impossible to get at this point. We are really confident in the group we have."

Gillis remains open to any deals that might come along.

"If something comes our way between now and the start of the season we are going to act upon it," he said. "You can't manufacture it.

"It's either there or not there."

Boston pushed Vancouver around in the final. The Bruins were the school yard bully while the Canucks were the A student having their lunch money robbed.

Gillis isn't prone to rash moves. He's analytical in his approach to making his team better, whether it's finding the right third-line centre or hiring a sleep doctor to determine the best travel arrangements.

That's why Gillis dismisses suggestions the Canucks need more grit in their lineup. Maybe a big, powerful forward that can bring a physical presence.

"We played the best teams in the league through the playoffs," said Gillis, who was named the NHL's top executive last season. "No one suggested we needed to have a different look.

"We got into a series with Boston. You can debate as long as you want. They were the better team. We had a lot of injuries and were unable to respond to certain situations."

Alrighty, then. Same "soft" top 6 approach (excluding Kesler), I guess. :(

I wasn't happy when Gillis signed Sturm - not because Sturm can't be a decent player, but because Vancouver already has Burrows, Samuelsson, Raymond, and even Hansen who all fill a similar role. They don't need more of the same - instead they need a Dustin Brown, David Backes type.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!