America Is Eff'd!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: America Is Eff'd!

Post by Cornuck »

Ok - that's over the top. When it gets to the point that people are insulting each other by saying that they 'may' be Bachmann fans, it's time to cool off. :crazy:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

America's tolerance of the current tax and spend system may stem from inability to distinguish fact from fiction.

Perhaps math is under appreciated.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Per, only an idiot/moron would actually believe all that crap and I know you’re not an idiot so.... Image
Which crap? The stuff you quoted from the New York Times?
Or do you mean the stuff Michelle Bachmann says?
Hmmm perhaps I should rephrase....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Per, only an idiot/moron would actually believe all that crap and I know you’re not an idiot so.... Image
Which crap? The stuff you quoted from the New York Times?
Or do you mean the stuff Michelle Bachmann says?
Hmmm perhaps I should rephrase....
No, seriously; I quote three sources:
* The New York Times survey you linked to
* A follow up article in New York Times on the previously published survey
* A list of dubious Bachmann statements being fact checked and found mostly false

What is it you consider crap? And why?

Please enlighten me. :)

Or was I mistaken in assuming Palin, Beck and Bachmann are powerful voices within the Tea-totallers? :eh:

Personally I'd be more intrigued by the Tequila Party! :D
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

This is a strange topic for a sports board but i welcome it. i too live in the States. NY to be exact and it is different from most of the states. More of a social network for those in need. Hwoever, it is going teh way of the dodo bird. I have been here 20 years after spending my first 40 years in Canada. Born in Vancouver. Miss it a lot but most of all I miss the feeling of being part of a nation that cares. The normal Yank is a good person. They have a big heart and are very welcoming. What the big problem here boils down to is patriotism. In America it is not just being happy about the Country you are born in. Watch them when they sing the Anthem. A majority will have their hand over their heart. they REALLY believ they are the most wonderful place in the planet and that we all want what they have right down to their fat ass. I feel sad for working class Yanks even though I am now one of them. They are tied in their jobs by their medical plan. I was between jobs down here and had to take out what they call COBRA. this where you keep the insurance from work. It cost me 1200 dollars per month to keep my family safe. think about that for a sec. 1200 every month and there is no tax break for any of it beyond the standard. I will say they do not want Universal medical for a variety of reasons. if you listen to the propaganda it would be surprising that any Canadian gets medical service at all. Their industry lies about us and other places that have it. They get the least amount of paid vacation of all Western Nations. there is no Paternity leave and Maternity leave in many jobs is a week. Day care is ruinous in cost. They have only two parties which reduces all debates to a cartoon dialogue. Hell. the republicans even told the American people that they would be teh party of NO once Obama was elected. can you imagine a white president being questioned about their birth certificate?

I feel quite strong on this topic. my kids are Yanks and I think they are growing up in a place which is headed for disaster. America is despised all ove rthe world. too bad eh?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote: And the large number of prominent tea party spokesmen that have been wearing tin foil hats in public and questioning whether th epresident's birth certificate is fake only helps reinforce the picture of this movement as a bunch of morons. Sorry. They just don't seem to deserve being taken seriously... :|
30% of Tea Party Folk Believe Obama was Born Outside the US, Compared to 20 % of Americans Overall

http://s3.amazonaws.com/nytdocs/docs/312/312.pdf (just over halfway down)

Per: It's moronic to paint all Tea Party folk as "morons".
I just meant that people lead by the likes of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and Michelle Bachman do not seem to choose their leaders wisely, if you get my drift. And if they themselves resemble these leaders, then to me it would seem likely that they are morons
With all due respect ole pal, that's a pretty moronic thing to state considering:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 0110201489

"The Tea Party groups clearly do not identify with any particular national leaders, an indication that there is no tea party front-runner to take on Obama in 2012. When asked to name a national leader who best represents their views, more than a third of the groups said 'no one.'

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin received the most mentions, with 14 percent, followed by talk-show host Glenn Beck with 7 percent and South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint with 6 percent."

But I suppose it would be fair to state ~30% of Tea-partiers are morons.

But then it might be just as fair at this point to state ~51% of Europeans are morons....
Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote: I know you are not an idiot, which is why I would have a hard time envisioning you in the tea party camp.
Poll Finds Tea Party Backers Wealthier and More Educated Than the General Public

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/po ... 5poll.html

Per: It's idiotic to paint all Tea Party folk as "idiots".
Who says idiots can't be wealthy or well educated? :eh:

... I do not think all "tea party folk" are idiots. Just the vast majority of them.
More idiotic/bigoted statements?! :shock:

Do some proper research for a change or go back to sauna-building budski! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote: I just meant that people lead by the likes of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and Michelle Bachman do not seem to choose their leaders wisely, if you get my drift. And if they themselves resemble these leaders, then to me it would seem likely that they are morons
With all due respect ole pal, that's a pretty moronic thing to state considering:

"The Tea Party groups clearly do not identify with any particular national leaders, an indication that there is no tea party front-runner to take on Obama in 2012. When asked to name a national leader who best represents their views, more than a third of the groups said 'no one.'

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin received the most mentions, with 14 percent, followed by talk-show host Glenn Beck with 7 percent and South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint with 6 percent."

- - -

You realise of course that the article you quote is from last year and that a lot of tea has passed under the bridge table since?

Some site called conservativenewsandviews.com seems to endorse Bachmann as the tea party candidate: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com ... candidate/

And a poll of several tea party leaders points in the same direction:
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... and-perry/

But I probably shouldn't believe all that crap, eh? :roll:
Last edited by Per on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

damonberryman wrote:This is a strange topic for a sports board but i welcome it. i too live in the States. NY to be exact and it is different from most of the states. More of a social network for those in need. Hwoever, it is going teh way of the dodo bird. I have been here 20 years after spending my first 40 years in Canada. Born in Vancouver. Miss it a lot but most of all I miss the feeling of being part of a nation that cares. The normal Yank is a good person. They have a big heart and are very welcoming. What the big problem here boils down to is patriotism. In America it is not just being happy about the Country you are born in. Watch them when they sing the Anthem. A majority will have their hand over their heart. they REALLY believ they are the most wonderful place in the planet and that we all want what they have right down to their fat ass. I feel sad for working class Yanks even though I am now one of them. They are tied in their jobs by their medical plan. I was between jobs down here and had to take out what they call COBRA. this where you keep the insurance from work. It cost me 1200 dollars per month to keep my family safe. think about that for a sec. 1200 every month and there is no tax break for any of it beyond the standard. I will say they do not want Universal medical for a variety of reasons. if you listen to the propaganda it would be surprising that any Canadian gets medical service at all. Their industry lies about us and other places that have it. They get the least amount of paid vacation of all Western Nations. there is no Paternity leave and Maternity leave in many jobs is a week. Day care is ruinous in cost. They have only two parties which reduces all debates to a cartoon dialogue. Hell. the republicans even told the American people that they would be teh party of NO once Obama was elected. can you imagine a white president being questioned about their birth certificate?

I feel quite strong on this topic. my kids are Yanks and I think they are growing up in a place which is headed for disaster. America is despised all ove rthe world. too bad eh?
might be strange but its in the bar & grill so is open to any topic Per se. However you may find many threads to be Tops and many a sick bunny posts there. Also many dont give a rats ass about what they say. O D em Bastards eh? just try not to get cornuckled for the banter. Stay on your Mëds if needed or prescribed, EPC dbr may get your spider sense tingling. Expats from BC pop in U well served being a saint as compared to the alternative. Get on your hoss n ride cowboy ride if it hurts, u keep on riding ex canuck if you must. Or stick around and list yer catastrophic thoughts right here. Freedom of speech is important to us too..thats should about do it love the strangeness..damonberryman
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote: I just meant that people lead by the likes of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and Michelle Bachman do not seem to choose their leaders wisely, if you get my drift. And if they themselves resemble these leaders, then to me it would seem likely that they are morons

- - -

You realise of course that the article you quote is from last year and that a lot of tea has passed under the bridge table since?

Some site called conservativenewsandviews.com seems to endorse Bachmann as the tea party candidate: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com ... candidate/

And a poll of several tea party leaders points in the same direction:
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... and-perry/
HILARIOUS!!

Ummm so you've found absolutely nothing to challenge those numbers from 10 months ago. :lol:

It's okay I hear most bigots don't/won't/can't admit to their bigotry.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

damonberryman wrote:This is a strange topic for a sports board but i welcome it. i too live in the States. NY to be exact and it is different from most of the states. More of a social network for those in need. However, it is going the way of the dodo bird. I have been here 20 years after spending my first 40 years in Canada. Born in Vancouver. Miss it a lot but most of all I miss the feeling of being part of a nation that cares. The normal Yank is a good person. They have a big heart and are very welcoming. What the big problem here boils down to is patriotism. ...
Great post and sums up a lot of what I think about living down here. I've always said that 1 on 1, most Americans are great people - but every four years they turn into complete idiots. It's the politics / media machine that's leading them down a path to ruin, and like you say - it's the patriotism that keeps them believing that it's going to work out just fine.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:Ummm so you've found absolutely nothing to challenge those numbers from 10 months ago.
Actually, I think I did; two separate sources of recent date naming Bachmann "the tea party candidate".
Ten months ago she wasn't in the running, so it's kind of logical she wasn't mentioned then.
Strangelove wrote:It's okay I hear most bigots don't/won't/can't admit to their bigotry.....
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ( Princess Bride )
The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religion or spirituality, nationality, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigot

Since tea party members do not really qualify as any of the above, your use of the word bigot is not really standard English usage. But you knew that. You just enjoy calling me that. But wait...! Let's go to the roots of it, and it will soon become interesting... 8-)
The twelfth century Anglo-Norman author Wace claimed that bigot was an insult which the French used against the Normans, but it is unclear whether or not this is how it entered the English language.
According to Egon Friedell, "bigot" is of the same root as "Visigoth". In Vulgar Latin, the initial v transformed into b (a phenomenon today encountered in Iberian languages, such as Spanish and Portuguese; visi had truncated into bi in Vulgar Latin (a phenomenon common in French and Portuguese).

OK... So the French called the Normans, who hailed from Scandinavia, bigots, which was basically a vulgarised word for Visigoths. And the Visigoths, who defeated the Hunns, plundered Rome and later ended up ruling Spain, were of course a branch of the Goths. Now, who were the Goths?
The Goths (Gothic: Gutans, Old Norse: Gotar; German: Goten; Latin: Gothi; Greek: Γότθοι, Gótthoi), were an East Germanic tribe of Scandinavian origin who played an important role in the history of the Roman Empire after they appeared on its lower Danube frontier in the 3rd century. Their language, Gothic is the oldest attested Germanic language. Throughout their history, the Goths founded several powerful kingdoms in Europe, and played the major role in the defeat of the Huns and the initiation of the Reconquista.
The first recorded incursion of Goths into the Roman Empire took place in 238. Written records about the Goths prior to this date are scarce. The most important source is Jordanes’ 6th-century, semi-fictional Getica which describes a migration from Scandza, believed to be located somewhere in modern Götaland (Sweden), to Gothiscandza, which is believed to be the lower Vistula region in modern Pomerania (Poland), and from there to the coast of the Black Sea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

And here we go full circle! The Goths came from Sweden!
Bigot is really a racial slur against Scandinavians in general and Swedes in particular! :shock:

It's really a bit like using the N word! :evil:

You... er... uhm... bigot?! :hmmm:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You are right Per, that was interesting (and FUNNY!).

You dance with the best of em bud! ;)

Also... interestingly & funnily enough... you omitted the first & last sentence of the Wikipedia definition!
Per wrote:
The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religion or spirituality, nationality, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders.

Since tea party members do not really qualify as any of the above....
The above was prefaced with:

"A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs."

And followed with:

"Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views."

So yeah you're a bigot, but at least you're an interesting funny bigot! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I am reading this guy who sounds good on this post. he has his argument well laid out and points to the fact that Amerika is wealthy for real. What he left out was a little thing called wealth discrepancy. Taking figures from teh NY Times supplied by the CIA, it turns out Amerika has teh greatest wealth discrepancy of any Western Nation. By far. They are on par with Singapore and Hong Kong. This boils down simple. In Amerika the rich are getting a lot richer while the poor are getting screwed. I have liven in this place for twenty years after forty in Canada and England. This is a country for the rich. they are taking more and more away from teh social safety net that helps the poor. That is what they call good. The Tea Party is mainly made up of older people who want their retirement accounts to remain high. They do not want Universal health because the Medical Industry and the Pahrmaceutical people will lose money. Even Warren Buffet came out recently and said to raise taxes on teh wealthy as Congess has done enough for all the Billionaires. The Amerikan politician is a whore whoservices whatever they are told to service by their money people. Do not be fooled. The reason everything here in the states is so crazy is due to a two party system that turns exchanges of thought and plans into slogans and loyalty to teh Party. They are insane down here and are despised in most of the world. Not that they care much. they KNOW in their hearts that it is jealousy and nothing else.That would be teh same heart they put their hand over when their Anthem plays. Do not get me wrong. the average Yank is just like anyone, but oh my are they being sold a bill of goods.