Media storeys that make you go - WTF

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Media storeys that make you go - WTF

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Scientists discover naturally-occurring agent that could lead to sandwiches that stay fresh for more than a year.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/1 ... latestnews

:shock:

Bad news for Subway....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Strangelove wrote:link
Good thing those beams didn't come up in the shape of a crescent or a menorah then, or there would've been all hell to pay!

In hindsight, it was a brilliant marketing move by the early Christians to adopt the cross as a symbol. Simple but effective, easy to mass-produce, easy to improvise, easy to see in just about anything. Of course, true believers can convince themselves they're seeing complicated religious imagery in just about anything, as evidenced by the Jesus on a toast phenomenon.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Strangelove wrote:Scientists discover naturally-occurring agent that could lead to sandwiches that stay fresh for more than a year.
U.S. scientists discovered a naturally-occurring agent that destroys the bacteria that cause meat, fish, eggs and dairy products to rot.
I'm made of meat.

Maybe scientists have discovered the fountain of youth.
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

You are made of water...meat!!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: I'm made of meat.

Nah, but this stuff might keep your corpse looking more lifelike over time....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I wonder if McDonalds already puts it on their meats. Buddy of mine worked at the automotive department in Walmart and threw a cheeseburger patty into the rafters. 6 months later he was up on a ladder or scissor lift and the patty was still there, fully in tact and just a tad dusty :o
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote: I'm made of meat.

Nah, but this stuff might keep your corpse looking more lifelike over time....
that gives me the creeps.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

What the Latest Antimatter Breakthrough Means

http://www.salon.com/technology/feature ... index.html

The purpose of creating and holding antimatter is to study this strange twin of matter in the hope of solving one of the great riddles surrounding the creation of the universe -- and thereby explain why we are here at all.

Basic laws of physics postulate that matter and antimatter should have been created in equal quantities in the Big Bang and gone on to cancelled each other out, leaving behind only energy. That means no stars, no planets, no people.

Why are we here at all? And, given that we are, why are we not made of antimatter instead?

"People are confounded by this. The question of what happened to antimatter is one of the grand challenges of physics," Fajans told a GlobalPost reporter on a visit to CERN, located just outside Geneva near Switzerland's border with France. "It is astounding, and it's also embarrassing, that no one knows why this is the case.

"Matter and antimatter annihilate one another … We shouldn't be here. But we are here. There is clearly an excess of matter … which means something is likely wrong with the theory of the Big Bang."

Physics is by nature iconoclastic. Take the neighbouring Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest and most famous scientific experiment, which is hunting for the Higgs Boson, the so-called God Particle (a term physicists, not surprisingly, loathe.) Physicists need the Higgs Boson to exist in order to confirm their overarching theories. But it would be more interesting if it turned out not to exist, Fajans said.

"The fun starts when theories are broken," he said, somewhat mischievously. "The LHC is on a campaign to find the Higgs Boson. They'll probably find it, but it would be much more interesting if they didn't."
Hmmm... I know of a certain newsletter-writer who swears there is an antimatter world. The inhabitants of that world know of us and refer to us as “Bizarro World”. They tend to scoff at us, saying things like “Only in Bizarro World would people believe ridiculous theories such as the ‘Big Bang!’”.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Strangelove wrote:Scientists discover naturally-occurring agent that could lead to sandwiches that stay fresh for more than a year.
Just in time. My portable electric cooler wasnt working on my last camping trip. I was forced to do a mass cook of the perishables.

EPC made of meat? Jerky Boy!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rayxor wrote: EPC made of meat? Jerky Boy!
My word, how unsavoury!!

Although admittedly one wonders wot kind of Eddy recipe Topper might come up with. Image

If cannibalism were socially acceptable I mean....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Strangelove wrote:
What the Latest Antimatter Breakthrough Means
Followed by nothing in particular about what it means.
Hmmm... I know of a certain newsletter-writer who swears there is an antimatter world. The inhabitants of that world know of us and refer to us as “Bizarro World”. They tend to scoff at us, saying things like “Only in Bizarro World would people believe ridiculous theories such as the ‘Big Bang!’”.
Shock, horror, stop the presses, scientists find something they don't understand. Science proven wrong, civilization collapses in disappointment, everybody else returns to cave painting.

Seriously Doc, you're an intelligent man obviously, how can you have so little understanding of how the scientific process works? Or are you just trolling?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Rayxor wrote: EPC made of meat? Jerky Boy!
Although admittedly one wonders wot kind of Eddy recipe Topper might come up with.

If cannibalism were socially acceptable I mean....
two of my favourite movies are "The Cook The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" and "Parents".

Their used to be a web site that claimed to be the largest purveyor of human meat to institutional kitchens in the USA. After it was up and running for a few month, they had to put a disclaimer that the site was a joke.

I recall asking if they sold veal?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Ouch! My eyes! :crazy:
Yup, that's wot you get!

And if you soak up their latest... "Setsu Bigguban"... you'll go completely blind! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.