Ignorance...... or just rude ?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Ignorance...... or just rude ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So we were at the property for a couple of weeks recently wating for the contractors to make some headway on our cabin. While we are up there we have some very nice digs to stay in until our place is ready and it's looking like it'll be Labour Day before we can stay in it. The wife's uncle has a 3000 square foot home on the same lake about two mintues drive from our place. He is never there as he also has a place in Powell River and one in Whistler so he likes us staying there because we clean the place up and cut the grass etc.

We knew his daughter was coming up during the 2nd week of our stay there and she mentioned that she was bringing up some people to stay with her and her family. Turned out it was a bullshit story just to get us to beat it...... at least that's what us and a few others figured. I can drink with the devil himself if it comes down to it and it's a 5 bedroom place so what the fuck ?

She phones after the 4th day we were there and announces that all of her guests have cancelled. Doubtful they were ever coming but whatever. She says she's coming on Friday...... then proceeds to show up on the Sunday. First thing she does when they get there is ask the wife if she and her family can use our boat and atvs when we leave. The wife says no because of liability, just trying to be nice. Now they are royally pissed, hardly talk to us the rest of the 3 days we have to spend with them. If it was a piece of shit car topper and two garbage quads I wouldn't mind the adults using them. But the boat is worth 8 - 10 K and the atvs are worth at leat 5 K each. It isn't junk but that's not really the point. I relented and let their older daughters go for an quad ride . One of them just guns the quad at 50 right down a residential road and almost dots a little girl ( parents are friends of ours) on a bike. After they come in I pull the pin on the quads for kids. After that I'm the Grinch for sure but i don't give a fuck because all the insurance in the world won't cover you if someone is operating a quad under the age of 16.

So as we continue to have a shitty time with them, I find out other things that they have done up there. Borrowing another guys boat up there without asking and popping his tube but not owning up to it. Using his wharf to swim at when he's not there and draining his boat of gas etc. I just can't believe someone would have the audacity to do shit like that or even ask to borrow your shit like that. Maybe I'm the asshole ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Ignorance...... or just rude ?

Post by ClamRussel »

I see things your way on this one Blobster
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well there definitely is an asshole in this here story..... :look:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

When the young punks have their own money into the cabin and toys they may understand. But until then, not a chance.

Until you pay for and earn a toy, its yours to abuse and break- right? :evil:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I could see ignorance of insurance and liability being a factor, but borrowing without asking or asking and then taking the answer like a bitch is.. well we all know what that is.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I vote both ignorant and rude.
If you ask to use things that are not typically lent out like boats and quads, you are already ignorant of basic social graces.
If, once you are denied, you have a little silent temper tantrum and act like that then you are a rude bitch.

It seems like people really have no idea sometimes.
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I would like to add......disrespect. no respect for anything ....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Remind them that folks in the Cariboo wave to one another from their trucks when they pass on the road.

They are also handy with a hunting rifle.
Last edited by Topper on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So...
Spoiled brats? I can't believe you caved in and let them use them, compounding the problem and creating a family rift.
You are the adult and have to take some responsibility for it...hope you can help fix it before they get out in the real world amongst us and they get shitkicked by one of us in a line-up at the liquor store...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

You know we wanted to have our daughter have her own ATV if we went on a tour up in Whistler, but it wouldn't be possible due to what you just said. The insurance doesn't cover someone who is operating one under the age of 16.

Not ignorance. If they have done this a few times...it's just plain rude.

Hope things work out, Blob, but that's just not right.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I vote both ignorant and rude.
If you ask to use things that are not typically lent out like boats and quads, you are already ignorant of basic social graces.
If, once you are denied, you have a little silent temper tantrum and act like that then you are a rude bitch.

My thoughts exactly udl. Spidey is probably right in that I shouldn't have caved in to the kids, but it was the parents who acted like idiots afterwards. I neglected to mention that my wife's uncle was the previous owner of the previously mentioned boat and quads but I don't think that should make a difference. He DID let them use his toys when he wasn't there but that is his daughter, his son inlaw and grandkids...... still shouldn't make a difference. Dude is a millionaire and it's his immediate family, not a cousin.

I just think it's extremely rude to even ask a cousin or even a close friend. A parent or a sibling, maybe. I wouldn't do it myself but I can see where others might. Thing is they could have purchased the toys themselves but they are too fucking cheap. I'm not even getting into the liability factor which just reeks of pure ignorance on their part. Son in law, while a good boater does NOT have his boatsmart license which is kinda key these days. If he hits someone out on the lake or hits something my insurance is null and void. He could split the hull and if it were proven he was driving I'd be hooped. Like those cheap assholes are going to cough up if they damage something.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The right thing for them to have done would be to wait for things like that to be offered instead of asking.

Most people learn the basic skills of courtesy and humility as a 5 year old.
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I vote both ignorant and rude.

My thoughts exactly udl. Spidey is probably right in that I shouldn't have caved in to the kids, but it was the parents who acted like idiots afterwards. I neglected to mention that my wife's uncle was the previous owner of the previously mentioned boat and quads but I don't think that should make a difference. He DID let them use his toys when he wasn't there but that is his daughter, his son inlaw and grandkids...... still shouldn't make a difference. Dude is a millionaire and it's his immediate family, not a cousin.

I just think it's extremely rude to even ask a cousin or even a close friend. A parent or a sibling, maybe. I wouldn't do it myself but I can see where others might. Thing is they could have purchased the toys themselves but they are too fucking cheap. I'm not even getting into the liability factor which just reeks of pure ignorance on their part. Son in law, while a good boater does NOT have his boatsmart license which is kinda key these days. If he hits someone out on the lake or hits something my insurance is null and void. He could split the hull and if it were proven he was driving I'd be hooped. Like those cheap assholes are going to cough up if they damage something.
Yeah, spoiled rich kids eh?! Wotta ya gonna do?! How do you teach them respect, not to be rude or ignorant?!

Name them all Sue kick them out on the f'street! That's what!!!! :evil:

Send the parents to jail :scowl:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Total bs on their party.

It'd be different if you knew and liked them, and have used the equipment together such that you know they're responsible and will respect the toys. They barely know you; do you really care what they think?
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Oh wow Blob what a bunch of babies. I would expect a reaction like that from kids but from adults wtf?

Tell them to stay inside and play video games or something. What the hell are kids trying to do outside anyway? :P
All jokes aside, you made the right move.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.