The Extreme Weather Thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Extreme Weather Thread

Post by tantalum »

No chance to get to that game....I'm in France that week on business.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

tantalum wrote:No chance to get to that game....I'm in France that week on business.
Much better location!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, I guess New York still stands.

Anyone out there on that coast?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Found some before and after clean up photos of Joplin.

http://php.news-leader.com/joplin/cleanup1.php
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Per wrote:So, I guess New York still stands.

Anyone out there on that coast?
Not in NY, just in TO for a short (but seemingly longer) stint and then back to the West Coast. As we were driving through the 407 (toll hwy) a 10 minute or so hard rain fall and thunderstorm decided to slow or stop traffic. Couldn't see out of the windshield. It also started to hail a bit during that downpour. Yesterday it was fairly warm with small showers here and there. Today I was at the Blue Jays game with a friend and it was about 13 and windy. Strange weather indeed. Meanwhile, I was just informed by my spouse that it's gorgeous at home :evil: I always seem to pick the wrong time to leave home for work this year it seems.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We've just had two camp days in a row because the helicopter can't get us to the project area. The pilot managed to sneak in around mid day yesterday and pull the nightshift drill crew off the mountain after they had been there for 18hrs.

First winter low pressure system hitting the northcoast and moving slow.

The geese are already gathering and heading south. The moose are moving for rut. This is all about a month earlier than usual.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Yup, hockey season has begun:

Photo taken yesterday in the province of Lappland. I live further south though, so I still haven't switched to studded tyres, even if they're legal between Oct 1st and Apr 15th. We seldom get snow before November, so I think I may wait another couple of weeks.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It's been in the 80's here for the last couple of weeks - great now, but we'll be paying for it in the winter.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote:It's been in the 80's here for the last couple of weeks - great now, but we'll be paying for it in the winter.
In the 80's, eh? Wow, I've only ever experienced that in a sauna... :wink:

Edit: Hmm... I've long claimed that the US is the only country still using Fahrenheit whereas all others have switched to Celsius, but I stand corrected... It seems Belize and the Cayman Islands also still stick with the old system. :oops:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Yeah, our friends and family in Winnipeg were in shorts and T-shirts yesterday! Great way to welcome back the NHL to Winterpeg...I guess Mother Nature didn't get the memo that the Jets are back!
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Today marks the one year anniversary of the Joplin Tornado. Many remembrance ceremonies today as well as President Obama giving the graduation address for the high school graduation tonight.

165 killed + 1 rescue worker (lightning).

463 of 555 business have rebuilt and are open (or something like that). Building permits issues for about 80% of the residences destroyed. Pretty quick recovery all things considered.

This time of year is typically the worst for tornadoes around these parts (along with Sept/Oct). So far we've had a pleasant May but it only needs one night of tornado breakouts to get bad.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:Today marks the one year anniversary of the Joplin Tornado. Many remembrance ceremonies today as well as President Obama giving the graduation address for the high school graduation tonight.

165 killed + 1 rescue worker (lightning).

463 of 555 business have rebuilt and are open (or something like that). Building permits issues for about 80% of the residences destroyed. Pretty quick recovery all things considered.

This time of year is typically the worst for tornadoes around these parts (along with Sept/Oct). So far we've had a pleasant May but it only needs one night of tornado breakouts to get bad.
I remember some of those pics you posted last year were just unreal... not to mention your account of the whole ordeal and what your family had to go through.
2011..... the one that got away.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

We're hoping to get a glimpse of Air Force 1 when we go past the airport tonight on our way home (we live about 5 minutes from the Joplin airport whose runways were specifically designed to land Air Force 1).

They are currently prepping the hospital that was hit for implosion as well as the site for the new hospital (south of I-44 instead of north....they decided separating the two hospitals by more than a few blocks would be the best idea for some reason). I think the schools that were hit have finally been demolished and they'll begin constructing the new ones. The high school students this year and certainly next had classes at the mall. An empty box store space was converted into class rooms along with some portable classrooms. Mall business at noon has never been better...

Damages are expected to reach $3 billion.

As a whole we are lucky that Joplin is the center for everything in the 4 state region. Many small cities would have shrivelled up and died after such an event but that simply couldn't happen. Something like 200,000 out of city workers come into Joplin every day to work. It's where the dealerships, movies theaters, big box stores etc are for about a 50 mile radius (if I recall that about 1 million in population)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Happy Anniversary.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Time to go hang gliding. ;p
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.