Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Goons are not the answer as stated above. You need guys who can play who aren't soft.

What would Dallas need for morrow to come this way?
Or Backes out of StLouis? Those are the horses were missing.
Certainly not a scrapper.
If you need air...call it in
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
What would Dallas need for morrow to come this way?
Or Backes out of StLouis? Those are the horses were missing.
Certainly not a scrapper.
I second that motion. If I were GMMG I wouldn't hesitate to overpay a little for a Morrow or Backes type player. I really feel that is all we were missing in the SCF to get us over the hump.

I know that MG isn't afraid to overpay to get what he wants, (Sundin,Demitra,etc) so I would love to see him go out of his way to get one of these guys.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Here's a question then just to try and clear some things up. Do you believe the officiating will be different or the same in this seasons play-offs ??

I think it's fair to say most would like a tough power forward with skill, well we can't currently afford one so who do you trade away to get a power forward ??.... they're like hens back teeth and every GM in the league wants one or better two. To get some thing good you have to give up some thing good. I can't think of too many genuine power forwards out there. Lucic maybe Backes who should MG hone in one.

Given the scarcity of Power Forwards should we settle for a facsimile of the elusive power forward who has less skill than muscle ( and before any one extrapolates this into a goon that's not what I'm talking about here ) but come within our budget, or, do we continue with the turn the other cheek routine ??
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I dont think gillis is exactly turning the other cheek. All the names he has added,while not being the power forward top 6 any position. Have added grit and toughness to our team. Just not headliners, if nolan makes the cut and play above 4th line, there is room for some grit . Its amazing what a couple of tougher players can do...all while being...goonless
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

rats19 wrote:I dont think gillis is exactly turning the other cheek. All the names he has added,while not being the power forward top 6 any position. Have added grit and toughness to our team. Just not headliners, if nolan makes the cut and play above 4th line, there is room for some grit . Its amazing what a couple of tougher players can do...all while being...goonless
I agree the question is really intended to have a sort of review if our expectations are real or illusionary. Seems to me a number of teams are looking at what was successful last season and then imitate...they say the highest form of flattery. MG might be going against his own concept of what or how hockey should be played but he's pragmatic enough to realize the reality of the league & the play-offs and he's trying to find a guy that will not be a liability while adding some grit. I don't know if he had a meeting with the primary players at the end of the season like he did last year but I can't believe that grit didn't come into the conversation. Daniel Sedin came within a whisker of possibly ending his career and I'm sure he doesn't like players using his head as a speed bag.

But really I'm more interested in what other posters think of the 3 questioned I asked
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I mean really if Nolan makes the team he replaces Torres. In his day Nolan was a mean son of a. He brings more skill than Torres but can be tough enough for us if he still has game at this level.

MG this off season has worked on the one weak line we started with last year, the 4th. Lets face it, when healthy the top three lines don't need any adjustment but the 4th line was a disaster for us last year. With Lappy at centre we should have a pretty good one, HW or not.
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:HW or not.
We all know the Canucks need at least one HW. :mrgreen:

I'd never really considered Nolan to be a Torres-replacement. To be honest I don't have many memories of Nolan in his prime. But one thing about Raffi that made him so effective was his quick burst speed, he could accelerate to freight-train speed in 5 paces and not pick up a boarding call, but still deliver utter devestation. I don't remember Nolan being a particularly heavy hitter in Calgary or Minny, but what I do remember is him being seen as a PF-goal scorer.

But if he can replace Torres' physical play on the third line, I'd be very happy.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Fred wrote:Here's a question then just to try and clear some things up. Do you believe the officiating will be different or the same in this seasons play-offs ??
Well, that all depends if the son of the boss of the refs calling the game is on the ice or not.

:-|
Hockey Widow wrote:I mean really if Nolan makes the team he replaces Torres. In his day Nolan was a mean son of a. He brings more skill than Torres but can be tough enough for us if he still has game at this level.
I hope you're right, HW, but I just can't see that those tired 39 year old legs will have the same effect that Torres did.

Since the departure of Cooke, we haven't had a guy that could make that kind of steady physical impact on a consistent basis. As we all know, Matt Cooke is a real class guy and I'm not advocating bringing that element back - but Torres went about it the right way. It was a freaking joy having a heat-seeking missile like that again.

I said it at Central before Torres left and I'll say it again now, if MG doesn't replace RT with an equivalent or better hitter on our 3rd line, the effectiveness that line enjoyed all last year - especially in the playoffs - will drop off. People like to talk about Raffi's inconsistencies, but I think his ability for dishing out punishment was a huge part of what made that line click. I also think it gave Hansen a boost to play with a wrecker like #13. I think he'll be missed more than most want to acknowledge.

Nolan is a step in the right direction, but I can't see Nolan on any line other than the 4th, TBH.

We need a different bruiser for the 3rd.

As a side note: I'm definitely not liking the combos that have been suggested with Raymond on that line - too soft for my taste.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:HW or not.
We all know the Canucks need at least one HW. :mrgreen:

I'd never really considered Nolan to be a Torres-replacement. To be honest I don't have many memories of Nolan in his prime. But one thing about Raffi that made him so effective was his quick burst speed, he could accelerate to freight-train speed in 5 paces and not pick up a boarding call, but still deliver utter devestation. I don't remember Nolan being a particularly heavy hitter in Calgary or Minny, but what I do remember is him being seen as a PF-goal scorer.

But if he can replace Torres' physical play on the third line, I'd be very happy.
Nolan is not known for the bone crunches Torres is known for but in his day he was a tough hard hitting power forward. He may not be fast enough to stay on the third line though but could add some toughness, skill and experience on the 4th line. And still get PP time in front of the net. The one thing he has always had is good hands. So when I say he replaces Torres I don't mean skill for skill as much as I mean his presence and experience. Like Torres he has been known to be a hard worker with a ton of heart.

But as many have said, he was never fast to begin with so depending upon how much he has slowed down and whether he has changed his game enough to still be of value only time will tell. When the twins first broke into the league Nolan was seen by many as the ideal type of RW for them. He still may be able to play with them if he still has that net presence and soft hands.

What I don't remember is if he was ever responsible defensively.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

If he sticks, I can see Nolan on the PP with the sedins. He has the hands to do what's required and the size to defnd his turf long enough to cause shit in the slot. His wheels will be heading south I would expect so I can see his centering the 4th only.

Will never forget his "Babe Ruth" moment at the all star game where he pointed top corner on Brodeur(I think) fom the blue line then went in and nailed it.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Will never forget his "Babe Ruth" moment at the all star game where he pointed top corner on Brodeur(I think) fom the blue line then went in and nailed it.
It was Hasek, and it was golden.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

BladesofSteel wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Will never forget his "Babe Ruth" moment at the all star game where he pointed top corner on Brodeur(I think) fom the blue line then went in and nailed it.
Hasek? Oh yeah! Thanks...wasn't sure and for good reason!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The Nolan I remember was much like a Cam Neeley he scored goals and no one challanged him but he wasn't a Torres style player,
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
Hasek? Oh yeah! Thanks...wasn't sure and for good reason!
One of my fondest All-Star moments of all time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSb_5PHRb1w
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
T-BONE
AHL Prospect

Post by T-BONE »

As has been mentioned already, these are low risk decisions. If they come in and win a job, great. If not, you get rid of them. The slightly intriguing thing as far as Owen Nolan goes is he could fit the bill for the greybeard that helps win us a cup, ala Bill Guerin and the Pens in 2009 and Recchi this year. Owen Nolan is not going to win a cup for Vancouver, but I don't think it will hurt to add some more veteran leadership to the team. But he has to earn it, if the only thing he can bring to this team is experience, then thats not enough IMO.