Predictions for 2011-12

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Predictions for 2011-12

Post by Southern_Canuck »

OK, let's hear some bold predictions!

Here are mine - although they are not all bold... in fact some may seem obvious. But others might be a little bit of wishful thinking, and some, I know, will put me on an island.

Predictions for 2011-12

1) With the departure of Christian Ehrhoff, the Canucks’ powerplay descends to the middle of the pack in the NHL.

2) After Raymond’s recovery from his back injury, he can’t regain his skating speed, and languishes on the 4th line and in the press box for the duration of the year. The Canucks do not qualify him and he becomes an UFA - so the Boychuk hit essentially ends his career.

3) The Canucks struggle during the season, but are still the top team in an awful NorthWest Division, so they get the 3rd seed in the West.

4) After taking criticism in the press, it gets to the point where Luongo refuses to speak to the media at all. Schneider steps in to talk to reporters, but does all of his interviews in a Jannik Hansen voice.

5) At the trade deadline, Gillis deals Hodgson and Schneider for Parise and Hedberg.

6) Ballard continues to struggle as a Canuck, and is eventually traded along with a 2nd round pick to the Coyotes for a 7th round pick. Sulzer and Rome fill in admirably. (you knew that was coming)

7) When Kesler recovers from surgery, Higgins/Kesler is reunited and they produce 60 goals between them.

8) Samuelsson recovers from injury, but can’t regain his 30 goal form, and plays out his contract bouncing between the 3rd and 4th line.

9) Schroeder is called up, and sticks as a winger on the second line with Higgins and Kesler... until Parise arrives, then he is sent back down to Chicago.

10) Sturm-Malhotra-Hansen becomes known as the best 3rd line in hockey, with Sturm and Hansen each scoring 15 goals, and Malhotra back among the leaders on faceoffs.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Predictions for 2011-12

Post by wienerdog »

Not sure if serious...
dchrist2
AHL Prospect

Post by dchrist2 »

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

wienerdog wrote:Not sure if serious...
C'mon VW, you know #6 is serious.

:roll:
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Hank wrote:
wienerdog wrote:Not sure if serious...
C'mon VW, you know #6 is serious.

:roll:
And here I thought CanucksCorner was a whole new beginning...

*sigh*
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

we win the Cup...thats it...anything else is bullfuck...
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hey - it was at least half serious!

Does anyone else have the cojones to put a few predictions out there?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hey - it was at least half serious!

Does anyone else have the cojones to put a few predictions out there?

S_C
I might take a crack at this, S_C, but only when I know what the final rosters are here out West (ie. after training camps).

Unlikely that any major moves are made now, but team complexion can still change substantially. We only found out about RK, for eg, a few days ago.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

1) With a healthy Salo (hahahaha) and Tanev drawing in, I think the powerplay doesn't drop out of the top 1/3rd unless there are some weird stats stuff (like getting faar less pp's than anyone else, like early in this past playoff). Losing Kesler is going to hurt more than Erhoff.

2) Yeah, back injuries can suck. Unless its less serious than thought, Raymond can't work on one of his two major weeknesses - strength and finish.

And strength could help his finish. A lot depends on his recovery and his genetics; is he a late muscle-gainer, or is he perpetually "slender"?

3) bold prediction

4) =D

5) Interesting to see if the cap would let GMMG do that

6) You're pulling our chain now. Personally, I think Ballard bought in, worked his ass off during the summer, and makes an even bigger improvement than Alberts did over the previous summer.

7) bold prediction

8) I agree

9) That would be some great drama - does Shroeder RW with Kes and Higgs be a scenario where Silent G is still in the lineup?

10) Lets hope!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I predict that:

1) the first half of the season will be a bit of a mess, but our division is so weak, we'll be in first or very close to a surprising Flames team by mid-season point, after that the team gets it's groove on.
2) Pleasant surprise #1 will be Ballard having a very solid season, healthy, prepared and given enough time to show he can be a top 4 guy
3) pleasant surprise #2, one of Schroeder or Hodgson, forced into action with the early season injuries, proves they are a keeper.
4) Bad news #1: Sammuellson and Raymond are either too old or injured to ever get back to top 6 form....questions about the 2nd line haunt the team and clog up the radio call in shows
5) Bad news #2: the Luongo/Schneider tandem become a distraction in the first half of the year as Lou is still trying to get his head back together after June and Schneids is riding a hot hand, Lou even has a minor injury, Schneids plays 8-9 games in a row and it is the best stretch for the Canucks in the first half....the debate rages on, Lou or Ginger!?
6) After mid-season, the team takes off, with let's say Hodgson on a line with Jannik Hansen proving to be a bankable pair that can move from 3rd line to 2nd line as need be, and also form part of a 2nd PP unit that has success
7) the team gets some major distance in the division and puts itself in position to finish 2nd in the conference, behind SJ.
8) But then there is a season-ending injury on D, Edler's back is acting up again, and he's got to shut it down
9) that leads to the big league introduction of Kevin Connauton and what do you know, while he makes some mistakes and does not make up for the loss of Edler, the kid can play!
10) Schneider is traded for that power forward and a goalie who can back up RL...I don't know who, I can only see so well at this distance!
11) Canucks have no problem winning the first round, let's say against a rejuvenated CBJ, in 5 games, and then in the next round struggle but still prevail in 6 over, yes indeed, the Hawks, showing that the tables have turned on that rivalry...but the run stops at the Conference finals as SJ finally figures it out and takes us in 7, as they have home ice as conference champs (unfortunately for SJ they lose in the final to the leaves - ha! - no, the Flyers, with Pronger giving it one last push to a Cup.)
12) Longer term prediction...with young Canucks Hodgson, Schroeder and Connautan important pieces of the team in 2012-13 (no lockout by the way), it proves to finally be our year, the Cup is hoisted in June 2013, over the Tampa Bolts in 5 games....
14) with that Cup victory, Boston Canucker stops writing prediction lists as a way to procrastinate from doing his work! :)
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

we win the Cup...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:we win the Cup...
+1
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I predict a slow start, what else is new. But the players competing for the few jobs there will be long term come through and keep us first in the division.

I predict our goalie tandem picks up where it left off last season and looks good.

I predict Kesler will return in early November and by mid December he will be in top form.

Samuellson will be back with a purpose and do just fine.

Malhotra will regain his F/O prowess and once again be a force to anchor the third line.

Cody will enjoy Chicago more than Winnipeg.

Sturm will excite everyone.

Ballard will be solid and garner 40 points this year.

Raymond will recover but it will take until 2012-2013 season before he is 100%.

We will win the cup!!

Oh, I forgot, Nolan will make the team and get 50 points making us all forget how great Torres could hit.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Raymond will recover but it will take until 2012-2013 season before he is 100%.
I'm going to predict the same thing for Kesler. Ask Ballard & Tim Thomas about the year following hip surgery. He's going to have a rough regular season but will find his stride heading into playoffs.
Hockey Widow wrote:Oh, I forgot, Nolan will make the team and get 50 points making us all forget how great Torres could hit.
As long as he speed bags Marchand I'll be satisfied.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I predict, somewhat boldly:

* Ballard will be AV's undoing, and he'll get fired and replaced by McTavish
* Luongo has a good October
* Nolan finishes the season with the twins :oops:
Last edited by Corb on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.