The Great Depression: Anyone else still feeling down?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Great Depression: Anyone else still feeling down?

Post by mathonwy »

Farhan,

About a month ago, I made a thread in CC titled "It still hurts..." outlining how absolutely horrible I still felt a couple weeks after the loss.

I was absolutely destroyed. I had rearranged my entire life this past season to ultimately see a Stanley Cup parade downtown. Instead, I was treated to another f*cking riot. Talking about kicking a REAL Canuck fan while he/she is at his/her lowest.

I'm not going to go into all the emotions I felt as it would just bore the hell outta ya. Suffice it to say, I realized I was just too emotionally invested in something that I have ZERO control over. And hell, it's the Canucks. 41 years of failure. We should all be used to be let down by this team.

But today is different. I've barely thought about the Nucks. I've spent the last month and a bit travelling in Europe and have had an absolute blast. I haven't completely forgotten about the Nucks as I brought three Nucks t-shirts to wear in pictures but it really has been an awesome experience and one I want to repeat.

So my advice? Change your scenery until training camp. Get off the continent of NA where nobody has even heard of the Canucks. You'll gain a much different perspective and it'll take your mind off hockey. We all love the Nucks but ya gotta take of yourself.

Bon chance,

Math.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

:lol: This thread is pretty funny...a depression from a fricken hockey team? Really? I mean really? Come'on, I love the 'Nucks more than anyone and I'll admit for two weeks after we shit the bed in G7 I couldn't and didn't look, talk or think about it. It hit me hard. Now I wear my Canucks garb and punch dumbass leaf fans in the face when they bring it up 'oh you guys lost because of Thelma & Louise'...the point is I am so over it and into next season already...as for the Leaf fans...yeah...they have the balls to critique us going to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Riots? Wot riots?! 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

We all suffer in our own unique way..... :thumbs:

No one way better than another...... :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:We all suffer in our own unique way..... :thumbs:

No one way better than another...... :thumbs:
True ratz true...mourning period may vary but it is just a business in the end. Not a Norwegian lunatic....there is perspective here...
I think I would feel worse if we lost the gold medal to the Americans...
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It took me a bit over a week to get past my "Never going to watch another NHL game" phase. That's gone, and you just have to figure that "Canuck Luck" has to end some time..... right?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: True ratz true...morning period may vary but it is just a business in the end.
I don't know about you guys but it always lasts till noon for me!

:P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: True ratz true...morning period may vary but it is just a business in the end.
I don't know about you guys but it always lasts till noon for me!

:P
Oh a wiesenhiemer eh?! Well when it's morning for you I'm into my second liquid lunch cocktail! :twisted:
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Somehow, seeing these things on bookshelves doesn't help either...

...though I did finally flip through a copy today, and I give them credit for not ignoring the riot.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

its 6 weeks later and all i can say is...fuck...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Heya Fahan: yeah, I was pretty choked when we lost too. I really thought it was our year, but all for not. To make it so close and to fall short like that is a real downer for sure. It took me a few days to get over it. In the end, hockey is just a game and it doesn't really make our lives better or worst, just something to follow and pass the time with me thinks.

Maybe count the blessings that u have in your life. It doesn't have to be something extravagent, but little things like: having a job, kids in your life, good friends/family or a beautiful woman to come home to. :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Maybe count the blessings that u have in your life. It doesn't have to be something extravagent, but little things like: having a job, kids in your life, good friends/family or a beautiful woman to come home to. :D
I thought you were trying to make him feel better, not worse :eh:
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

I am still pissed, I am pissed that the refs let the shit go, I am pissed AV plays Glass over others who could help more, I am pissed at AV and what he did to Ballard when we could of used Ballard vs. Errorhoff and his "injury". I am pissed at the total melt down by Luongo (again) I am pissed because V still has not learnt how to manage Mr. Italy.

I am pissed at the stupid fans and the Vancouver mayor who is more interested in bike lanes than accountability, the guy is the worse mayor ever in Vancouver.

Everyone in Canada can kiss my ass, we have one of the best cities in the world and they suck, the praries are the arm pit of Canada, Ontario is so 90's.

I am worried that the 2011 playoffs was their only chance for the next 10 years, MG getting Sturm??? Really that is the answer? Everyone else he has signed is really a nobody. Too bad Raymond was hurt, he is all skate and no finish and could have been packaged for a real winger.

I am also pissed at the stupid Lions at 0 - 4, when only 18,000 fans attend the game the owner only has himself and Wally and clan to blame. Lastly can't forget the Whitecaps, 1st year in league so you give them some slack but come on get some more wins? How many games did they lose or tie because the other team scores in the last 5 minutes of the game.

OK - done feel better now, time to go to work and earn some money 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BCReefer wrote:I am still pissed, I am pissed that the refs let the shit go, I am pissed AV plays Glass over others who could help more, I am pissed at AV and what he did to Ballard when we could of used Ballard vs. Errorhoff and his "injury". I am pissed at the total melt down by Luongo (again) I am pissed because V still has not learnt how to manage Mr. Italy.

I am pissed at the stupid fans and the Vancouver mayor who is more interested in bike lanes than accountability, the guy is the worse mayor ever in Vancouver.

Everyone in Canada can kiss my ass, we have one of the best cities in the world and they suck, the praries are the arm pit of Canada, Ontario is so 90's.

I am worried that the 2011 playoffs was their only chance for the next 10 years, MG getting Sturm??? Really that is the answer? Everyone else he has signed is really a nobody. Too bad Raymond was hurt, he is all skate and no finish and could have been packaged for a real winger.

I am also pissed at the stupid Lions at 0 - 4, when only 18,000 fans attend the game the owner only has himself and Wally and clan to blame. Lastly can't forget the Whitecaps, 1st year in league so you give them some slack but come on get some more wins? How many games did they lose or tie because the other team scores in the last 5 minutes of the game.

OK - done feel better now, time to go to work and earn some money 8-)
I thought this thread was about feeling down (syndrome?) not anger free for all! :P
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

For the most part, I am over it, at least as it concerns the short term sting of blowing 2-0 and 3-2 series leads in the final (but then as I write that I shake my head, damn!!).

After getting back to Boston I sat shiva on the loss for about a week, and was cranky, but that was about it. I do have moments of just sitting there thinking, what if we'd just got the first goal someway somehow in Game 7?! The other issue I have to deal with, as should be obvious, is all the clownasses around here with their Bruins champion garb, the sports commercials that keep showing Chara raising the cup, and every time I drive past TD Garden on the 93 seeing the big banner about being Cup Champs...I have mini-depressions or just look away so as not to deal or try not to crash the car into the nearest wall!

But in terms of getting over it long term, until they win a Cup, no, won't happen. Think about how much we talked about 94 until last year. The difference is the 94 team is a legend in town for being the underdog that almost did it, and the 11 team will always be the team that should have done it but didn't, they won't be legends until they do it.

I'm ready for next year, looking forward to it, and I am sure they'll be a contending team again and for a few years, but making another run all the way through to the finals again, so much has to happen to do that again, I don't know about next year. I think we're going to see a bit of a hangover....and the regular season is going to feel so so so long, as we all know it'll be about the playoffs more than ever as the Cup drought continues.

Okay one last time: I can't believe they blew a 2-0 lead!....FUCK!! FUCK!!

Okay, I'm done, on to next year.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Boston Canucker wrote:For the most part, I am over it, at least as it concerns the short term sting of blowing 2-0 and 3-2 series leads in the final (but then as I write that I shake my head, damn!!).

After getting back to Boston I sat shiva on the loss for about a week, and was cranky, but that was about it. I do have moments of just sitting there thinking, what if we'd just got the first goal someway somehow in Game 7?! The other issue I have to deal with, as should be obvious, is all the clownasses around here with their Bruins champion garb, the sports commercials that keep showing Chara raising the cup, and every time I drive past TD Garden on the 93 seeing the big banner about being Cup Champs...I have mini-depressions or just look away so as not to deal or try not to crash the car into the nearest wall!

But in terms of getting over it long term, until they win a Cup, no, won't happen. Think about how much we talked about 94 until last year. The difference is the 94 team is a legend in town for being the underdog that almost did it, and the 11 team will always be the team that should have done it but didn't, they won't be legends until they do it.

I'm ready for next year, looking forward to it, and I am sure they'll be a contending team again and for a few years, but making another run all the way through to the finals again, so much has to happen to do that again, I don't know about next year. I think we're going to see a bit of a hangover....and the regular season is going to feel so so so long, as we all know it'll be about the playoffs more than ever as the Cup drought continues.

Okay one last time: I can't believe they blew a 2-0 lead!....FUCK!! FUCK!!

Okay, I'm done, on to next year.

Empathy is the key cornerstone in genuine human relationships. Empathy is conscious. It means one with empathy feels compassion, while those without do not take into account other people's emotions.

Psychopathology reveals that people with an absence of empathy can be defined as a sociopath or psychopath. A person who has empathy understands others.

of course Doc taught me this...:)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….