The Power Forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The Power Forward

Post by wienerdog »

ClamRussel wrote: So why'd MG let Torres go again? ...gotta wonder about that one. We scored 7 goals in the finals and Raffi got a GWG in there. There's a hole on our 3rd line and I have no idea who will fill it.
Clam, couldn't agree more, but I remember reading one of HW's posts that said that the team felt he was an "absolute pig", whatever that means.

Huh, bad for team chemistry?

All I know is that despite his disappearing acts, soft confidence, and sometimes ill-advised judgement, we need a banger like Raffi on the team.

Hell, in that sense, we could use two or three Raffi's...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

You remember correctly. The info I got was that the players felt he was an absolute pig off the ice. Crude, verbally abusive to the female persuasion, a pig of a man's man. He rubbed some the wrong way, but no real details or examples of his behaviour, just that he was not the most popular of guys in the dressing room, so much so that a few players were extremely uncomfortable with his behaviour. That I think was more the reason he was not offered a new contract, it may have affected MG's ability to re-sign a player or two.

On the ice he was effective for us and a player of his caliber will be missed (not at 1.75 though) but I think we will find a way to compensate.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

I'll bet Torres was not re-signed because he doesn't fit into the personality image Gillis wants the Canucks to have.

It must be very disturbing to Gillis that the Canucks have garnered a reputation around the league as biters, divers and whiners. We don't need a loose cannon Raffi further tarnishing our reputation around the league.

Still Torres was useful and one guy who provided grit. He hasn't been replaced yet and I hope Gillis has a plan to do so.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Zedlee wrote:I'll bet Torres was not re-signed because he doesn't fit into the personality image Gillis wants the Canucks to have.

It must be very disturbing to Gillis that the Canucks have garnered a reputation around the league as biters, divers and whiners. We don't need a loose cannon Raffi further tarnishing our reputation around the league.

Still Torres was useful and one guy who provided grit. He hasn't been replaced yet and I hope Gillis has a plan to do so.
Then we have to lose Burrows as well.

perhaps thats why we seem to be stocking up on marginal second line players.. looking for another winger for the twins..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
Then we have to lose Burrows as well.

perhaps thats why we seem to be stocking up on marginal second line players.. looking for another winger for the twins..
At $2 million per season for the next two years, Burrows is one of the best, if not THE best bargains in the league. No way he'll be moved. The storm around the "bite" was over hyped BS. If Bergeron put his fingers in my mouth I would've bit him too. Much ado about nuthin.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:You remember correctly. The info I got was that the players felt he was an absolute pig off the ice. Crude, verbally abusive to the female persuasion, a pig of a man's man. He rubbed some the wrong way, but no real details or examples of his behaviour, just that he was not the most popular of guys in the dressing room, so much so that a few players were extremely uncomfortable with his behaviour. That I think was more the reason he was not offered a new contract, it may have affected MG's ability to re-sign a player or two.

On the ice he was effective for us and a player of his caliber will be missed (not at 1.75 though) but I think we will find a way to compensate.
If that is indeed the case then its a very good thing MG let him go, I would have done the same myself. However....it doesn't change the fact we need more players *like* him in terms of throwing some big timely (legal) hits. I don't know who that is; alot of them are shitdisturbers & weasels like Clutterbuck & Cooke...and guys like Dustin Brown aren't available....the only reason I wanted Torres kept is those types of players are harder to find than some might think...and how do you get rid of him w/o a replacement? That said, sometimes losing a player is addition by subtraction. I felt it was no coincidence that the Canucks turned the corner & caught fire the day they traded Brashear. Hlavac was useless but removing Brash lifted the team. The guy, at that point in his career, appeared to not be interested...had inflated self worth....and was clearly playing just for himself. Not sure what he was like in the room....although after one game he made it to the Roxy before we did if thats any indication of his dedication.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Zedlee wrote:
At $2 million per season for the next two years, Burrows is one of the best, if not THE best bargains in the league. No way he'll be moved.
Over the last 3 years Burrows has 74 ES goals, Ovechkin has 98, Crosby has 83, Kovalchuk has 82. Cap hits respectively are 2, 9.5, 8.7, 6.67. Jeff Patterson had determined that in the 09 calendar year only Ovechkin and Kovalchuk had more ES goals http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514049

Looking at what Burrows has done, that has to be the best non-ELC in the league. The Canucks current situation is enviable - I would say we have many great-value contracts, with Kesler, Sedins,(arguably) Luongo, (hopefully) Salo all playing well above their pay grade. No question Burrows is the best value, but in a sense that also makes him the most valuable for trading leverage. If you're targeting a player (*kaff kaff weber) on a budget-conscious team with other biiiig UFAs coming down the pipeline, a highly productive contract like Burrows has to be attractive.

Having said that, Burrows is my favourite player (gotta love the underdog) and if he can lift a Cup here I would love to see his number retired some day. But if the return is suitable, I would consider moving him (*kaff kaff weber).
Hockey Widow wrote:The info I got was that the players felt he was an absolute pig off the ice
Is a pig like an asshole?
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

ESQ wrote:
Zedlee wrote: Is a pig like an asshole?
Mostly only to women.

A lot of the Canucks seem to be married and a bunch now have young kids. I can certainly see the Sedins - being complete gentlemen - among other players might not enjoy, ahem, ungentlemanly behaviour to say nothing about player wives.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:
No, it is not. A pig is someone who is vulgar, preoccupied with sexual innuendo, is crude and uses profanity a lot. They are known to be verbally offensive and just down right in the gutter dirty little pigs.

An asshole is well, just an asshole.
The only HW the Canucks need
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:
No, it is not. A pig is someone who is vulgar, preoccupied with sexual innuendo, is crude and uses profanity a lot. They are known to be verbally offensive and just down right in the gutter dirty little pigs.

An asshole is well, just an asshole.
I know what you mean HW! I knew a guy like that. He'd look at women and you could just see see he was a pig! He'd lick his lips... ugggh like sick bunny, it was creepy!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:You remember correctly. The info I got was that the players felt he was an absolute pig off the ice. Crude, verbally abusive to the female persuasion, a pig of a man's man. He rubbed some the wrong way, but no real details or examples of his behaviour, just that he was not the most popular of guys in the dressing room, so much so that a few players were extremely uncomfortable with his behaviour. That I think was more the reason he was not offered a new contract, it may have affected MG's ability to re-sign a player or two.

I've posted this before, but I know a guy who once went to a bar with Mark Messier & Grant Fehr back in the day.

BOTH of these guys matched the description above to a tee, especially Mess!

You know they HAD to be major pigs when my buddy left early and cut all ties with them.

Buddy was a goalie and Grant Fehr was his idol up until that night...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hm, anyone wonder if Messier is overcompensating for something?
gary-coleman-mark-messier.jpg
gary-coleman-mark-messier.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
I'm not saying, I'm just saying....
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

ODB wrote:I know what you mean HW! I knew a guy like that. He'd look at women and you could just see see he was a pig! He'd lick his lips... ugggh like sick bunny, it was creepy!
Ummm, shouldn't you be confining your petty little feuds to the Bar &Grill threads? I believe people are discussing hockey in here. Even I know what that is, and there's certainly none to be found in your fine contribution.

(Oh, and given your "Location" -- and history -- people who live in glass houses come to mind.)

I'm sorry folks, I'll just lead this gentleman out the door now. Please carry on.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote:
Having said that, Burrows is my favourite player (gotta love the underdog) and if he can lift a Cup here I would love to see his number retired some day.
Why not ? The bar for retiring sweaters for this franchise is so fucking low as it is, we may as well include Burrows. Hell, why not Babych, Murzyn and Diduck while we're at it ?

The only number that should even be in the rafters is 10......yet we have three others to look at that have no business up there.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Could have honored the jerseys....not retired them.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….