HST

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

How will you vote on the HST referendum (for BC folks only)

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

YES to extinguish the HST
42%
NO to keep the HST
58%

Total votes: 26

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: HST

Post by ClamRussel »

Agreed that is the positive side to the HST or a VAT style taxation system. However, what we don't need is a tax shift from business to consumers. The HST needs to go away so a fair and equitable VAT taxation system can be implemented. One that doesn't tack an additional 5+% on previously exempt items like restaurant food, vitamins, bikes & new homes. I'm hopeful we can scrap the HST & the GST/PST system and bring in a VAT which taxes both business and consumers fairly.

This is a lose/lose situation and we can thank Gordon Campbell and Stephen Harper for this mess. Either way we're getting screwed in the end. Yet more higher taxes with no benefit to social programs and more debt. The provincial budget cannot handle losing the HST nor can it handle keeping it at 10%. The math doesn't add up and mark my words there is trouble coming with or without it. That 2% represents losses in the billions.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

It is not just about tax rate, we need to look at what we pay for with our tax money. Health Care accounts for ~%50 of every dollar we get (if I remember correctly), then add on education, roads etc. At the end of day not only do we have to look at what comes in we need to start looking at how we spend the money.

I know that this may be considered treason but sometimes bringing in a user fee for some medical exams etc will reduce the non needed appointments. I have seen a study done by a group that indicates almost %60 of all emergency room visits are not an emergency and it could of waited, or better yet not gone at all. What has happened to the old saying that you look after yourself.

Doctor's presecrbe drugs like it is candy.

Everyone wants more money which raises our taxes.
hist
CC Rookie

Post by hist »

BCReefer wrote: I know that this may be considered treason but sometimes bringing in a user fee for some medical exams etc will reduce the non needed appointments. I have seen a study done by a group that indicates almost %60 of all emergency room visits are not an emergency and it could of waited, or better yet not gone at all. What has happened to the old saying that you look after yourself.
It's really easy to get as many medical tests as you like when you never see the actual bill. If the patient did actually see it, and was responsible for part of it, I'm sure they might rethink a few of them.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I've made my decision. I talked to a few people who know more about the tax than I do. I've also emailed a fairly knowledgeable (and employed) economist about how the HST works and how what its negative points along with its positive points are to help me further understand why I am voting the way I chose.

My biggest advice to those that are teetering is to find expert help and find what works best for your personal situations. Whether we agree or not, at least your vote was informed and you based your decision on that.

I won't disclose which way I have voted until it's all said and done. I believe everyone has a right to choose freely for themselves.

I look forward to the debate if the HST is passed or not.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

LotusBlossom wrote: I won't disclose which way I have voted until it's all said and done. I believe everyone has a right to choose freely for themselves.
:rofl:

Oh no please, Don't keep us hanging!!! How're we gunna know what todo without LB's endorsement!?!?!? :dripping sarcasm:

I'm voting 'no'... that is, if Christy ever sends me a ballot.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I'm with Clam

Now I have to tell clients that the tax bill is 12% and not 5%. How many potential clients weigh that in their decisions?

Just more corporate offloading to the masses. Anything the ultra right introduces I know who it benefits and who it shafts.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Narg CC wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: I won't disclose which way I have voted until it's all said and done. I believe everyone has a right to choose freely for themselves.

Oh no please, Don't keep us hanging!!! How're we gunna know what todo without LB's endorsement!?!?!? :dripping sarcasm:

If you voted last election, you should have gotten a ballot. At least, most people that I know who voted got theirs. Weird. :eh:

And wow, you're back...oh fun! I'm sure you'll bring up great hockey talk.::Dripping in sarcasm::
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Narg CC wrote:

If you voted last election, you should have gotten a ballot. At least, most people that I know who voted got theirs. Weird. :eh:

And wow, you're back...oh fun! I'm sure you'll bring up great hockey talk.::Dripping in sarcasm::
I never left baby! (according to my pinko friends, I can't say 'baby' anymore.. or 'slut', 'retarded', 'raped'.. there's a long list :evil: )

Hmm, yeah.. I voted in a different riding in '09.. and have moved a couple times since then.. probably what's fucking things up. I have the previous tenant's ballot though.. I wonder if there'd be any harm :thumbs:

(And there are a few ways to interpret your sarcastic comment, but I'll save us the trouble and dismiss them both;) )
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Narg CC wrote: I have the previous tenant's ballot though.. I wonder if there'd be any harm :thumbs: )
Ya, what could possibly go wrong? :eh:
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

ClamRussel wrote:
Narg CC wrote: I have the previous tenant's ballot though.. I wonder if there'd be any harm :thumbs: )
Ya, what could possibly go wrong? :eh:
:D

The guy was a 50-something 'artist'. Pretty sure he moved to Hornby and is now off-the-grid as they say.

Speaking of art, I went to an art show the other day, and have concluded that it's complete bullshit.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

March 21, 2011 on Vancouver's CKYE Red FM 93.1 on why she would not cut the HST rate:
"We aren't going to be talking about trying to reduce it by a point or two before the referendum. I mean, I think people will see that as buying them with their own money," -- Premier Christy Clark

May 25, 2011 : Premier Clark promises to cut the HST by two per cent if British Columbians vote to keep the HST, just two months after she said she would do no such thing. This was also done roughly 2 weeks before referendum ballots were mailed out to voters. Yet another flip flop and more Liberal lies & deception.
Last edited by ClamRussel on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

She had a good teacher....
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BCReefer wrote:It is not just about tax rate, we need to look at what we pay for with our tax money. Health Care accounts for ~%50 of every dollar we get (if I remember correctly), then add on education, roads etc. At the end of day not only do we have to look at what comes in we need to start looking at how we spend the money.

I know that this may be considered treason but sometimes bringing in a user fee for some medical exams etc will reduce the non needed appointments. I have seen a study done by a group that indicates almost %60 of all emergency room visits are not an emergency and it could of waited, or better yet not gone at all. What has happened to the old saying that you look after yourself.

Doctor's presecrbe drugs like it is candy.

Everyone wants more money which raises our taxes.
I pick up enough non-emergency patients and take them in to burden the ER on a regular basis.

I also pick up enough individuals who have learned how to play the system in order to get an ambulance ride into town because they have no car or are half pissed all ready. Half the time they just up and walk out of the ER 15 minutes after arriving and disappear into the bars and/or trashed homes around town. They'll drink their faces off, and probably 10% of the time we pick them up again later that night or the next night because they passed out, got beat up, OD'd.....

I've watched people have a full out seizure while being able to relax on arm so we or the hospital staff can get IV access. Uhh..... yeah..... gonna get some drugs so suddenly you regain partial control of a facet of your somatic nervous system. Ok. Right. :look:

It's ridiculous. And you're right, if people saw the bill they would probably be re-thinking things.

Although maybe not, afterall, they still get a bill for the service if it is non-emergent, but they don't care, the local band picks up the tab (in other words: the government foots the bill either way).

Maybe this was a diversion from the actual topic..... :blush:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Wow!

What hospital? St. Paul's?