The Power Forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The Power Forward

Post by coco_canuck »

Diehard1 wrote: My point? Like Tant, I just don't see Moulson making that much of a difference, and especially not for Hodgson + Ballard. That makes the team worse, IMHO. If a new winger is brought in, he will be a physical player who goes to the net and can pot the odd goal - again, somebody like Brenden Morrow, who brings something different than what's already available. There's no use in bringing in more of what you already have, or a slightly better version of what you have and giving up a lot for it.
That's a terrible trade proposal.

Losing your potential 20 minute 4th d-man and arguably top prospect (Corey is no longer a prospect) for a 2nd line winger that's not particularly physical or fast isn't a smart play. With the Canucks he's a 2nd liner winger and I'm not sure if he's a 30 goal scorer here.

I don't hate Moulson, and I like the fact he scores a lot of goals around the net. but he's not the type of player I'd like to see added to the forward group with Sturm already in the mix.

Someone in another thread brought up David Clarkson. He's the type of player I'd love to see added.

At a $2.67M cap hit, it's a little steep for a player who has never cracked 20 goal or 40 points, but he's a physical, tough presence with a two-way game and decent hands who sticks up for his teammates and loves to drop the gloves.

Maybe with an increased role on an offensive team he can thrive and be a 20 goal scorer. If he does, we have the physical forward we've been looking for.

At worst he's a solid 3rd liner with nastiness.

If the Devils are looking to dump salary, I'd take a flyer on Clarkson as long as he can be had for at a decent price.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Southern_Canuck wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canuc ... story.htmlCanucks need a big winger to keep up with Kesler

excerpt:
Who knows? Maybe Gillis could pry someone like Matt Moulson away from Garth Snow for, oh, Ballard (and his $4.2-million salary) and Hodgson, say.

OK, which one of you is Gord McIntyre? :)

I'm pretty sure that Matt Moulson is not the answer.

S_C
That would be such a Milbury trade its not even funny.

That cripes journalists aren't GMs......I think it was McIntyre who called for the trading of Schneider the day we acquired Luongo.....then every year since that....plus he ramped it up that we HAD to trade him now as soon as Lu signed his 12yr deal. So knee-jerk; glad Gillis has more foresight than our local loud mouthed writers.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

coco_canuck wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: My point? Like Tant, I just don't see Moulson making that much of a difference, and especially not for Hodgson + Ballard. That makes the team worse, IMHO. If a new winger is brought in, he will be a physical player who goes to the net and can pot the odd goal - again, somebody like Brenden Morrow, who brings something different than what's already available. There's no use in bringing in more of what you already have, or a slightly better version of what you have and giving up a lot for it.
That's a terrible trade proposal.

Losing your potential 20 minute 4th d-man and arguably top prospect (Corey is no longer a prospect) for a 2nd line winger that's not particularly physical or fast isn't a smart play. With the Canucks he's a 2nd liner winger and I'm not sure if he's a 30 goal scorer here.

I don't hate Moulson, and I like the fact he scores a lot of goals around the net. but he's not the type of player I'd like to see added to the forward group with Sturm already in the mix.

Someone in another thread brought up David Clarkson. He's the type of player I'd love to see added.

At a $2.67M cap hit, it's a little steep for a player who has never cracked 20 goal or 40 points, but he's a physical, tough presence with a two-way game and decent hands who sticks up for his teammates and loves to drop the gloves.

Maybe with an increased role on an offensive team he can thrive and be a 20 goal scorer. If he does, we have the physical forward we've been looking for.

At worst he's a solid 3rd liner with nastiness.

If the Devils are looking to dump salary, I'd take a flyer on Clarkson as long as he can be had for at a decent price.
I'd take Clarkson, who seems to be a part the Devils will want to/have to get rid of to sign Parise, but I'd only take him after you know exactly what else is out there. He's overpaid for what he contributes even if it is different from what is already on the team, and he's got 2 years left on his deal. I like his style of play, but you need more than a 4th line grinder for $2.67 million a year in cap hit.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

^^^ I'd sooner take Chris Neil at $2mill.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

UMMMmm EXCUSE ME. But it was poster Blob E who suggested David Clarkson for your Vancouver Canucks. Yours truly believes Clarkson could even patrol the wing with the DDAS's OCCASIONALLY if things get a little hot if you know what I mean.

Yes sir SOMETIMES I don't give myself nearly enough credit on this here message board.

Oh it's true. :P
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Yes sir SOMETIMES I don't give myself nearly enough credit on this here message board.
+1

Sorry bobcat, I was to lazy to look up if it was you who said it so I went with the generic "someone"

BOS wrote:^^^ I'd sooner take Chris Neil at $2mill.
Not that I don't think Neil could serve a useful purpose on the 4th line, but he's nothing more than a 4th liner in Vancouver and his offensive game is trending downwards as he's inching to his mid 30's.

That's an awful lot for a 4th liner, but if you could make it work and be prepared to eat it if something better comes along then I suppose he'd be an alright addition.

But he wouldn't fill that need of a physical top 6-9 forward who can play a meaningful role.

There's a chance Clarkson won't get their either, but he's got some ability and he's only 27. It's not a stretch to suggest he'll be a regular 3rd liner with outside potential to have a larger impact.

Regardless, seeing as the Devils hired Peter Deboer as their coach, who Clarkson happened to flourish under in Kitchener, I don't think they're looking to move him for scraps. It's not his contract they have to dump anyways, and it might be prudent to hold on to him at least until the season gets underway to see how he performs with his old coach in charge.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

coco_canuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Yes sir SOMETIMES I don't give myself nearly enough credit on this here message board.
+1

Sorry bobcat, I was to lazy to look up if it was you who said it so I went with the generic "someone"
Not to be outdone by the Blobster but I too brought up Clarkson back in the Parise thread...the thinking was Parise would be deadly but still doesn't address our grit issue. Clarkson certainly does that.

coco_canuck wrote:
BOS wrote:^^^ I'd sooner take Chris Neil at $2mill.
Not that I don't think Neil could serve a useful purpose on the 4th line, but he's nothing more than a 4th liner in Vancouver and his offensive game is trending downwards as he's inching to his mid 30's.

That's an awful lot for a 4th liner, but if you could make it work and be prepared to eat it if something better comes along then I suppose he'd be an alright addition.

But he wouldn't fill that need of a physical top 6-9 forward who can play a meaningful role.

There's a chance Clarkson won't get their either, but he's got some ability and he's only 27. It's not a stretch to suggest he'll be a regular 3rd liner with outside potential to have a larger impact.

Regardless, seeing as the Devils hired Peter Deboer as their coach, who Clarkson happened to flourish under in Kitchener, I don't think they're looking to move him for scraps. It's not his contract they have to dump anyways, and it might be prudent to hold on to him at least until the season gets underway to see how he performs with his old coach in charge.
Neil could play on our 3rd line w/ the departure of Torres...but ya it is going to be tough to find a spot for everyone when Raymond comes back.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fucking nobody picked up on that weak assed TAFKATT impresonation. :|

That's what happens when security guards blow up message boards. Assholes like me forget some of their best lines and lose their best material.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fucking nobody picked up on that weak assed TAFKATT impresonation. :|

That's what happens when security guards blow up message boards. Assholes like me forget some of their best lines and lose their best material.
What do you THINK the +1 was for?

THINK ABOUT IT 8-)
ClamRussel wrote: Neil could play on our 3rd line w/ the departure of Torres...but ya it is going to be tough to find a spot for everyone when Raymond comes back.
I think he could play on that line, but I don't see him having the offensive ability to stay there consistently, especially when the Raymond gets healthy and if Sturm flashes his old form.

He'd really help us with a physical presence, but I don't think he helps us with scoring more dirty goals in the playoffs against the likes of Boston.
stev123
AHL Prospect

Post by stev123 »

THINK ABOUT IT 8-)
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Are we making bets on how long it takes before Artie turns up here? :drunk:
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

wienerdog wrote:Are we making bets on how long it takes before Artie turns up here? :drunk:
Not sure about that. He'd still be pretty pissed off about how he can no longer quote himself from the "Thinker archive".
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

CrzyCanuck wrote:
wienerdog wrote:Are we making bets on how long it takes before Artie turns up here? :drunk:
Not sure about that. He'd still be pretty pissed off about how he can no longer quote himself from the "Thinker archive".

It should be still available.

Pretty sure one of the Central guys posted the link in the refugees thread.

Not sure if he'll have time ot post here and @ hockeyfights.com and that ghey site with GM.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fucking nobody picked up on that weak assed TAFKATT impresonation. :|

Hey Blob,

Remember that one time when THINKER started rapping? LOL. One of my favorite Message board memories of all-time. Fuck - that was about a decade ago now! I think he created the rap towards Schmautzie or Arachnid. I can't remember now.

I hope he comes over here pretty soon. I think donlever already posted here under his other handle (Lloyd Braun).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

coco_canuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Neil could play on our 3rd line w/ the departure of Torres...but ya it is going to be tough to find a spot for everyone when Raymond comes back.
I think he could play on that line, but I don't see him having the offensive ability to stay there consistently, especially when the Raymond gets healthy and if Sturm flashes his old form.

He'd really help us with a physical presence, but I don't think he helps us with scoring more dirty goals in the playoffs against the likes of Boston.
So why'd MG let Torres go again? ...gotta wonder about that one. We scored 7 goals in the finals and Raffi got a GWG in there. There's a hole on our 3rd line and I have no idea who will fill it.

Blobster, I can't remember the last time I read an Artist post let alone remember his phrases. I think you needed to add more hoity-toity.