Stanley Cup Champions since LOCKOUT: Rank from best to worst

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Stanley Cup Champions since LOCKOUT: Rank from best to w

Post by ESQ »

True enough, the only real conclusions to be drawn are that officiating was far less consistent game-to-game in 11 than 08, and far less consistent period-to-period in 11 than 08. To think that 11 was head-reffed by the former head of officiating makes it even more baffling.

Lets just all hope we never see a finals officiated like that again, regardless of who is in it. I try not to harp on officiating (much, anyways :P) but that fact that we're/I'm still talking about it at all is a piss-off. My general perception of Flames fans' bitching about refs is usually focused on one or two specific blown calls, not the over-all mess we saw this year, and god knows I wouldn't want to come off as whiny as Flames fans :lol:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Howbout this:

Best Stanley Cup Runner-Up since the lockout?

1. Canucks
2. Detroit
3. Ottawa
4. Philly
5. Pittsburgh
6. Edmonton

Although 1 and 2 are more of a toss up, I had to take the sentimental pick :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I really get a little nauseated about people crying about the officiating in the finals.

Canucks scored 1 fucking PP goal and made ZERO adjustments along the way. Thanks AV.

Bury some fucking chances ffs.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Stanley Cup Champions since LOCKOUT: Rank from best to worst

Here is my opinion:

1) Detroit 2008
2) Chicago 2010
3) Anaheim 2007
4) Carolina 2006
5) Boston 2011
6) Pitsburgh 2009
Just curious guys - where do you think the LA Kings of 2012 rank relative to the other Stanley Cup Champions since 2006?
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

In answering my own question, I think the LA Kings of 2012 were better than every single past Stanley Cup champion winning team except for Detroit of 2008.

1) Detroit 2008
2) Los Angeles 2012
3) Chicago 2010
4) Anaheim 2007
5) Carolina 2006
6) Boston 2011
7) Pitsburgh 2009
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I really liked this thread. My initial reaction was to put LA at the bottom as the worst team to win the Cup since the lockout.

I stick by my top 3 -
1. Pittsburgh
2. Chicago
3. Anaheim
4. I'd put Detroit next, I still believe they took the easiest road to the Cup in that all 3 teams they defeated in the West failed to even make the playoffs the following year.
5. Boston
6. Carolina

Now I see there being a real divide in quality of Champions from my #4 spot to my #5. I'd put LA at #5 - they didn't have any business winning the Cup, were not even close to the best team in the NHL, and their Cup run was lacking any dominant performances. In spite of the fact that they seemed to dominate no more than 1 game per series, and set numerous Cup records for fewest goals-for and GAA and possibly shutouts, you can't take away the fact that they only lost 4 times. But still, I consider them one of the least impressive teams, but probably the best goaltending performance since...Roy in 86?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

LA was the most boring team to win the Cup since New Jersey won it in 2003.

Anaheim and Boston are runners up in that category.

Shutdown hockey at its finest, goon squad mentality from behind the bench right on down, solid defense, good goaltending.

Oh and plenty of help from the "best" hockey officials in the world.

LA won the Cup in game 6 on the backs of a team of zebras. 3 goals on a 5 minute PP that should NEVER have happened if the refs were actually doing their jobs properly. Game over. Dan O'Rourke and Chris Rooney should both get their names engraved on the Cup with the LA Kings for that debacle.

The thing that I'm starting to love about other sports is the inflexiblity of their rule books. If it's an infraction you call it. You don't let the players decide it, you simply call a spade a spade and if the guy steps out of the rules in order to gain an upper hand, you penalize him for hit. Enough said. It's about doing the best you can as a league to ensure that the team who proves they are the best in the sport (rules and all) wins at the end of the day. I recognize that shit gets missed in every sport, and that's just the way it goes, but no other sport puts the whistle away so that the players can decide the game however they damned well please.