Any guitarists / musicians on here?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Any guitarists / musicians on here?

Post by puckhead »

I'm just going a bit nuts because I finally have the room in my house to set up as a studio, so I went out and bought a bunch more stomp pedals (I love craigslist / ebay). can't wait to carve out some time to make some noise.

Boss CS3 Compression Sustainer
Morley Classic Wah
Behringer UP100 (Ultra Phase Shifter)
Electro Harmix Big Muff Pi
Behringer AM100 (Accoustic modeler)
Boss RC2 Loop station
BBE Sonic Stomp Maximizer

any opinions on which order to string these puppies?
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Any guitarists / musicians on here?

Post by mattola »

i play drums .....

..on xbox rockband
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Does Guitar Hero count? :oops: Just got it on the weekend, lotsa fun.

I actually used to hack at the guitar years ago, and am trying to get back at it.

Wasn't Clam in a band?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

puckhead wrote:Boss CS3 Compression Sustainer
Morley Classic Wah
Boss RC2 Loop station

Yep I'm in a band.

I'm no expert on stringing these together...basically just organize everything then experiment until you find something that works right. If your amp has a "loop" input output like mine (Mesa/Boogie Mk. IV) then you generally want the modulation effects to go through that so it doesn't colour your initial signal. So that would include Flange, Chorus, Leslie etc and also Delay. I always like the wah fairly early in the chain as well.

Right now all I use in Crop Circle is a BOSS TU-2 tuning pedal, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Classic (w/ the Fasel chip) and a Dunlop Uni-Vibe unit. I do have other effects that I'm probably going to try fitting in like an Electro Harmonix Pulsar, Line 6 DL4 Delay, Time Machine boost and an expression pedal for the Uni-Vibe.

The best way to learn aside from your own experimenting is by looking over other guitarists rigs. Talk to friends or check out bands live & see what they do. Online there's a great resource for this & I learned alot here. Its got hundreds of pedalboards & rigs from top guitarists in all genres. Check it out:
http://www.guitargeek.com/

For lightening your wallet's load drop by this site (warning: its evil on the savings account):
http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi

Hope this helps
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Thanks for the advice, Clam.

I certainly don't need any help spending dough on this stuff! since that post I have picked up a Boss Noise Suppressor (tried out the new rig at a soundspace yesterday, and I had a heck of a lot of gain running through everything) and a vintage EHX Memory Man Deluxe. presumably the delay goes at the end so I can model close to the complete sound, and the noise suppressor goes right before the BBE?

I will definitely check out those websites.
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

ClamRussel wrote:
puckhead wrote:Boss CS3 Compression Sustainer
Morley Classic Wah
Boss RC2 Loop station

Yep I'm in a band.

I'm no expert on stringing these together...basically just organize everything then experiment until you find something that works right. If your amp has a "loop" input output like mine (Mesa/Boogie Mk. IV) then you generally want the modulation effects to go through that so it doesn't colour your initial signal. So that would include Flange, Chorus, Leslie etc and also Delay. I always like the wah fairly early in the chain as well.

Right now all I use in Crop Circle is a BOSS TU-2 tuning pedal, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Classic (w/ the Fasel chip) and a Dunlop Uni-Vibe unit. I do have other effects that I'm probably going to try fitting in like an Electro Harmonix Pulsar, Line 6 DL4 Delay, Time Machine boost and an expression pedal for the Uni-Vibe.

The best way to learn aside from your own experimenting is by looking over other guitarists rigs. Talk to friends or check out bands live & see what they do. Online there's a great resource for this & I learned alot here. Its got hundreds of pedalboards & rigs from top guitarists in all genres. Check it out:
http://www.guitargeek.com/

For lightening your wallet's load drop by this site (warning: its evil on the savings account):
http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi

Hope this helps
I'm in a band also...and I was basically going to link you to guitargeek.com as well. Nice one Clam!
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

I've been looking around for a nice steel string acoustic... Larrivee or Martin (open to other high end stuff too)

Would like to do a trade... Got a 2001 American Deluxe strat... Couple of nicks, but overall nice shape. Semi-transparent red with rosewood fretboard. Frets were polished and guitar set up for 9's recently.
Also have a hot rod deluxe 40W with Ho's attenuator box, and a Boss two pedal loopstation.

Let me know what you've got... Used cash value for the above setup is around $1800, and I would be willing to look at trades + or - cash as well.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

ClamRussel wrote: Yep I'm in a band.

Crop Circle
Hey I've heard of you guys
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Sticky wrote:I've been looking around for a nice steel string acoustic... Larrivee or Martin (open to other high end stuff too)
I play acoustic guitar and finally got an instrument this year. I have a Martin HD-28v which is an amazing guitar. With the CDN dollar at par, you can get amazing deals with US on-line orders (if you're willing to buy without playing). I know you're looking to trade, but I thought I'd chime in. I saved $600 buying from a shop in Florida.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Corb wrote:
Sticky wrote:I've been looking around for a nice steel string acoustic... Larrivee or Martin (open to other high end stuff too)
I play acoustic guitar and finally got an instrument this year. I have a Martin HD-28v which is an amazing guitar. With the CDN dollar at par, you can get amazing deals with US on-line orders (if you're willing to buy without playing). I know you're looking to trade, but I thought I'd chime in. I saved $600 buying from a shop in Florida.
I'm inclined to play used guitars over new, but some of the deals across the line are pretty enticing.

Were you happy with the whole shipping/duty process? I guess you probably played the instrument you were looking to buy, at a local shop first?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sticky wrote:Also have a hot rod deluxe 40W with Ho's attenuator box
Nice, I text drove one of Ho's boxes....just wasn't the right thing for my setup but they are good units!

Jovorock wrote:

Crop Circle
:mex: :drink:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Sticky wrote:
Corb wrote:
I'm inclined to play used guitars over new, but some of the deals across the line are pretty enticing.

Were you happy with the whole shipping/duty process? I guess you probably played the instrument you were looking to buy, at a local shop first?
Definitely merit in buying used. I played 3-4 at L&M before ordering. The shipping was fine, and the duty was minimal b/c the dealer wrote a low value on the shipping tag. The savings allowed me to get the one I wanted. L&M have since lowered their prices, but not enough IMO.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Jovorock wrote:

Crop Circle
I even have a couple of their albums ...pretty good. Not bad for a few good guys from the local area! :mex:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Started playing again with some people and more often on my own back in Feb(ish), then in May we had a pipe go in our house, our master bedroom had to be re-done so the basement/TV room became our bedroom, the spare room became storage, my office became a mix of storage, drywall chunks, and the computer, our livingroom became storage, our kitchen got really dusty. The restoration company has been dragging their heels big time. I'm at the point now where I'm calling the insurance company tomorrow to complain about them. Going on almost 10 weeks and all they've done is replace drywall, rip out carpet, primer, and one coat of paint. Total BS. So obviously the music stuff is on the back burner at the moment.

Anyways, now that I've bitched and moaned....

Larivee LV03RE acoustic that I've had for 3 years now, it's been a while since I played with any consistency, pretty much since I got married. Go figure. :P

Ash body New American Standard Tele (though I think they screwed up and sold me a deluxe from the sound of it and a couple of professional musician friend's opinions after playing it themselves).

Been playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, 40-watt all tube, nice amp, but I'm seriously looking at a Vox AC30C2 here at the local store. I was getting tired of the hot-tube sound from the Fender and the lack of control in the sweep of the volume knob. Play it at 1 or almost 2 and it's got nothin, throw it above 2 and it's too hot. Always has the tube feedback buzz, and not much in the way of tonal adjustment with the 3 EQ controls. It's a great amp for lead and concert stuff, but if you play in a smaller venue where it will be mic'd.... not worth it.

The Vox, on the other hand, has an awesome clean sound, warm crunch when over-driven, decent tone adjustment control, and the best part..... it has a master volume knob that the Fender lacks. The built in tremelo and F/X loop is nice too.

For pedals (in this order with no loop)
-Tuner (was a Fender pedal tuner that was great for using with single-coil pickups but it just shorted out, getting a BOSS)
-Boss CS3 Comp
-MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus (running Mono right now)
-DigiTech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
-Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
-Boss TR-2 Tremolo
-Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer

I also have a RAT distortion pedal (love that thing, just not on the board right now), a BOSS Flanger, BOSS DD-5 delay, Cry-Baby Wah (found I don't use it all that much though, was more of an impulse buy way back when...).

General rule of thumb that I've found is to run the compression pedal first, and if not first than before any distortion/overdrive pedal. They seem to be that much better when they are getting a strong, steady signal. I liked having that tuner with the dual outputs, the 2nd output being a signal cutoff when the tuner was in use. I'm looking forward to trying out some stuff using an F/X loop with the Vox. :)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jr. has a Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler...He plays a Strat and today he went to Steve's and bought an Expression Pedal for it, sounds like Peter Frampton now :thumbs:

What's a good amp for him? I just got him a small one for practicing at home but now he's doing gigs in pubs. He plugs it into GarageBand and uses JamPacks like there's no tomorrow...what the fuck do I know?!

If it gets him laid in High School I know I succeeded where GM's father went wrong... :|
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)