what would you do?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

what would you do?

Post by Vpete »

I have an employee who made a major purchasing mistake. He knows he made the mistake but he seems to have some trouble understanding the reason why it happened and how to reduce/minimize the effect.

I'm in for $15k of product I don't need. I may be able to sell it over time but I cannot return as per vendor purchase agreement. The mistake was 5 months ago, and they finally had to ship me the product. It's here, I've given the employee some guidelines on what to do to sell it.

He works on a salary + commission basis and auto allowance

Any thoughts? I have a couple of ideas but am hoping to avoid them.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: what would you do?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Is this here "product" purple cush VPete ? If so i may be able to help you let buddy off the hook.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Is this here "product" purple cush VPete ? If so i may be able to help you let buddy off the hook.
I wish!!! if it was it wouldn't be a problem. :rockin:
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I havw always up front behind closed doors on this kind of situation..look if you arent making a mistake now and then..you arent doing anything, which leads me to believe I dont need you here. But since i know you work hard and mistakes will happen what can we do to not vpete it .see wot.

Then there other things like good employee or not? If not I would write it up and keep it to go with the other bad things and can them. With no employment act wrong doings. I was once sued for letting an employee quit in an emotional fit..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Where’s Donny Leves when y’need him eh VPetey!
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote:Where’s Donny Leves when y’need him eh VPetey!
So.....Ahh.....my answer sucked?? :sly:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Where’s Donny Leves when y’need him eh VPetey!
So.....Ahh.....my answer sucked?? :sly:
:blush:

Not saying that Ratski buddy, you're answer was surprisingly AWESOME!!

:look:

Ummm... NOT surpised you had an AWESOME answer, just didn't realize you knew so much about these things!

:|

errr did I mention: AWESOME?? :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Why don't you give him this option.

Either he sells the product he mistakenly bought (obviously someone needs it somewhere) or he sells more of your product and takes a hit on his commission to compensate for the loses.

Hell the easiest thing to do would be to speak to your vendor, who obviously now knows you don't need this stuff, and ask them who may be able to buy it off you guys. They should have a fairly good idea who may need the stuff you now own.

At this point I'm sure you don't care if you make a profit you just don't want to eat the loss.

The biggest problem I see is that he doesn't recognize why it happened. Dude needs to figure that out or he's going to repeat the mistake. If he can't understand what he did it's probably time to cut him loose.

Let him sell that useless inventory first though :wink:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:Why don't you give him this option.

Either he sells the product he mistakenly bought (obviously someone needs it somewhere) or he sells more of your product and takes a hit on his commission to compensate for the loses.
You can not penalize the employee for a mistake. it is the cost of doing business.

Labour laws are very clear on this.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: You can not penalize the employee for a mistake. it is the cost of doing business.

Labour laws, smabour laws .... he owes pete money. :D

So you can't fire him for not being able to perform his job properly? Cause that would be penalizing him.

Wouldn't it depend on what type of contract he has?

As it shows clearly I am not familiar with labour laws!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Thnx doc.....appreciative I am....donny would have been better...thourough:..
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Why don't you give him this option.

You can not penalize the employee for a mistake. it is the cost of doing business.

Agreed!

Ok here's the simpleton version...

Does the dude make you money? He better, or why the fuck is he working for you? If so, the mistake is an one off and you move on. After all you did say you'll move the product over time.

So that's my advice, if the guys a good employee eat the loss. He'll respect you as a leader. If he's just so so... Find a reason to shit can his ass! :scowl:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The standard example is a waitress mixing up an order. You can not take the price of the meal from her pay.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote:The standard example is a waitress mixing up an order. You can not take the price of the meal from her pay.
Well I know that but I was more referring to subsidizing the loss off his commission. Though if the commission is tied to profits he will anyways in the end.

I Didn't think you could take it directly from his salary.

Hell everyone makes mistakes but as OD said if the guy makes you money in the long run you have to eat it I guess.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I dont own a business and am not in your shoes man, but ultimately it's your responsibilty to make sure he is trained correctly and can earn his keep. So to speak, no idea what business your in.

Me, if it was immovable product - I'd make sure my T's were crossed and can him if the circumstances where there, especially if you have other documented writes ups etc.

The key IMO as an owner is to ensure you have the proper steps followed the whole way through to ensure you have sufficient documention to can someone with reason and documentation instead of for un-just cause and getting several calls from EI.

I'm not sold on the employee benefit of the doubt idea quite yet.