Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Verbal Kint
AHL Prospect

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by Verbal Kint »

Topper wrote:Just back from a trip to the coast. I wanted to try Ensemble, Dale McKay's new digs after Lumiere shut down, because I worked in that kitchen when Stephane Meyer was running the Picolo Mondo kitchen. Hawksworth's is is on my list but only when Mrs Topper is along for the trip.
Ensemble is near the top of my list.
They had to shut their doors for a little over a week because of a flood but they seem to be back up and running.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Anyone been to Hawksworth's yet?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Yes, i read about the water damage at Ensemble. We nearly had the same when it was Picolo Mondo. A flood from the English School upstairs, but it only damaged a small area of the parquet flooring near the washrooms

Hawksworth is a class guy. I met him a few times when I was at Dubrulle and he always made time to help us out and show us new techniques.

Mrs topper and I had dinner at West when he ran the kitchen there and we still rave about the appy special. Roasted baby zucchini and he cooked a lobster souffle in the still attached squash blossom. Incredible.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Verbal Kint
AHL Prospect

Post by Verbal Kint »

LotusBlossom wrote: Vij's...heard stuff never went, but I honestly head to Fraser/Main if I want some good REAL Indian food..lol
[/quote][/quote]
I would highly recommend putting the "REAL Indian food" mentality on the shelf for a night and go to Vij's....soon.

There are often 2-hour waits for a reason.

Call it Indian, call it fusion, call it whatever the hell you want...bottom line - the food is awesome.
(and belongs in the same discussion as all the other great restaurants in this thread)

Get there 30 mins before they open and you might get into their first seating.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Verbal Kint wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: Vij's...heard stuff never went, but I honestly head to Fraser/Main if I want some good REAL Indian food..lol
[/quote]
I would highly recommend putting the "REAL Indian food" mentality on the shelf for a night and go to Vij's....soon.

There are often 2-hour waits for a reason.

Call it Indian, call it fusion, call it whatever the hell you want...bottom line - the food is awesome.
(and belongs in the same discussion as all the other great restaurants in this thread)

Get there 30 mins before they open and you might get into their first seating.[/quote]

I was at the Brian Jessel BMW Cabriolet Charity event the last couple of years, and Vij samples some dishes there. I am in love. I get it, never been there yet, but sometimes, I like that old school Indian food. Perhaps because I grew up in Langara and was not too far from the area as a child.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'll vouch for Vij's. LB get your butt there.

Looking back through this thread there is one place I must comment on, La Bodega.

Long ago it was a favourite with lots of friends, lots of small plates and lots of jugs of sangria but I will never again step foot inside their doors.

Mrs Topper and I went one evening a few years back and one of the plates we ordered was mixed olives. Within our plate of olives was a rather large preserved and dismembered cock roach. Clearly it came out of the jar of olives and was not something that had been roaming their kitchen. Mrs Topper plucked it out and reassembled it on the side of the plate.

Once I was able to flag down our server and pointed it out, the server asked if we would like a replacement plate of olives. When I pointed out that it had likely come from the jar and declined the second cockroach, the server left us. She didn't even take away the plate with the cock roach or offer to comp us a meal or drinks.

I realize mistakes happen, but it is how they are dealt with that matters.

As soon as I complained that plate should have been removed from my sight and a portion if not all of our meal should have been comped.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Verbal Kint
AHL Prospect

Post by Verbal Kint »

Can't speak for La Bodega.

Mis Trucos on Davie St is good.

Cafe Barcelona is terrible.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Went to Blue Water in Yaletown tonight for dinner. It's been a while and it was a nice evening. Kiddo was at a birthday party and we wanted a nice night out. Usually go there for the great cooked dishes but I felt like having the two tier seafood tower. Pretty good, but I still think Fortes offers a better tower for the money. No lobster or crab on this one, but the jellyfish was delicious. Oysters were a good selection tonight as well. Tried an Atlantic oyster from NB, forgot the name but it was excellent.

Never had a bad experience here, but I miss just walking to the place from my old condo on Homer. Damn no longer living downtown. :(
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Nicli Antica Pizzeria in Gastown...fairly newish place that opened earlier this year.

I tried it recently - best pizza I have ever tasted.

(and I've spent 3 weeks in Italy, didn't get to Naples mind you, but still)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Was in Whistler for the long weekend and on Sunday night, I went to the Bearfoot Bistro for the first time. Admittedly very pricey but it was well worth it.

We did the chef 5 course tasting menu with sommelier wine pairings for our five courses.

They have a 3 course set going fro $59 (their menu looks excellent)
Chef- 5 course tasting menu for $98
Sommelier wine pairings for $79

Great food. I forgot our first appetizer, but it had venison and scallop together and was delicious. Main was an amazing beef tenderloin.

It's a place where you can see them open your champagne with a sabre and go into a vodka room to take a few shots.

If you guys make your way to Whistler and want a good higher end dining experience, I highly, highly recommend Bearfoot Bistro. It's located at the Listel Hotel across the street from the Whistler driving range.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

KeyserSoze wrote:Nicli Antica Pizzeria in Gastown...fairly newish place that opened earlier this year.

Friend of mine said the same thing. Hmmm....
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Verbal Kint wrote: (and belongs in the same discussion as all the other great restaurants in this thread)

Get there 30 mins before they open and you might get into their first seating.
Maybe it's just me, but part of the reason to go to Vij's is to sit in the lounge and have a few drinks before you eat. Dinner out at 5:30? Blue hair special?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

KeyserSoze wrote:Nicli Antica Pizzeria in Gastown...fairly newish place that opened earlier this year.

I actually preferred Campagnolo to Nicli.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Went to West last Tuesday for a bit of a celebration dinner.

Their August tasting menu and chef's summer menu was amazing. One of each was ordered between the two or us. He did wine pairings and I drove, so agua for me, but I think I'd probably go the next one and take a cab or a driver home.

Tasting Menus

The one item the stood out for me was the lamb risotto. It was the perfect marriage of ingredients. If you can make a date with your significant other, I highly recommend it ordering one of each and taking nibbles from both menus.

Needless to say the service was of the highest quality.

Again, West delivers.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Went toThe Charles Bar tonight for an evening meeting about using the place for an event. It's been around for about a year now, in the old Woodward's building. The actual red "W" is just sitting right outside of the place in the courtyard.

Anyway, it's a very cool place to hang out and has some pretty cool bar fare, including a pulled pork poutine (smelled so good but I didn't get to sample it). If you're looking for some cool casual grub and decent drink prices, it's a good place.

Nothing over the top fancy, but it's a nice place and has a nice layout. It also really has a good atmosphere and during the weekends after 10 it turns to a bit of a little dancing bar, much like Library Square, only cooler.

Oh yeah it's also a good place to watch sports. Good amount of TVs and a projector one on the 'resto' side.