Home Entertainment Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

creeper
CC Veteran

Home Entertainment Discussion

Post by creeper »

So I'm in the market to buy a new TV. I know next to nothing in this area so I thought I'd ask you...

We currently have 4 tv's in our house. Two are 10 year old tube tv's that are good for the kids. One big screen Sony projection dinosaur (is 52 inches still big??) downstairs and a 50 inch Samsung LCD in our bedroom.

I wanna get rid of the projection TV - it's on wheels it's so f-ing big!! and replace it with........????

Theres quite a bit of space where this new TV will go. I'm not too big on sound but I will consider a sound system if the price is right.

I'd like to get as much as I can for $1500.00. give or take a hundred...

Help me out here, pics will be posted if you can hook me up with a sweet deal! :)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Home Entertainment Discussion

Post by rats19 »

I think odb knows a thing or two about a thing or two.. :wink:

I bought a 52" mitsubishi with built in surround and added a single box woofer idea thingy.. pretty decent sound and was 2500 total.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
creeper
CC Veteran

Post by creeper »

Oh I know he does, I don't think he'll get too excited cuz I'm not spending mega $$$.

What's the deal with Plasma Tv's nowadays? I seen a 40 inch at Costco for under $500.

I'd like a bigger screen though. I'll probably buy at Costco simply because they have the best return policy BY FAR... Not that I plan on returning the dam thing I just want assurance when I drop that kind of money...

Speaking of return policies, isn't future shop one of the worst?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I picked up a 60" DLP TV for Christmas - really nice image and best price for size. It was just under US$800 on Amazon on Black Friday last year.

A little limited in features, but I don't care. Audio is better through the surround sound, but good enough for most TV. Worth checking out.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
creeper
CC Veteran

Post by creeper »

J-Rod wrote:
Speaking of return policies, isn't future shop one of the worst?

Grrrrrr I still remember buying a radar detector for my 1984 bitchin' Camero back in 1990 from the old A&B sound on Seymour St... Fuckin POS cost me $200.00 and went off anytime I drove by a taxi, bus, Shopping mall and even the occasional Police car. I had enough after 4 days, returned it and only got a credit for exchange minus the mammyrammer's sales commision....

Totally serious about getting this TV in the next week - then this thread may as well get locked down

.....help!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I factory ordered 1980 z-28...white black stripes, 4 sp limited slip..chic and cop magnet both....

But seriously what are u saying here?
creeper
CC Veteran

Post by creeper »

rats19 wrote:I factory ordered 1980 z-28...white black stripes, 4 sp limited slip..chic and cop magnet both....

But seriously what are u saying here?
Just slightly going off to left field about return policies.

I do that alot.....wander off topic into left field. For instance right now I'm searching for a gif of a happy fat man curb-stomping a A&B sound salesman....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Iss cool Iss cool.. I did it twice so you would know it was me and not the phone...

Got pulled over 7 times in one weekend in that zed..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

My computer monitor/TV just packed it in (using an old backup). Now I am not tech savvy AT ALL, but I know what I want AND I CAN’T GET IT! Pisses me off. I want a new monitor exactly like my old monitor: NOPE. My old monitor was top-of-the-line when I bought it btw. The solid metal stand weighs in at about 35 lbs and is spectacular. There’s nothing like that available now. The built-in sound system is superb. Okay, you can get some with built-in-sound these days but the ones I checked out on the weekend didn’t sound that great to me in-store.

So I’m checking out the monitors at Best Buy thinking okay I guess I can live without my fancy stand, live with the CRAP stands they make these days, cuz hey at least the prices are a lot better than the last time I bought. So the sound system sucks, I can live with CRAP sound! Plus, hey if these 21/23-inch monitors are only $200 - $250, imagine how cheap the 17-inchers are!

I spotted a sales guy... he was busy texting someone... so I asked him EXTRA LOUD: “I’m looking for a 17-inch monitor with built-in speakers, high resolution, and picture-in-picture.” He looks at me as if I’m some kind of Reptilian from Mars and says “19-inch is the smallest you can get now and within a few months the smallest will be 21-inch... and you can’t get the picture-in-picture feature unless you go to a (think he said) 32-inch TV.”

I told him I have 2 large screen TVs in my house, that I just want a monitor for my desk so’s to surf the net whilst watching a hockey game with the pic-in-pic. He tells me they don’t make them like that anymore and suggests... if the screen is too big... I sit further away, perhaps push the monitor further back across the desk.

:evil:

I couldn't help but imagine myself strangling that little son-of-a-bitch til he made Raffi Torres look human!

I could smell fear in the air and had a feeling this nerd was reading my mind. I advised him that when I’m on the net I like to wear my reading glasses and that my reading glasses work best within a 2 foot range. I also let it be known that it’s kinda silly to make a bigger screen only to move it further away. I informed him that all of the computer monitor stands for sale in his store are CRAP, as are the built-in sound systems. Then I asked him if he knew where I could get my old monitor repaired.

Beads of perspiration were beginning to appear on his brow. His eyes started to dart around like he was searching for the best means of escape. He said: “There’s nothing like that in Abbotsford.... bu.. bu... but I think there’s one in Langley... do... do you want me to find out for you?

At this point I really really really wanted to take this little Earthling mofo back to the mothership for some dissection practice, but I just said “That’s alright”, turned and walked away.

They don’t make em like they used to fellas.
Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I am using a phone , HTC hero....dial up unacceptible...xplornet pissed me off.

I feel your pain doc..savvyness is important to you I know, but i am sure your body...your bloated smelly body would eventually rot enough to fall to the floor.....if you were me right now....
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

HD Projector all the way baby!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Seriously guys, what SMALLISH monitor/tv should I buy?

Or should I drive to Langley and get my old one fixed (not good with memory on things like this, but I think I paid $800+... 7 years ago??). The sound system still works great, it's just the picture. Once upon a time a city the size of Abby would have a dozen TV Repairmen. Today: ZERO :evil:

Stinkin freakin throwaway society....
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Sorry guys, I’m not ignoring ya. I’m just totally out of the loop! I haven’t purchased a piece of home theater equipment in almost 4 years. Jeeesous Keehrist! The kid just doesn’t allow for me to use it like I used too. He’s three and a half so I’m hoping only a few more years and I cam jump back in.

Besides my four year old gear is still 10x better than any of you have anyway so!!!

But I haven’t chimed in because I’m really not up to date on the latest and greatest!

Doc... any chance you spilt wine on the monitor? Could it maybe only require a good rinse? :mrgreen:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: Doc... any chance you spilt wine on the monitor? Could it maybe only require a good rinse? :mrgreen:
Can't...believe...you...remembered...that! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote: Besides my four year old gear is still 10x better than any of you have anyway so!!!
Ahem.

So I moved yesterday. A few days back I went by my local Source store where I picked up a Bell receiver a year ago and asked about getting my Bell service moved to the new digs. The owner told me there is confusion with Bell in our area. He recommended I call Bell and tell them I am moving. When I get the work order #, bring it to him, he'll do the new install, I pay him and Bell reimburses me. He'll use his dish and switches, when Bell sends me the new gear, drop it off at his store to replenish his stock.

I call Bell, the rep says no, no, no, they will look after the install and they will have a tech at my place Thursday afternoon. Computer system is currently down, call back in two hours for the work order #. Two hours later, I again call back and get the work order # and I am again assured, Thursday afternoon, tech will be at my place for the install.

Three thirty this afternoon, no tech has shown up so I call Bell again. The rep tells me not to worry, a tech will be by before five thirty.

Quarter to six this evening I call Bell again. This rep does some digging. There are no tech's in my area. I need to hire someone (the guy at the Source), pay them and Bell will reimburse me.

Its 6pm heading into a long weekend and I have to find my own installer after being promised three times that Bell will do it. I may get the install done mid next week.

I went politely ballistic with the rep. He offered my a $50 credit, said that was his limit. "Let me talk to your supervisor" I get a month free and I'm working on a new PVR from them. Supervisor is working this weekend and will call all installers near the area to try to get it done. Best she can do under the circumstances but what a load of incompetent reps.

I'll gps my lat/long and set up my tri-pod and dish I use when away working so Topper Jr. doesn't miss Thomas the Train.

I wonder if I told Bell I was missing the start of the CFL season, they would work faster or slower.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.