R4G1 - Canucks host Bruins - 5pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

R4G1 - Canucks host Bruins - 5pm

Post by Cornuck »

I've started this a day early to get things rolling. Plus, if you're reading this at work, don't forget to tell the boss that you're leaving early tomorrow (don't ask - tell).

All I'm hearing about Boston's advantage is Chara. Sure, he's big and a good defenseman, but what else do they have to scare us with? Thomas? Sorry, but we've already beaten one Vezina nominee. Thomas was schizophrenic against Tampa Bay - two shutouts and a lot of goals in the other games.

I don't see a clear advantage for Boston in any category, but they had do something to get the Final.

As for Game 1, I'm not expecting a great game (I hope they prove me wrong). Both teams have had a few days off, so it will be tough to ramp up the intensity. The teams don't know each other, so there will be a bit of a learning process right off the bat. Finally, neither team has been here in a long while - nobody will want to make a mistake.

It's been a long 17 years.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: R4G1 - Canucks host Bruins - 5pm

Post by the toucan kid »

Like us better up the middle, on the wings, and on the backend... granting that Chara can be worth two men all by himself, that said there D falls off fast right away after him. Goaltending is a complete "who knows" but in the unlikely event that one of them steals the series... well that's the ONLY way I see us not winning.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Cornuck said:
As for Game 1, I'm not expecting a great game (I hope they prove me wrong). Both teams have had a few days off, so it will be tough to ramp up the intensity. The teams don't know each other, so there will be a bit of a learning process right off the bat. Finally, neither team has been here in a long while - nobody will want to make a mistake.
Dunno, hope your wrong too .. Its the friggin Stanley Cup they are playing for - that should be enough to assure intensity. Hopefully AV will send the troops out Hitting just to take charge ..looking forward to a great game with our warriors ( Kesler, Burrows, Torres, Lapierre, Bieksa and Edler deliverying key hits in the first period ).. A tentative start is not in the Canucks best interest.. God would I love to see Ballard hip check Chara ( probably hip would only reach Chara's knee ? ) right into the Canucks bench :) :).. wont happen but I can dream? ..

score? 3 to 2 Canucks
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Speaking of hits... isn't it time for Edler to have one of those incredible bone crushing hits like a Freightliner on a tree type game? As you know every once in a while the stars align and his hitees wish they'd stayed in bed. It would be awesome if we could give the Bruins (who think they're tougher) a big f'n OH YA????
8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Hopefully AV will send the troops out Hitting just to take charge
Christ enough with the hitting... :lol:

It's like that Metallica song "... and nothing else matters"

Isn't what you mean that they come out with energy, stay disciplined, get traffic, capitalize on chances, keep position, and then if they want to pop the crowd or win by attrition, get the big hit?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

"The Olympics was one of the biggest stages I've ever played on and this is bigger. This is something special" - Ryan Kesler
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I think this is a key game tonight. The Canucks have not lost an opener yet, let's keep it that way. I don't think you want to show the Bruins any kind of hope.

As for hitting... I think they should come out like they did in game one versus Chicago (what was that 8 weeks ago?). You guys can argue about how to word it 8-)
lifer
CC Veteran

Post by lifer »

Playing at home, I think the Canucks will come out flying and the Bruins will try and hold them off the scoreboard for the first period. I expect this game to be a bit of a wild one before the teams start to learn how to defend against each other. It'll be interesting to see how they play with so much time off recently. Been looking forward to this game for a loooooong time. Let's all keep into perspective that this is only game 1.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!! :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Puck wrote: As for hitting... I think they should come out like they did in game one versus Chicago (what was that 8 weeks ago?). You guys can argue about how to word it 8-)
Yes, call it energy, truculence, aggression, pugnacity, combativeness, whatever .... it's important in hockey .... and it's a requirement in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Christ enough with the hitting...
No, Toucan, it's not that nothing else matters. It's that hitting sets the tone, fires up the team AND the fans. Hitting can lead to turnovers and therefore scoring chances. Gets the Bruins looking around a bit before they touch the puck. Gives us a split second more to get in on the forecheck. Encourages the opposition to move move the puck with a little more haste. That's what hitting is all about. It's not necessarily about attrition, although that can be an important side benefit.

But, enough. I'm wasting my time once again trying to explain one of the basic parts of the game to someone who can't (or won't) see it.

Big hits like this are ONE OF THE THINGS we'll need to be successful: http://youtu.be/5lZLIfqTxAU
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

woodhog wrote: Big hits like this are ONE OF THE THINGS we'll need to be successful: http://youtu.be/5lZLIfqTxAU
^ Nice clip! Yes - we need to hit their big defensemen. Shirking away from the physical play will come back to haunt us. Yes, it helps set the tone (as does an early goal), and in what could be a very physical series, we need to show Boston's D that they will need to keep their heads up.

And with that comes a tenacious forecheck (or vice versa).

We all talk about the speed, but I'd like to see 2 guys with speed - Hansen and Raymond - put their speed to use on the score sheet. It's frustrating when you see a Canuck speed down the wing, then notice it's one of these guys. I hope they prove me wrong with a good series - we'll need it.

Also, let's give another shout out to Gillis. At the deadline, we were all happy with our situation and not asking for a deal - then out of left field comes two great deals for players that have been a huge part of the playoffs. We're lucky to have an organization that has some (almost clairvoyant) foresight.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Time to get this back into daylight:

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: Christ enough with the hitting... :lol:
OK OK OK. Get in on the forecheck QUICKLY be using our team speed (and while your there, you might as well hit someone).

And even though the Bruins haven't been great on the PP, I think we need to stay out of the penalty box. Taking 5 penalties in the first and keeping the Sedins off the ice for far too much of the game won't work in our favour (even if the Bruins don't score on the PP).
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Just got my vintage Canucks jersey back today. Brought it in to get Kesler put on it. I'm so excited for this. It's all I could think of today, pretty much ignored work today.

I have a big hate for the Bruins so I hope they get manhandled.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »