R3G3: Canucks @ Sharks - 6pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

R3G3: Canucks @ Sharks - 6pm

Post by Cornuck »

Will we see a different Sharks team in the tank tonight? Or will they just tank?

I'm thinking that we're going to see a different game than what we watched in 1 & 2. Nobody is calling for a sweep, so this is where could lose one.

BUT... If the Sharks continue to self destruct (which wasn't part of the predictions) and the Canucks continue to play their game, then the series will be much shorter than we thought.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: R3G3: Canucks @ Sharks - 6pm

Post by Linden Is God »

Game at the cottage for me and no access to internet so I'll be glued to the tv. I'm expecting San Jose to come out big tonight. The Shark Tank is a tough place to play and can get quite loud at times too. If the Canucks come out of this road trip with a split it'll make me really really happy.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I think San Jose will come out in a foul mood after their Coach made the comments he did. They will do their best to run the Canucks D and all we can hope is the refs call the game properly. If the refs call the infractions the Sharks will tank.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

...and tonight's 3 stars are:

Brad Watson
Dan O'Rourke
Steve Miller

What a joke of a game. I'm not bitching because we lost, I was fully expecting a Sharks win tonight. What a completely horrible game caused by the refs. Disgusting calls to both teams. The 5 minute major we got? No way that should have even been a penalty. Calls missed and phantom plays called. When the linesmen have to start calling penalties, then you know you're in trouble.

Fuck the refs, fuck the NHL - Let the boys play.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

The reffing was pretty brutal tonight but lets be honest: San Jose came out ROARING those first 15 minutes and the Canucks didn't handle it very well. A lot of those penalties at the beginning were well deserved. And honestly? If you can't kill penalties at this time of the year, then you aren't going to win. Period. Kudos to the Sharks on a hard fought game.

Luongo.....needs to be better.....given how much he's being paid, and given how we've seen him play in the past. Again - I draw the comparison to the Luongo of 2007 to the Luongo of current (in assessing as to whether the criticism directed towards Luongo is warranted). I'll leave it at that.

Other than that - the Sharks played well and deserve full credit. They are a great team, but we are great as well.

Onto game 4.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Yes, the Sharks played well, Neimi played great, but the refs destroyed what could have been a good game. No flow, it was just a matter of waiting for the next whistle.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Yes Lu was weak

Yes the refs sucked shit (more proof the 2 ref system as it currently is...does not work)

BUT the Canucks need to play more than 20 minutes.

Canucks deserved to lose tonight and, much like game 2 in the Nashville series, the best team ended up winning.

The NHL needs to go back to 1 ref or revise the system. They could even empower the linesmen to make calls on blatant infractions behind the play.....a better system, if they insist on sticking w/ 2 refs, is the back ref can ONLY make calls that are fragrant and missed (ie behind the play, away from the puck etc) whereas the ref closest to the puck/in the attacking zone around the net is the only ref who can make regular calls. For example that bs call on Burrows tonight was called by the ref way back in the other zone whereas the ref right by the "infraction" didn't deem it worthy of a call. The best system is one ref but if they're sticking w/ 2 something HAS to change.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ClamRussel wrote:They could even empower the linesmen to make calls on blatant infractions behind the play
The double minor to Ehrhoff was called by a Linesman after the fact. The Refs didn't see it, but when the Shark went off bleeding and there was a stoppage soon after he was hit with the stick, the call was made after the Linesman told the refs that he saw it. I hadn't seen that before, but I guess it's in the rule book.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No sky is falling posts? Must be the start of summer or something.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:They could even empower the linesmen to make calls on blatant infractions behind the play
The double minor to Ehrhoff was called by a Linesman after the fact. The Refs didn't see it, but when the Shark went off bleeding and there was a stoppage soon after he was hit with the stick, the call was made after the Linesman told the refs that he saw it. I hadn't seen that before, but I guess it's in the rule book.
I've seen that before. In fact, give the linesmen a little more power for blatant calls (not basic calls) and get rid of the 2nd ref.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote:Yes Lu was weak

Yes the refs sucked shit (more proof the 2 ref system as it currently is...does not work)

BUT the Canucks need to play more than 20 minutes.

Canucks deserved to lose tonight and, much like game 2 in the Nashville series, the best team ended up winning.
Pretty much agree, except for the Luongo bit. He made some great saves and you can't give the Sharks that many PP's. We were LUCKY the only got 4 goals on us. The point shot was a pretty weak one, but IIRC it was a 5 on 3.

McGinn needs to be suspended. Word is he'll get an automatic one game because it's his second game misconduct of the playoffs, he has a phone hearing this afternoon. If I'm Colin Campbell, and I see a trend like Sharks have been developing, I crack down and I do it now. No place in the game for that hit. Even though it got the Canucks back into the game, he deserves 2-3 games minimum. Perfect example of why the NHL needs to crack down harder on head-shots and blindside hits.

AV definitely lost the coaching battle tonight. He was completely out-maneuvered by McLellan before the game. The Sharks uppded their speed, and the Canucks downgraded their skill thinking the Sharks would try the rough stuff again. Glass was invisible, Bolduc is a 100% minor leaguer. If it ain't broke, why was he trying to fix it? Stupid coaching.

Kypreos is reporting the Canucks have called up Tanev, which could be bad news for big Alberts. Ballard probably draws in. Both Ehrhoff and Rome will be out for game 4.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Bad news is, the Canucks have NEVER won when I've watched a game at the new cottage. Good news is, I will be watching game 4 from home.

I'm not worried about game 3. The Canucks proved they can come back after fighting through, what, 9 penalties. I'm confident had the Canucks got half they penalties in the 2nd and 3rd, they would have won that game. San Jose looked really good in the first, but from there, I don't think they dominated. I still say Canucks in 6.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Yes Lu was weak
Pretty much agree, except for the Luongo bit. He made some great saves and you can't give the Sharks that many PP's. We were LUCKY the only got 4 goals on us. The point shot was a pretty weak one, but IIRC it was a 5 on 3.
I don't care if it was a 5on3 or not, it was still a lame goal to allow. He has to make that save. The first one was also VERY soft. Hell it barely made it across the line. I've actually been defending Lu alot lately but its getting tough when EVERY game has 1-2 weak/soft goals that should be routine saves. At some point its going to be our downfall if it keeps up.

Seriously. Its as if he needs contacts or something. His positioning is always sound but the puck ends up in his feet or just lobbed at the net from any angle and he simply can't find it and bobbles it into the net. Word is out as teams are now flipping pucks at him from behind the net left, right & center. You don't see any other goalie allowing those game in and game out. Take those very weak goals out of his game and he's elite. If they keep up he'll become a legitimate liability.

Yes Lu made some good saves and held his own for the most part but he was also very weak at times and arguably cost us the game....well its not like we deserved to win it anyhow but those goals have to be deflating on the bench.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Linden Is God wrote: San Jose looked really good in the first, but from there, I don't think they dominated. I still say Canucks in 6.
The sharks weren't that good. I never believed they would be "alot" better at home, they couldn't be. Both teams played great game two... they brought it big time but jjust got frustrated in the third.

The Canucks took game 3 off, the sharks were just a bit better. No worries, if the Canucks get back to playing close to game 2 effort this is going 3-1. 8-)
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Why pick on Luongo when the whole team took the night off? It just wasn't happenin'... is he supposed to be more god like?

I'll give them the muligan that game; it's a long haul.