R2G1 - Canucks host Preds - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

R2G1 - Canucks host Preds - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

Two days after clinching a game 7 on OT, we are the only team that is opening Round 2. Sounds like bullshit to me, but that's life. 6pm start? Sure - let's make sure all those Leaf fans rooting for the Preds get to watch the game and not have to stay up too late. More bullshit.

But enough bitching - we're in Round 2 and should be ready for the Preds. I don't know the team very well, but I'm expecting them to press us hard, forecheck and stifle our forwards. Our speed could help overcome this, and we should be able to handle their forwards. Meanwhile, 2 of the 3 Vezina finalists will battle it out in net.

Series Tale of the Tape

Some Nashville numbers from the regular season:
2nd in goals against
21st in goals for
Power Play - 15.2% (26th)
PK - 84.9% - (5th)
Finished with 13-6-3 record for the last 20 games.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: R2G1 - Canucks host Preds - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by the toucan kid »

Hmm the early start time is much to be appreciated, especially with these games dragging into OT.

That said, I honestly have very little clue how this series is going to look. I can see just about anything happening, while all the while thinking we should somehow have the upper hand. I'm very interested to see what each team brings tonight.

We need to get the Twins going as this team is going to have to be able to score more. I appreciate the grindstone Kes and Bur efforts as much as anyone, but we're going to have to get a couple skill based blowouts along the way to go deep. Winning game after game in a pressure cooker is too much to ask of Lou, Kesler and our better defensemen. They need a breather here and there.

That being the case, I wouldn't mind seeing what Hodgson can do given some PP time and decent wingers like Higgins and Hansen. Torres can't even be trusted to play a shift in the third period with a lead, so I ask you, just why bother? A Glass-Lapierre-Oreskovich fourth line should do the trick.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:We need to get the Twins going as this team is going to have to be able to score more. I appreciate the grindstone Kes and Bur efforts as much as anyone, but we're going to have to get a couple skill based blowouts along the way to go deep. Winning game after game in a pressure cooker is too much to ask of Lou, Kesler and our better defensemen. They need a breather here and there.
Maybe, but it everyone knows it will be low scoring. And close. We will need to win the 2-1 games. If we think too much about offense we're going to get burned.

Here is what happened this year vs Nashville:

Jan 26, WIN, 2-1
Feb 17, LOSS, 1-3
Mar 3, LOSS, 0-3 (with an empty netter)
Mar 29, WIN, 3-1 (with an empty netter)

Interestingly enough, Nashville scored first in every game. And they outscored us 8-6 in the season series. We only managed to score 6 goals on them in 4 games (with one of them being an empty netter).

I think I would stick with Samuelsson with the twins and Kesler with Burrows and Raymond. Higgins, Lapierre and Hansen on the 3rd line. Glass, Oreskovitch and maybe Hodgson on the 4th.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I don't know about Samuelsson... hope he's over the flu now (he's the one actually confirmed flu guy) because he has not been very good since game one where he hit 2 posts. It may be that the Twins are lacking their banger (Burrows). But, give it a go tonight, because you sure can't justify breaking up Kesler and Burrows.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Higgins, Lapierre and Hansen on the 3rd line. Glass, Oreskovitch and maybe Hodgson on the 4th.
Yeah, you would obviously rotate Lapierre in for the crucial late game shifts ect. but I would put Hodgson with the skilled guys during less defensive moments.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Pretty relaxed for this one, nothing of real matter will happen. It'll be a somehow close game with a margin of max. 2 goals, whoever will be the lucky winner hasn't settled anything, game 2 on saturday will be much more interesting.

Go Canucks GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ps: i guess we all as fans have to calm down a little bit and not to expect hartbreakers :mrgreen: every 2 days...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

No way would I take a proven NHLer who hits and scores the occasional goal out of the line up,, keep with the team that won games 1 and 2 and game 7.. meaning Torres !!
Preds play a tough stifling game and we need players that can break through . Kesler , Burrows line will be fine.. Use the twins line as a decoy line to wear out Preds best D but tell them bluntly to play a lot better defensively.. the 5 on 5 winners will be the 2nd 3rd and 4th lines..

Preds had the edge on the Canucks in the regular season lets see if the Canucks are willing to pay the price enough to win this one ..
Gooooooo Canucks....
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

keep with the team that won games 1 and 2 and game 7.. meaning Torres !!
Ummm...
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I'm expecting the Canucks to be a little flat tonight having all the emotion the other night. A loss wouldn't surprise me, neither would a last minute win where the Canucks look sloppy wouldn't surprise me either.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

The last series was my fault, sorry guys...I went for a hoppy IPA with a long bitter finish...so lessons learned I am going smooth tonight...
http://www.bigrockbeer.com/#/beer/gopher

GroundHog Day?!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Torres didn't play in games 1 and 2 (suspension), but I still keep him in the lineup. The Predators are going to (try to) pound the shit out of us, and we need to return the favour. Weber and Suter play big minutes, and they'll need to be leaned on every chance we can. We already out-skill these guys by a long shot, where it's close is physicality and Torres brings plenty of that.

The crowd is downright garbage tonight. They didn't play last game, and the players have showed up. It's definitely the audience that has the hangover, not the players. Not very impressed with the home crowd.

This is going to be a greasy series. We're going to hate the Predators by the end of it, but the Canucks need to keep coming. 0-0 after 1 and most of the play in Rinne's part of the ice. The Predators are that kind of team, though. They don't mind getting out-shot because if you give them 2 or 3 goals they can probably win the game. They got away from that vs. Anaheim, but don't expect them to rely on their new-found scoring to win games.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Arachnid wrote:The last series was my fault, sorry guys...I went for a hoppy IPA with a long bitter finish...so lessons learned I am going smooth tonight...
http://www.bigrockbeer.com/#/beer/gopher

GroundHog Day?!
Awesome choice! You have no idea.... during a certain 3rd lose in round one I made the switch to Big Rock and drank NOTHING else.... that beer took us all the way to game seven in NY. :-)
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Well hmm... as expected a lot of the emotion is missing... but they are playing better than I expected in the first, and nsh is not as good to start.

I know it's early, maybe way too early but I'm liking my pick in five.

Dammit why did I type that?? :crazy:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Don't get me wrong, I really want to win. Still, I almost want Nashville to stay alive a while to see how badass Shea Weber's playoff beard could get. Maybe we could get him over here some year and see for ourselves. Preds are lucky to have a player like that,
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

More importantly... Get Samuelson off the first PP unit and put Edler back where he belongs. That has never looked as good as the truly exceptional first unit we had first half of the season.