R1G5- Canucks host Hawks -7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: R1G5- Canucks host Hawks -7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Tiger »

Puck said :
What the hell does Chicago know that nobody else does. Honestly, this is giving me an ulcer.
They know that when the game gets physically tough the Sedins disappear and don't backcheck.. They also know how to get into Luongo's head... Maybe they also know that this team lacks leadership and discipline.. and they know how to win ..

However looking on the bright side for us islanders , Victoria is getting a WHL team which might win something :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I don't think they're in his head. Lu couldn't be blamed for any of those goals tonight.....PPs, tips, screens, breakaways....I watched the replays and he couldn't even see the puck on half of them. Chicago is doing a GREAT job of getting traffic in front of our net, we.....not so much.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I fucking hate the Canucks and all their storied bullshit. None of the stats ever matter because the culture of losing permeates from generation to generation.

It's disgusting and I'm sick of watching them blow every golden opportunity they have. It's bad enough what happened in game 4 but to do the same freaking thing in game 5? With a different supporting cast too!

Yeah, I'm worried. This has spoiled the playoffs even if they make it far. You don't think other teams will gain motivation from this?

Play Schneider next game. Team needs a culture shock. Yeah I know it will be a case of Luongo never being able to close out the Hawks (as fabulous as he was in game 1 and 3, seriously WTF!), but I'm sick of the implosions against an undermanned Hawks team.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Damn shit, it's real, just woke up and thought it was a nightmare..
You don't think other teams will gain motivation from this?
They are just laughing out loud...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

You guys know we're still ahead in this series, right? Just checking.

Look, it's as simple as this. If the Canucks win either of the next two games, these last two won't even be remembered by game 2 of the next round. If they don't... well the Canucks are known as (and by no one more than their paranoid fans) notorious chokers anyway. At least they didn't get deep enough to make it hurt this year.

That said, I still think we're going to win this thing just because we have a better team and two opportunities to their one.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Puck wrote:
BTW Mods... we need an smilie that is MUCH more angry than anything available at right.

Yer velcome :sly:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Yeah, I thought it was a nightmare too, how could we be so bad? At home? After a blow out? After a great season? Game 4 was game 4 but now? Hodgson was our best player for fucks sake (along with Raymond). I'm beginning to think it's time for a coaching change, Q is out coaching him once again. We have the talent....

Cory to start for sure.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

rockalt wrote: You don't think other teams will gain motivation from this?
This was my fear too when thinking about these two last scores earlier. Being able to win in these playoffs is all about confidence and how much would any team gain by watching the Canucks mental meltdown? I'd be pretty stoked about being able to match up against team "scared" right now.

I can easily forgive game 4, even though they got beat by five It looked to me like they were gonna just take control of the game after the first. Even when chicago started to score they worked hard and kept their feet moving. BUT last night was awefull, and no doubt whatever mental fear issues that caused that dogs breakfast will again rear up in further rounds if they get past the hawks.

Or maybe it's only the hawks they fear? I dunno
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:I don't think they're in his head. Lu couldn't be blamed for any of those goals tonight.....PPs, tips, screens, breakaways....I watched the replays and he couldn't even see the puck on half of them. Chicago is doing a GREAT job of getting traffic in front of our net, we.....not so much.
After that fall in game 4 being slow to get up, I am beginning to wonder if Luongo is playing hurt.

I dunno, I have nothing to say about last night...Got two chances left to close this series, I think they can still do it, but not if they keep playing like that.

I am now glad I didn't go to the game. I took the S2000 out for a good ride on the highways last night after the 1st period.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Tiger wrote:Puck said :
What the hell does Chicago know that nobody else does. Honestly, this is giving me an ulcer.
They know that when the game gets physically tough the Sedins disappear and don't backcheck.. They also know how to get into Luongo's head... Maybe they also know that this team lacks leadership and discipline.. and they know how to win ..
This may be a fair assessment of last night, Tiger, but it's certainly not a revolutionary approach to hockey. If your summary is accurate why didn't anybody else use this approach in the regular season? If the way to beat the Canucks is as simple as you suggest, then there is no way they would have won the President's Trophy.
rockalt wrote:I fucking hate the Canucks and all their storied bullshit. None of the stats ever matter because the culture of losing permeates from generation to generation.

It's disgusting and I'm sick of watching them blow every golden opportunity they have.
Every golden opportunity? Which Canucks team have you been watching? I think I count golden opportunities at about 2 in 40 years... game seven vs the Rangers and the series vs the Wild. As an organisation it's more about mediocrity than blown chances.
arachnid wrote:I'm beginning to think it's time for a coaching change, Q is out coaching him once again. We have the talent....
I'm usually the last one to admit this, but I'm getting this feeling, too. With our talent-level, how can we not be properly prepared mentally and tactically for this Hawks team? :|
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Arachnid wrote: Hodgson was our best player for fucks sake (along with Raymond). I'm beginning to think it's time for a coaching change, Q is out coaching him once again.
I don't know if he's being outcoached but I would say that AV screwed up when he changed the winning lineup and replaced Hodgson with Torres in game 3. Everything was going great, then he changed things. Torres came in, pissed off the Hawks and woke them up.

That being said, the biggest problem is the top players not showing up. Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Samuelsson, Raymond.
Where are they?
Kesler and Burrows PK time is no excuse. They've been doing it all year. Sure, we miss Manny and Kesler has to take a few extra faceoffs but it's no excuse for NO production at all. Burrows is almost invisible besides the PK.

The other disappearing act comes from the defense. What happened there? Game 1 and 2 they were hitting everything and standing up at the blueline smothering the Hawks. Their game has collectively turned to shit.

Where is all the leadership that this team supposedly has so much of? I haven't seen any signs of it yet in the playoffs.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Puck wrote:Any chance that half the team has the flu? Recall that Samuelson missed game 1 for the flu. If it has torn through the team, it might explain why they suddenly seem so bad. We'll see, I suppose. You have to admit that two poor efforts in a row is VERY surprising.
I was thinking about this, and it could be valid. AV gave Luongo, H.Sedin and Edler the day off after Game 4. I'm not looking for excuses, but if, IF, this is a possibility, then we're probably going to lose game 6 well, and could be healthy for game 7.

There's 2 days off tween G5 and G6 - this should help us no matter what the problem is.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Cornuck wrote: There's 2 days off tween G5 and G6 - this should help us no matter what the problem is.
Not if the problem is between the ears.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

woodhog wrote:
Cornuck wrote: There's 2 days off tween G5 and G6 - this should help us no matter what the problem is.
Not if the problem is between the ears.
Maybe they all have the flu. It is going around Vancouver, and I think it is probably why Samuelsson missed game 1. It is the prime reason we came back against St. Louis after being down 3-1 in the playoffs not that long ago. It would explain more than a few things.

But whether it is mental or physical, we have two off days to figure it out.

And for those that think we're doomed even if we win this series, nope. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If it is mental and we get through this, then that will make us stronger for the rest of the playoffs.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dr.dork wrote:If it is mental and we get through this, then that will make us stronger for the rest of the playoffs.
^ Trust him, he's a doctor.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."