R1G5- Canucks host Hawks -7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

R1G5- Canucks host Hawks -7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

Dear Hockey Gods,

Please forgive our transgressions of discussing brooms and fat ladies. We thank you for the lesson in humility that you provided on Tuesday, and your lesson will not be forgotten.

We ask only for an injury free game tonight and may the players do thy biddings.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: R1G5- Canucks host Hawks -7pm - CBC, VS

Post by ClamRussel »

Amen
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Hahaha no kidding. Been chomping at the bit for a chance to see the Canucks make right and finish of the Hawks tonight.

Another poor performance tonight though, and then I think people have a legitimate reason to be concerned. I fully expect a more determined effort tonight.

Kinda sad that for all the talk of the "new team," the Canucks still need a wake up call like that thumping to get their act in gear. Then again, I suppose you could say the same about the Hawks last year, when they came perilously close to falling behind the Preds in round one and were dominated in games 1 and the first ten minutes of game 2, and they went on to win the Cup.

We'll need to see some production from Kesler, Raymond, and/or Burrows tonight. All three of them are due for a big night (even if Burrows is validating my concerns earlier about his true offensive ability).

Let's win one for the 'gipper!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Teams lose. Chicago did it three times in a row in fact.

That to me says a lot more than one game where we brought nothing to the table. I expect a good effort tonight and a trip to the next round.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

A reading from the Book of Hockey:

"Gods of Hockey I call to you.
My stick is by my side.
I seek a life of honor,
free from all false pride.

AV shall crack the whip,
with a bold, mighty hail.
cover us with shame,
if we should ever fail.

Pucks shall be shot,
sticks shall be broken,
skates shall be sharpened.
Today, today is a Game Day!!
Let all Hawks fear us!!"
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

rockalt wrote: I fully expect a more determined effort tonight!
Me too, they showed it already in the last stages of last game. They have to know there's no kidding with them and they're a good (and proud) team. (point)

GO CANUCKS GO
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Rockalt said:
We'll need to see some production from Kesler, Raymond, and/or Burrows tonight. All three of them are due for a big night (even if Burrows is validating my concerns earlier about his true offensive ability).
Not worried about the Kesler line rockalt .. the line that let us down was the Sedin line last game .. Just hope they actually show up tonight determined to pay the price of winning.. Being outscored 5 on 5 by 4 goals by the Bolland line just isn't good enough.. The Kesler line was the only line not in the - side of the +/- last game.

Go Canucks .
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Obviously (to most of us), what worked best was what they did in Game 1. Come out banging and crashing when the opportunities arise, outhustle them to the puck and outwork them on the boards. Hopefully that will lead to some powerplays for us and we'll cash in.
It will be important to get the first goal to keep the fans in it and momentum on our side.
Stay out of the box.
We need a BIG game from all 4 lines and Lou to put these chickenhawks away for good.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Tiger wrote:Rockalt said:
Not worried about the Kesler line rockalt .. the line that let us down was the Sedin line last game .. Just hope they actually show up tonight determined to pay the price of winning.. Being outscored 5 on 5 by 4 goals by the Bolland line just isn't good enough.. The Kesler line was the only line not in the - side of the +/- last game.

Go Canucks .
I agree Tiger that the Sedins play was a bigger concern. Obviously Kesler brings more to to the game with his defensive ability.

At the same time, I think Kesler's been getting a bit of a free pass the last few years. I really expected him to be a monster in the playoffs and last year he really disappointed. Obviously there were suggestions that this was a result of his shoulder injury (though was there ever surgery?) but point of the matter is that he has not yet been a big game performer, at least offensively.

I think with how much Kesler's game has improved this year, we should expect more offensive production. He's a heart and soul type player but I think many would agree that it's time for him to start producing. If he doesn't, the Canucks are not winning the Cup this year.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

You certainly can't succeed when your co-leading goal scorer isn't producing. Linden always produced in the playoffs and never scored 41 goals in the regular season. Its time for Kesler to start bringing it I agree.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

can i panic yet? 3-0 still in the first.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

nucklehead_88 wrote:can i panic yet?
No.
You called this series to go 6 games.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Don't panic but this is happening when you think Chicago is a shitty team. Right now we're the fucked ones to convince everyone how the hell they were even close to be named a contender. Still not out of hope but that's mentally biting.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

woodhog wrote:
No.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

woodhog wrote:
No.
I haven't pushed the panic button this year, but I did pull it out and dust it off when we lost 7-1 to Chicago earlier in the year. I am officially pulling it out and dusting it off again. Haven't push it yet but my hand is hovering over it.

Play Hodgson more, because his line seems to be the only one putting the pressure on in Chicago's zone.

And, um, someone might not want to let Keith take free shots on the powerplay.

Can blame Luongo on the first goal, but he obviously couldn't see the 2nd and the 3rd. Our stars, namely Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins and Luongo really need to step it up, although Kesler and Burrows are on the PK the whole time.