GDT: R1G3 - Canucks @ Hawks - 5pm -CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R1G3 - Canucks @ Hawks - 5pm -CBC, VS

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Linden Is God wrote:Torred is a fucking tool. He'll definitely get suspended for that hit.
No big loss if he does. Seabrook for Torres is a trade I make every chance I get.

Keep yo head up.

Huge game for the Canucks. Hawks wanted it bad. How good has Luongo been? The guy is playing his best hockey right now.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sure, Torres cost a goal, but he also had the Hawks wondering where the next hit was coming from.

After this series is over, it won't be a matter of us beating 'the team that knocked us out the last 2 years' - it will be the story of us knocking out the defending champs. In the end it's us beating a team that slipped into the 8th seed.

We're looking good now, and if we can sweep and get some rest, we'll be looking better for round 2.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
trouble

Post by trouble »

If you are very quite and listen.. you can start to hear the Fat lady singing :mrgreen:

During the last part of the game and after the Game The Hawks look beat and ready to wave the white flag
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Sure, Torres cost a goal, but he also had the Hawks wondering where the next hit was coming from.
The thing is though, we didn't need any hitting to turn them into a duck and cover bunch of weasels this time. They haven't shown an ounce of spine all series, and we put them in their place by playing good hockey, not by trying to scramble a guy's brains... and a good player I like too, not someone like Pat Kane.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:They haven't shown an ounce of spine all series, and we put them in their place by playing good hockey, not by trying to scramble a guy's brains... and a good player I like too, not someone like Pat Kane.
Actually, I don't agree. They haven't shown an ounce of spine because we have been hitting them hard every chance we get. At some point they don't want that any more.

As for the Torres hit I haven't seen it in slow motion and where he makes contact. Was it targeted head shot ? I don't think so, and it certainly isn't blatant elbow to the head. Those hits shouldn't be in the game (or he should let up) but I think that is within the current rules.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

the toucan kid wrote:The thing is though, we didn't need any hitting to turn them into a duck and cover bunch of weasels this time.
We don't need any hitting? What? Give your head a shake, man!

This team is good, but it's also not the Smurfs of yesteryear. When Quinnville puts a 6'8 goon into the line-up he's admitted 2 things: Our hitting is getting to them, and that he wants his team to be tougher.

The Canucks are doing everything right. We're faster, better, tougher - AND we want it more this time. We've had some great hits in this series and that has helped our team establish dominance. It's the playoffs, we need our team to be out there hitting every chance they get.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Look it hasn't been a physical series, and that's not why we're winning. The CBC panel addressed the Scott dressing last night and criticized it for being a sorry, and lame shakeup, almost to the point of demoralizing the Hawks further. I think it was Hrudy who, wisely, pointed out what would the attitude be amongst the team's best players "yeah, THAT guy is really going to help." And he did NOTHING, except help us, and he didn't even get on the ice.

Chicago is a pushover physically, we don't need "toughness" to win this one.
When Quinnville puts a 6'8 goon into the line-up he's admitted 2 things: Our hitting is getting to them, and that he wants his team to be tougher.
No he wasn't; it amounted to admitting defeat.
Actually, I don't agree. They haven't shown an ounce of spine because we have been hitting them hard every chance we get. At some point they don't want that any more.
Sigh... if it were only that simple. Did Pat Kane look scared to you last night, no he looked frustrated that he couldn't score. Toews isn't scared of anyone and never will be. Hossa didn't showup, but that was before they dropped the puck on Game 1. After that, they don't have anyone else anyway because they're a shallow, middling at best team.
Last edited by the toucan kid on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Funny how things change, a few years ago people would be buying up Torres jerseys and putting posters on their walls. Scott Stevens was a legend and feared for those exact same hits, he'll be in the hall of fame someday. Bertuzzi did the exact same hit and knocked Jackman *and* the Blues out the series. People, Torres is a kamikaze hitter for sure, he is not a cheap headhunter like some of those weasels like Cooke. I can't believe we're hearing complaints about him, I think he's getting a raw deal by the league. He's got a target on his back and can't win now. Meanwhile the inconsistency continues onward...
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Bertuzzi did the exact same hit and knocked Jackman *and* the Blues out the series.
Bullshit Clam, watch the Bert hit, shoulder to chest. Not comparable.

Raffi Torres may be a cannonball, but a cannonball has always been against the rules (see: charging) so those are dirty hits for that alone. Bert on Jackman didn't involve a full stride chase down the rink.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

the toucan kid wrote:
Bertuzzi did the exact same hit and knocked Jackman *and* the Blues out the series.
Bullshit Clam, watch the Bert hit, shoulder to chest. Not comparable.

Raffi Torres may be a cannonball, but a cannonball has always been against the rules (see: charging) so those are dirty hits for that alone. Bert on Jackman didn't involve a full stride chase down the rink.
Torres was definitely moving faster than Bert for sure yet there are 2 other factors that must be considered. 1) Jackman saw & anticipated Bert coming so he was prepared whereas Seabrook has his head down. 2) Jackman's head was up whereas Seabrook's was down so the physics of the hit play into where the hitter's shoulder ends up.

To be honest I have much more of problem w/ the Seabrook hit than I do on the Eberle one. The NHL has designated behind the net as a "hitting area" but I find that one of the most dangerous areas. Torres hit Eberle out in the open where there shouldn't have been any surprises. If there was any "blindness" involved on the Seabrook hit its possibly because he didn't see Torres because of the net area before he put his head down.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Can we keep all of the "Torres Talk" over on this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7492&p=101874#p101874

Save this thread for the win - and upcoming sweep. :D
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

ClamRussel wrote:Scott Stevens was a legend and feared for those exact same hits,
:lol: Stevens would be suspended for 3 seasons nowadays.

Imo Torres is borderline but not over. Right so, no suspension.

This team has the killer instinct, i don't care for a sweep, they're in the next round anyway, even for a game 7 in Van. :mrgreen:

Am i the only one who's thinking Chicago isn't that bad, Van is better in the right moments but that could change...

Go Canucks Go
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Am i the only one who's thinking Chicago isn't that bad, Van is better in the right moments but that could change...
I actually tend to disagree, Chicago IS pretty bad, and we haven't brought a 100% yet. Listen to Kesler's interviews, they seem to be the most honest.

Although, we will need 100% later, so 75 will do.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

the toucan kid wrote:
Although, we will need 100% later, so 75 will do.
The evidence is already here, 75% will do nothing. Do you still think Chicago is pretty bad ?

Imo there are no real bad teams you can afford to give less than 100%.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

The evidence is already here, 75% will do nothing. Do you still think Chicago is pretty bad ?
Yes.

And did that look to you like 75? Didn't to me.