R1G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: R1G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 7pm - CBC

Post by woodhog »

Tiger wrote:
Sorry I just have to point out the Sedin line was completely stifled by Chicago.. and Dan and Hank both took slashing penalties ( frustration ? ) ..Hopefully they will have stronger games as the series continues..
Daniel's penalty was hooking and both were pretty weak calls. To say that they were frustrated might be a bit premature. The Hawks did keep the Sedin's chances down but they had a few opportunities that just missed too.
The good news was the overall TEAM EFFORT. They're going to need more of that to go deep. Good show.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The Hawks had their hands full of puttin' the Sedins down. As long as any other can capitalize i'm satisfied with the Twins efforts.

Go Canucks GOOOOOO 15 wins left...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

woodhog wrote:
Tiger wrote:
Sorry I just have to point out the Sedin line was completely stifled by Chicago.. and Dan and Hank both took slashing penalties ( frustration ? ) ..Hopefully they will have stronger games as the series continues..
Daniel's penalty was hooking and both were pretty weak calls. To say that they were frustrated might be a bit premature. The Hawks did keep the Sedin's chances down but they had a few opportunities that just missed too.
The good news was the overall TEAM EFFORT. They're going to need more of that to go deep. Good show.
Great Team effort.. agree.. Sedin's must improve .. total of 3 shots from both including pp time? same as Hodgson got in about 7 min total time.. NOT GOOD ENOUGH !! I expected a better show from the twins..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cookie La Rue wrote:The Hawks had their hands full of puttin' the Sedins down. As long as any other can capitalize i'm satisfied with the Twins efforts.

The Hawks have focused so much on the Sedins last night, but they will get their legs, if not, I like how the rest of the team brought it on.

PS it would have been 3-0 if Samuelsson didn't hit that damn post! :lol:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

LotusBlossom wrote:PS it would have been 3-0 if Samuelsson didn't hit that damn post! :lol:
Or 4-3 Hawks, if they didn't hit theirs/ :oops:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote:The Hawks had their hands full of puttin' the Sedins down. As long as any other can capitalize i'm satisfied with the Twins efforts.

The Hawks have focused so much on the Sedins last night, but they will get their legs, if not, I like how the rest of the team brought it on.

PS it would have been 3-0 if Samuelsson didn't hit that damn post! :lol:
4-0, he actually hit *two* ....however maybe we would have lost 5-4 as I know that Hawks at least hit that many.
I don't really care if the Sedins are shutout as long as we win....both those calls on the Twins were soft ESPECIALLY that first one. WtF? Is this playoff hockey or isn't it? So weak.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Linden Is God wrote:I swear I will never say a bad word about Hansen again.
All I could think is thank cripes Gillis kept him after that arbitration award. Guy is one helluva solid 3rd liner.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

A few things that haven't been mentioned:

Edler, particularly in the 3rd, was very good.
Sedins had some good puck movement and a post themselves. Note Tiger that they only had one PP and it was pretty good.
Hodgson damn-near potted one. Great give and go with Hansen.
The 'Hawks played Toews/Kane/Sharp almost continuously and while they were a bit unlucky, bottom line is it didn't work.
The Canucks played with poise.

Lots of nice positives from that game.
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

Man is it fantastic to be watching the game and not be looking to see if the Toews line out against a D pairing other than our "shut down" pair. It doesn't matter who's out there we're in good shape defensively. Luongo was HUGE and I though AV did a pretty good job of rolling our lines vs Chicago who seemed to be playing the hell out of their top guys, if we can continue with playing with a lead we'll wear their top guys down pretty quickly. I'd give the unsung hero award for a great game to Oreskovich, guy played with some piss and vinegar last night and even set up a couple chances with some good work down low.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Kikbutt_10 wrote:Luongo was HUGE and I though AV did a pretty good job of rolling our lines vs Chicago who seemed to be playing the hell out of their top guys, if we can continue with playing with a lead we'll wear their top guys down pretty quickly.
If we continue to outhit them AND Toews, Sharp and Kane continue to play 20+ minutes we'll be the fresher team later in the series. We were (more or less) rolling four lines.

Chicago looked good in the second, but we had our share of posts and opportunities missed too.

Sedins didn't look great but they had their chances too. It doesn't matter, we won. On to game 2 !
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Appeal dear honor, i watched so many highlights right now and i counted 4:3 post for Chicago, so we had won 5:4 already anyways. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dr.dork wrote:If we continue to outhit them AND Toews, Sharp and Kane continue to play 20+ minutes we'll be the fresher team later in the series. We were (more or less) rolling four lines.
And this should be the key to our success through the playoffs. We can roll 4 lines and all the D for 60 minutes.

Duncan Keith played 27.5 minutes, Campbell over 26. (Hamhuis led our D with 22.5)
Kane and Toews each played over 23 minutes. (The Sedins played about 17, Kesler played 20:46)

We can even afford to play any of our top 8 D should someone need a night off.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kikbutt_10 wrote:I'd give the unsung hero award for a great game to Oreskovich, guy played with some piss and vinegar last night and even set up a couple chances with some good work down low.
Very good point, I was wondering how/where Torres fits back into the lineup if everyone plays just as well in game 2.
My guess is Hodgson to the pressbox and Raymond at center on line 3 but thats hardly a good solution imo.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

ClamRussel wrote:
Kikbutt_10 wrote:I'd give the unsung hero award for a great game to Oreskovich, guy played with some piss and vinegar last night and even set up a couple chances with some good work down low.
Very good point, I was wondering how/where Torres fits back into the lineup if everyone plays just as well in game 2.
My guess is Hodgson to the pressbox and Raymond at center on line 3 but thats hardly a good solution imo.
It'll be a tough call, that's for sure. Could sit Oreskovich but I like what he brings. That said, Torres can play the same type of game with a bit more skill to go with it.
It'd be nice to give Cody a real chance to succeed ... and shut up the naysayers.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

woodhog wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
It'll be a tough call, that's for sure. Could sit Oreskovich but I like what he brings. That said, Torres can play the same type of game with a bit more skill to go with it.
It'd be nice to give Cody a real chance to succeed ... and shut up the naysayers.
Torres in, Hodgson out. Raymond at center.

The naysayers will never shut up. He has to prove them wrong at which point Fred will say: "I knew he would be a good player, you could just see it based on his poise and hockey sense". The naysayers will then pat themselves on the back (while forgetting they wanted to trade him for a bag of pucks).