GDT: Canucks @ Oilers - 6pm - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks @ Oilers - 6pm - Snet

Post by Cornuck »

2nd game against the Oilers - nobody cared about the 1st one - including the Canucks.

This one could be moderately more interesting as they try to get some payback after losing to the lowly Oilers. Of course, there is the Ross trophy race to consider. Maybe the Sedins will put a clinic on like last year's Calgary game.

Samuelsson is in for tonight, no word yet on Edler and Alberts. Cory gets the start.

Luongo has also said that Schneider could play in the final game as well. If the team is likely to win the Jennings Trophy (fewest goals allowed), then Cory will play (if the team is winning) in order to get his 25 games in that are required to get his name on the trophy.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Oilers - 6pm - Snet

Post by the toucan kid »

Luongo has also said that Schneider could play in the final game as well. If the team is likely to win the Jennings Trophy (fewest goals allowed), then Cory will play (if the team is winning) in order to get his 25 games in that are required to get his name on the trophy.
Mildly intriguing factoid. See, that's why you're the go-to guy for game threads, Corny! :lol:

Amazing the things you can think about once you've clinched. I've got nothing going on tonight, so I suppose I'll give the game a look, but I don't know if it will be terribly interesting.

More interested in ticking these three off and getting going for real.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Like the Canucks in the last Edmonton game... I have very little interest in this one.. But will be watching the OTS.. Chicago/Montreal and Dallas/Columbus.. hoping Dallas wins .. Chi loses and we don't have to face them in round 1.. :)
other than that .. glad they are giving Schneider the extra starts.. and hoping to see Edler and Alberts back next game. Samuelsson should give Canucks a boost tonight.. They may even come out to play :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sportsnet is saying Luongo will get the start for Vancouver.

My guess is if the game gets out of hand (either way for more than a couple goals) we'll see Schneider come in to get his minutes up. He doesn't have to start all these games to get his name on the Jennings, just appear in them. Odds are the Canucks will give him a couple periods in the next 3 games to make it happen.

The Canucks don't need to win this game. The Oilers will certainly have more to play for (as funny as that sounds) but with the Canucks having already clinched first overall, and a good portion of the Oilers playing for their jobs next season, there is every reason for Edmonton to come out and play hard. And with the Canucks already looking forward to next week they really don't need to risk anything.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

and torres gets his ass suspended
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well this will be one for the boys to get emotionally geared up for the playoffs. The Canucks were just fine coasting towards another loss and the Oilers decided to make things physical, and boy have the Canucks responded. They looked legitimately pissed towards the end of the game.

Watching the Oilers feed is a bit laughable.

"Torres can kiss the first round goodbye, I guarantee it." Now I only saw about 3 replays of the hit, but this is going to be a 2-3 game suspension MAX. You start leaning into a puck in the offensive zone and you need to be ready to get hit. It wasn't blindside, you could see Eberle try to brace himself for the hit. Torres just cranked him. Personally I don't see any problem with that hit.

Not a big deal to lose the game, and It certainly looks like this could wake the Canucks up, at least make them feel a bit more us against them going into the playoffs.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well this will be one for the boys to get emotionally geared up for the playoffs. The Canucks were just fine coasting towards another loss and the Oilers decided to make things physical, and boy have the Canucks responded. They looked legitimately pissed towards the end of the game.
They played a lousy game and took out their frustrations ( with their own bad play ) out with 2 cheap shots plus Torres's elbow to the head.. Sorry I don't think there is any reason to think this game is going to get them going in the right direction.. 2 losses to the worst team in the NHL shows me a team without much pride or character.. Lets hope they dig in deep and find some..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The first Oiler loss was easily forgiven, the second one was not.

Once again, they were outworked but this time they lost their composure towards the end - and that brought back some ugly memories of the Chicago series. These past two games exposed out usual weakness: play the Sedins tight and then the game gets even.

This team has two games to get tuned up for the playoffs and find some form.

Disclaimer: I realize it's only 2 losses after clinching #1 overall, but it's the way they lost that bothers me.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

How many games in a row did Detroit lose just before winning the cup? I forget was it 9 out of 11 or something?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

losses to the worst team in the NHL shows me a team without much pride or character.. Lets hope they dig in deep and find some..
Give it a rest. They don't care, and why should they?

As for Torres, yeah a few games is warranted I would say. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets nothing though.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Tiger wrote: 2 losses to the worst team in the NHL shows me a team without much pride or character.. Lets hope they dig in deep and find some..
I don't think that the result of two late season, mean nothing games, really means much at all. Sure, it would be nice to keep the pedal down and plow through every game to the playoffs but it's not very realistic to expect it to happen. The Canucks have won several games recently that they really had no business winning. Against the Oilers it finally caught up to them.
At least they showed up in the second game and if not for the mega-penalties at the end of the game, who knows what might have happened?
Robert brings up a good point about Detroit in 2002. They lost their last 7 regular season games before dropping the first 2 playoff games to the Canucks. They went on to win the Cup that year. What would you say about their pride and character?

Just be happy that nobody got hurt.