Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by LotusBlossom »

On Saturday night, Mr LB n I decided to head out to Gastown and went to Boneta, formally Meat Market. I have to say I really like to atmosphere and the food was superb! I ended up having the duck breast, but I think I'll try the sable fish next time around.

They have a drink called the Blood Alley. I usually try to stay away from frou frou drinks but had to try that one due to the neighbourhood of the restaurant.

Looking to try different places and I think McLean's is next.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
canuckle33
AHL Prospect

Post by canuckle33 »

Ya vancouver has great food!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I forgot we had this thread.

The other half and I have been to a few places lately and I have to say McLean's is a lot better than I thought.

Gastown has some true gems out there for food choices.

The chef at McLean's (yes resto owned by former Canucks goalie, Kirk McLean) has put together an amazing little menu and if you are at all curious, it's a hybrid of comfort food and west coast inspired food. I'd go there again and try something different the next time in. Talked to a friend of mine, and he recommends the deli attached to the restaurant for sandwiches and soup.

Burgooeither on Main street or Lonsdale is probably an amazing collection of comfort food from all over the world. International dishes made with love. I tried the Moroccan lamb over couscous, but by the end of the year I'll probably have to go back a few more times just to get through half the menu.

If you're looking for places in the Vancouver area to expand your palette, here are a couple more.
Phillip
AHL Prospect

Post by Phillip »

I have 5 kids so I rarely ( absolutely fucking never) eat out..... unless you count Chuck eeee Cheese.

Ahhhhhh the price one pays for being a home-wrecker.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Phillip wrote:I have 5 kids so I rarely ( absolutely fucking never) eat out..... unless you count Chuck eeee Cheese.

The thing is Phil...part of having kids is the greatness of a night out with the Missus ..money talks of course but once in while its nice to do..I.e. babysitter
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

rats19 wrote:
Phillip wrote:I have 5 kids so I rarely ( absolutely fucking never) eat out..... unless you count Chuck eeee Cheese.

The thing is Phil...part of having kids is the greatness of a night out with the Missus ..money talks of course but once in while its nice to do..I.e. babysitter
Going out with the other half is pretty great, kids or not. Agreed, rats, sure money talks and we certainly all have different budgets, but it's important in relationships to keep things romantic between each other. I am fairly lucky we have a teenager in the roost these days so it is a little easier to manage time for ourselves.

Five kids? Wow, that's a test of parenthood.Kudos. But I'll be honest, I'm selfish, and I like my lifestyle, so if I never have another child, that's ok by me. I like having nights out when I feel, and not having to worry about a budget of sort, but that's the choice I made. Like I said...kudos, parenting is a tough and often times, thankless job.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Speaking of food...

well truth is I didn't know where to post this so....

... maybe someone should start a True Confessions thread, anyways....

This morning I was making breakie for wifey and myself (a *very* rare occurance). Well if you're like me, you want your cheese pieces to fill up every single part of your sandwich, am I right? You don't want empty spaces of just bread in your grilled cheese... Me, I tend to bite off parts of cheese slabs until they fir PERFECTLY (hey, if you're gonna do something do it right, right?). Anyway, I'm taking basically my last bite, when I hear a giggling from the other corner of the kitchen (thought I was alone). I turn around and it's wifey, who now begins a full-out belly laugh (turns out she had been there for some time). I'm still in FOCUS mode, wasn't happy about being interupted, I'm like "WHAT? WHAT??".

Anyway, she found it hilarious AND weird... and I know damn well she's gonna tell all our friends now.

And the kids!

She ALWAYS tells everyone any-and-every-thing I do that she considers the least bit odd!

Hey, I NEVER DO THAT TO HER!

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest.

Plus I'm trying be more real... more "approachable" in my posting style.

I'm just trying to be like one of the guys... like a normal guy.... is this how normal guys post? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just back from a trip to the coast. I wanted to try Ensemble, Dale McKay's new digs after Lumiere shut down, because I worked in that kitchen when Stephane Meyer was running the Picolo Mondo kitchen. Hawksworth's is is on my list but only when Mrs Topper is along for the trip.

As always, a feast was had at Ajisai in Kerrisdale.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thanks Toppy, now start a cooking thread and teach to make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches real good! :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I just read your gcs post doc..I laughed pretty hard..so Mrs rat says..what's so funny. So I said ok..I am going to read you one of the brightest posters story of making a grilled cheese sandwhich..while i agree whole heartedly on the just bread bite.....she said " what a weirdo"

Sorry doc.....unless it just occurred to me...she was referring to me..lofl 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Phillip
AHL Prospect

Post by Phillip »

Strangelove wrote:Thanks Toppy, now start a cooking thread and teach to make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches real good! :drink:
I seen rats making a grilled cheese using the heat vent in his cell ( he's on B-block with the shitters and spitters)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:...
As always, a feast was had at Ajisai in Kerrisdale.
Amazing! I finally went there this year after all the talk about the place. I believe it was you who brought it to my attention...thank ya!
creeper
CC Veteran

Post by creeper »

Yo Doc, after living in Aldergrove for almost two years I've discovered there are only two places I like to eat at... Run of the mill Whitespot and a place called Benkey Sushi. You wouldn't think a VERY GOOD sushi place would be out here but there is.

Okay I've eaten at a tonne of different sushi places and Benkey (in the Safeway complex on Fraser HWY and 272) is far better that anything else I've ever had...well aside from Zen sushi on the North Shore.

I'm gonna have some alone time with the wife this summer (step kids go their dads and my kids go to the inlaws) so can you recommend a decent place in Abby to eat out at. Any good hole-in-wall type places you like?

There's a shithole looking Mexican restaurant on King George HWY and 106th in Surrey. It's a complete dive but OH MAN is the food ever good! They've been there for over 10 years, place is run by a Hispanic lady in her 40's along with her daughters and sisters....not too hard on the eyes if ya know what I mean.

Anyway, I know where to go when I'm craving Sushi but it would be nice if I knew of some other places....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sooo many eateries in Abby. I’ll tell you right freaking now: Milestones is just awesome for Saturday brunch.

If you like Greek food you HAVE to head to Greek Islands, hell even if you don’t like Greek: great atmosphere! Abby has a few of the best Greek restaurants this side of Athens.... Paliotti’s is nice if you’re hungry for Italian, decent atmosphere, Saturday night is the best (I think the #1 chef is only there weekends). You MUST eat ONLY the Italian food at this restaurant (although the French Onion Soup is to die for).... Ocean Park is a quiet little place with GREAT FOOD. Always have a great time but then I know the owner (tell em Strangelove sent you :sly: ). Lou's Grill used to be great, but it's really lost a lot of it's appeal in pretty much every way. Sammy J Peppers can be fun but it’s extremely loud with alotta rowdy youth (bring a roll of quarters). Not a good place if it’s just you and the missus I spose...

Restaurant62 does have unbelievably awesome food if you wanna dress up for an intimate special occasion but the atmosphere kinda sucks imo.

Best pubs are the Highwayman and the Duke of Dublin.

Takeout: New Saigon has fantastic Vietnamese food (don’t eat there though, it’s a hole).

EDIT: I like Earls a lot too. Many say the place is way too loud and I really only like it for the EXTREMELY SEXY young waitresses... but I swear: try the ribs with blackened cajun chicken (full order)!
____
Try to focus on someday.
creeper
CC Veteran

Post by creeper »

Lol @ roll of quarters..... :lol:

I'll probably try all those places before the summer is up....starting with Saigon take out. Haven't had vietnamese food in a Reptilian-coons age. LOL Reptilians - how did this all start again?

Actually my wife has been hinting to go out for Greek for a while now so I'll prolly take her to Greek Islands soon.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll get back. 8-)