GDT: Canucks host the Kings - 7pm - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host the Kings - 7pm - Snet

Post by Cornuck »

Dear Hockey Gods,

Thank you for listening to us before the last game - the 2 points was a bonus as well. Once again, we humbly ask for an injury free game.

Oh - and thank you for having the Blues run up the score on those heathen Red Wings last night, great job!

-----------------

Seriously, when Canada Diagnostic Centers is your teams sponsor, you know you have problems: LINK

From Coach V:
Will look to see what Raymond can do on a line with Hansen and Torres tonight. Samuelsson will not play tonight. Raymond will move to centre and Tambellini to second line.

The Kings are missing Kopitar, and look like they'll be ending up in 4th-6th spot. Unlikely that we'll face them in the first round.
We're 2 wins away from clinching 1st overall, so a win tonight would help take that pressure off.

Not much riding on tonight's game, but the Kings have the series lead 2-1.

Questions:
Does the season series matter all - except as a stat when the two teams play each other in the playoffs?
Who is your choice for a 1st round opponent?

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks host the Kings - 7pm - Snet

Post by Tiger »

If Canucks win.. and Phillie loses tonight.. We got the Presidents cup ( some part of me says unlikely scenario and other part says " who cares odds are low that Phillie can win 6 straight and Canucks can't win 1 or 2 in 5 ".. ? :)

My choice for a first round opposition is Dallas.. but more probably it will be Anaheim or Chicago :(

Going to be fun games tonight.. Boston should put the nail in TO's coffin !! then a good game against LA.. looking for a 3 point game.. 3-2 in a shoot out .. Tanev with the winner in the 10th round :) :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

My choice is... NOT Anaheim.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote:My choice is... NOT Anaheim.

Agreed, they could be scary to play against ... especially if Hiller gets over his problems.

I'd like to kick Chicago's ass in the first round, just to shut up all the Fleury - types out there.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm with Tiger. I don't think anybody wants Anaheim, really. Let Detroit or San Jose take them on. Chicago makes me nervous. They know how to win and we obviously have some skeletons in the closet with respect to the 'Hawks.

Who ever comes out of the West will have been in one hell of a battle.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'd like to face Chicago in the 1st round. If we win, then we get a great morale boost. If we lose, then we get what we deserve.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

I really don't care WHO we play in the first round. Every other team should be peeing their pants to have to face us, and that includes Anaheim, San Jose, Detroit and ALL of the other wannabes.

WE ARE THE CLASS OF THE LEAGUE, WE PLAY OUR GAME WE BEAT ANYONE.
Even if we have to play all 7 games in their building. As for Fleury's comment, whatever. There is certainly parity in the league and ANY team in the playoffs could quite easily lose in the first round and my prediction is that at least HALF of the teams in the playoffs (but no more) will lose in the first round. And I am willing to bet a dollar or two on that if someone will give me good odds.

If I had to choose one team it would be Chicago. They kicked sand in our faces the last two years, it is time for us to do the same. It won't be an easy series, no series will, but it would be good to start off with a real test.

Now about these Kings, I say we beat them 3-2. Should have been 4-2 but Burrows hits the post on an empty netter from just outside the blueline.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I like your attitude dork. Still it sucks about Manny. We went from a team with NO holes, to a team with a hole.

Still, we're tops. Nothing else to say.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote:
Still, we're tops. Nothing else to say.
Yes we are. For the regular season anyhow. Can't wait for the next season (playoffs) to start.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Omg the best regular season they ever had, somehow i can't get it that they're the Presidents right now. :mrgreen:

Again i must refer to Tom Benjamin, very nice article and i agree this season is a success for itself and will be remembered.
The playoffs are a different chapter but the chances are not bad nevertheless there's also a smaller chance to get kicked out in the 1st round. But out of 25 President winners, 7 won the Cup. 28% chance of winning Stanleycup isn't bad...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I want Chicago in the first round. I want to kick their butts and leave them with that taste in their mouth. Once we beat the Hawks we will be up and ready to roll, so it won't matter who after that.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Division, check.
Conference, check.
President's Trophy, check.

Here's hoping we can repeat that in the post-season version.

(for anyone who read the original post... I had a little confusion w/ a famous yacht race. Too early, too little coffee)
Last edited by Puck on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

It was my first Canucks game live in over a month. I have been away working and then took a short vacation with my daughter after a crazy month. So last night was special when I heard we had a chance to win the prez trophy after Philly lost to the Thrashers I was stoked.

Just some thoughts:
1) after Kesler failed to beat the buzzer in the 1st to tie it up, who would have thought Ehrhoff would have a last second goal in the 2nd to take the lead?
2) Those worried about the lack of physicality of the Canucks blue line and fourth line before, need not worry now. They did their damage and I don't see them relenting.
3) The chant of MVP throughout the arena after the game, we couldn't hear ONE word Daniel said.
4) This team has exceeded my expectations and the expectations of many.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

LotusBlossom wrote:4) This team has exceeded my expectations and the expectations of many.
Indeed. Another positive moving forward for anyone who might be worried this team looks too much like the high-flying early-playoff-exit Senators of last decade is that the 'Nucks are winning low scoring games. If we were winning everything 6-4, you might worry that it was a style not suited to the playoffs. I'm hoping that is not the case.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Luongo looked a little out of control last night, but has been playing great for a few months now. He should be rested.

The team seems to have a good attitude this year, they rarely panic and somehow come with goals even when being outplayed.

If the team can stay composed (and they should), and Luongo keeps playing as well as he has I don't see who's going to beat us in a 7 game series.

Samuelsson should be back Saturday
Glass could be back Tuesday
Edler and Alberts are practicing again.

This team should only get better.