GDT: Canucks @ Detroit - 4:30 - TSN, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks @ Detroit - 4:30 - TSN, VS

Post by Cornuck »

The big matchup? Not really, Detroit is missing a handful of players and we're experimenting with line-ups tonight.

Forwards: Sedins-Burrows. Higgins-Kesler-Raymond. Torres-Lapierre-Hansen. Tambellini-Bolduc-Oreskovich.
Defense: Hamhuis-Bieksa. Ehrhoff-Salo. Rome-Ballard.
Luongo gets the start.

Detroit is missing Datsyuk, Franzen, Hudler and Bertuzzi - Osgood is coming back from injury to start.
Detroit has a home record of 17-4-3 against us since 97-98.

Nine games left:

Tonight: VANCOUVER @ DETROIT
Fri Mar 25, 2011 VANCOUVER @ ATLANTA
Sun Mar 27, 2011 VANCOUVER @ COLUMBUS
Tue Mar 29, 2011 VANCOUVER @ NASHVILLE
Thu Mar 31, 2011 LOS ANGELES @ VANCOUVER
Sat Apr 2, 2011 EDMONTON @ VANCOUVER
Tue Apr 5, 2011 VANCOUVER @ EDMONTON
Thu Apr 7, 2011 MINNESOTA @ VANCOUVER
Sat Apr 9, 2011 VANCOUVER @ CALGARY

Not a bad remaining schedule - we have a very good chance at #1 overall, but now it's more important that AV gets his lines sorted out.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Detroit - 4:30 - TSN, VS

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Would love for the Canucks to be the ones to finish the Flames off at the end of the season... but that's for another thread.

IMO this is the only really premiere game left in the regular season. Either way, with an 8 point lead on Detroit we're sitting pretty for first in the west. Assuming we go 4-4-1 over our remaining games (pretty conservative considering our schedule) we wind up with 112 points. At 95 points, Detroit would pretty much have to win out to catch us if we did that (max they can reach is 113).

I'm not looking too much into the game (other than it's a Canucks game vs Detroit), they're banged up, we've got guys out (Manny and Samuelsson) and in (Bieksa) so hopefully they just work on staying healthy and integrating the new guys into the lineup.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
I'm not looking too much into the game (other than it's a Canucks game vs Detroit), they're banged up, we've got guys out (Manny and Samuelsson) and in (Bieksa) so hopefully they just work on staying healthy and integrating the new guys into the lineup.
I'm just looking at this game as a test of depth - for both teams. With Detroit missing 4 of their regulars and the Canucks missing 4 or 5 regulars it'll show how each team can respond to the inevitable playoff attrition by injury.

MG's trades at the deadline could go a long way to solidify the teams depth on the forward lines.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Detroit is missing a handful of players and we're experimenting with line-ups tonight.
Detroit is missing Datsyuk, Franzen, Hudler and Bertuzzi -
yeah and Canucks are missing , Maholtra, Samuelsson, Edler and Alberts so thats about even.. Except not being used as an excuse by Vancouver.. or mentioned on media pregame reviews..
end of 2nd.. 1- 0 Vancouver ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

And the Detroit homers were sure mentioning their injuries right after the game - and whining about the 'goaltender interference' by Lapierre.

Good game and it's great to see Daniel get two - maybe he'll get out of his slump now that his kid has been born. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Well if that's the Luongo we get in the playoffs we can certainly expect to go very deep. Lou was fantastic and probably the reason we won it.

Low scoring, but I was impressed with our offense after the first. Sedin's were dangerous, but Lapierre looked good on the fourth line, and Higgins got better as the game went on playing with Kesler. Raymond is really squeezing it. Guy must be feeling the pressure.

Dan and Hank 1-2 in league scoring, and most of the TSN crew was predicting a back to back Hart trophy winner being named Sedin.

A full 10 points up on the rest of the conference, with 8 games to go. Confident? Yep.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

A great game.. by both teams.. Luongo at the top of his game.. Sedins looking great.. Lapierre is not Maholtra but filled in well on third line.. Agree with Island.. Raymond didn't look good . I doubt he will be on the second line at all when Samuelsson gets back. Good reffing .. can't ask for a better game to watch really.. bonus that we won in regular time :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

yeah and Canucks are missing , Maholtra, Samuelsson, Edler and Alberts so thats about even.. Except not being used as an excuse by Vancouver.. or mentioned on media pregame reviews..
Eh no offense, but Datsuk and Franzen? Don't think that evens out.
Dan and Hank 1-2 in league scoring, and most of the TSN crew was predicting a back to back Hart trophy winner being named Sedin.
Pretty amazing thing.
A full 10 points up on the rest of the conference, with 8 games to go. Confident? Yep.
Was more confident with Manny, but still thing this team will get there anyway.

This has been such a bland year that I wouldn't be surprised if the best team did go and win the cup because it was so predictable. That's from an objective standpoint. As a biased Canucks fan I'm glowing at the prospects of finally seeing that thing being lifted by a guy in a Canucks sweater.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:
Eh no offense, but Datsuk and Franzen? Don't think that evens out.
No it doesn't even out. But I still like our chances with a healthy lineup (even minus Malhotra) vs them. Luongo is a huge advantage over Howard, and getting Edler back over Rome would be a major upgrade too.
Was more confident with Manny, but still thing this team will get there anyway.

This has been such a bland year that I wouldn't be surprised if the best team did go and win the cup because it was so predictable. That's from an objective standpoint. As a biased Canucks fan I'm glowing at the prospects of finally seeing that thing being lifted by a guy in a Canucks sweater.
Malhotra will be missed, but this is a deep team. Very deep. I'm not so sure about a "bland" year, but this is clearly the most talented Canucks team ever assembled. Let's hope they can turn it up in the playoffs and finish the job. It's not always the mot talented that wins, the Canucks will need to battle hard too.