GDT: Canucks host Montreal - 7pm - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host Montreal - 7pm - Snet

Post by Cornuck »

Montreal rolls into town tonight sitting mid pack in the East with 69 points. There playing .500 hockey right now and are 4-4-2 in their last 10.

The last time we played (in Montreal) we were shut out - let's hope that tonight we can even up the season. Hamhuis is back, and should give the team a lift. Knowing the calvary is coming back from IR should be a relief.

NHL.com Preview

THN.com Tale of the Tape

Canucks.com Game Notes

GO CANUCKS GO!

----------------------------------

Montréal roule dans la ville reposant ce soir le mi paquet dans l'est avec 69 points. En jouant là à .500 hockey en ce moment et soyez 4-4-2 dans leurs 10.

La dernière fois nous nous avons joués (à Montréal) étions dehors fermés - let' espoir de s que ce soir nous pouvons même vers le haut de la saison. Hamhuis est de retour, et devrait conduire à l'équipe un. Connaître le calvaire revient de l'IR devrait être un soulagement.

Prévision de NHL.com

conte de THN.com de la bande

notes de jeu de Canucks.com

DISPARAISSENT CANUCKS VONT !
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Montreal - 7pm - Snet

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hamhuis and Ballard back tonight! WOOT! I'm so stoked!

Hopefully they can Schlack Price like they did last time he was in town.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Good game to watch and will enjoy watching Vancouver beat the Habs, who haven't won a game in Vancouver since November 2000 .. :) :) :).. I remember 70's, 80's and 90's years when we were a pushover for Montreal.. Good to see Hamhuis back too !!
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tiger wrote:Good game to watch and will enjoy watching Vancouver beat the Habs, who haven't won a game in Vancouver since November 2000 .. :) :) :).. I remember 70's, 80's and 90's years when we were a pushover for Montreal.. Good to see Hamhuis back too !!
Pretty sad start for the boys tonight. Montreal has sucked lately, and it's obvious they're up for this game. Shots 10-1 Mtl halfway through the first.

Canucks better get their heads out of their asses... because they're about to get embarrassed at home to an extremely mediocre team.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tiger wrote:Good game to watch and will enjoy watching Vancouver beat the Habs, who haven't won a game in Vancouver since November 2000 .. :) :) :).. I remember 70's, 80's and 90's years when we were a pushover for Montreal.. Good to see Hamhuis back too !!
Pretty sad start for the boys tonight. Montreal has sucked lately, and it's obvious they're up for this game. Shots 10-1 Mtl halfway through the first.

Canucks better get their heads out of their asses... because they're about to get embarrassed at home to an extremely mediocre team.
Habs are not mediocre, although they have played that way recently. Injuries... But they obviously were jacked up tonight. And you can't count their performance on the pond hockey heritage game which is great, but really favours the team that can't skate or pass.

We played well for two periods but mailing it in in the first cost us big time. Price played very well.

And any criticism against the canucks effort should NOT (not, that means not) be directed against the 3rd line (Malholtra, Torres and Hansen) which was dynamite for the first two periods.

I'm not sure why they would call up Hodgson and then play him for 4 minutes, but I suppose when you're behind that might happen. I would rather see him in winnipeg playing 20, both for the benefit of future years and later this year. Even if you're seeing if he will fit in the 4th line role for the playoffs, you have to play him more than 4 minutes !! It isn't like he made any huge mistakes that cost us the game.

Next up the Blues, which also suck, but have we beaten them this year ? I know we have lost to them twice, so we don't match up well against them.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Next up the Blues, which also suck, but have we beaten them this year ? I know we have lost to them twice, so we don't match up well against them.
We got beat by a team that wanted to win more than the Canucks did.. the Canucks couldn't get past the Hab's D 5 on 5 and Price played great goal... Luongo didn't.. 10 min in and we were frigged.. The 3rd and 4th line were effective but 1 and 2 didn't play a tough enough game ( sorry but the Sedin's are not physically tough enough and Raymond is worse ).. Kesler worked his butt off but needed help ! .. Same deal will happen with the Blues if we let them dictate the game in the first period..
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dr.dork wrote:
Habs are not mediocre, although they have played that way recently. Injuries... But they obviously were jacked up tonight. And you can't count their performance on the pond hockey heritage game which is great, but really favours the team that can't skate or pass.
The Habs are a very mediocre hockey team. 10th overall, 25th-ranked offense, 10th defense, 11th pp, 10th pk. They're in the middle of the pack and are certainly nothing special. Considering the gross and underperforming contracts they have, it's amazing they can compete. Price is carrying the team.

Habs certainly wanted it more and the Canucks showed up too late for it to matter. Price really stole it for them in the third, but that's hardly comforting to those that showed up to watch the home team get bent over and forcibly jail-loved for the first period with almost no sign of caring.

I'm not sure if it's been all the Raymond bashing on the forum recently, but I watched his game a bit more tonight and he's not looking so great out there. A real confidence issue or something. It seems like most of the guys (once they showed up) are making nice, crisp plays out there and he's having trouble getting the puck deep. Not saying I'd trade him, as he's gotta work his way through it, but he was one of our most insignificant forwards out there tonight.

Also, tonight was the first time I really noticed the non-regular D-men for bad reasons. Tanev and Rome were both -2, were totally to blame for the breakaway goal, looked a bit lost out there. No way the Kesler line should be -2. Kesler needs some help. Samuelsson was -3, Raymond -2. Not gonna cut it.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Tiger wrote: the Canucks couldn't get past the Hab's D 5 on 5 and Price played great goal... Luongo didn't.. 10 min in and we were frigged..
Not sure if you actually watched this one but I don't know how you could possibly blame this one on Lou. Have a look at the highlights. The first goal was on a breakaway. Defensive breakdown by Tanev and Rome (WTF are they doing together?).
The second came after 3 saves by Lou, poor coverage by Salo and nobody could clear the rebounds. If not for Luongo it could easily have been 4 or 5 nothing after the first period.
The 3rd and 4th line were effective but 1 and 2 didn't play a tough enough game ( sorry but the Sedin's are not physically tough enough and Raymond is worse )
It's not up to the Sedins or Raymond to play a tough game. Never has been. They are the skill (supposed to be, anyway). Leave the toughness to the bottom six. To say that these 3 guys didn't play tough enough is really kind of a pointless observation. The Sedins had plenty of chances but couldn't finish. Like you said, Price was great.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

It's not up to the Sedins or Raymond to play a tough game. Never has been. They are the skill (supposed to be, anyway).
Just suggesting that we need a tougher player than Raymond on the 2nd line.. I don't expect the Sedin's to get tough.. They do play tough on the puck and have Burrows to fight his way to the crease.. Subban and Gill did a great job of D.. hard to beat SIze + Skill .
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

3 out of 4 ain't bad!

I don't think that anyone on the Canucks is going to catch Stamkos, so this will be as good as it gets on the leader board.

Luongo is 5th in Save % and 2nd in wins.

(this has nothing to do with the MTL game, but I felt like posting it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I don't think that anyone on the Canucks is going to catch Stamkos, so this will be as good as it gets on the leader board.
Not quite, I think Henrik is going to finish second in scoring. But it still looks pretty good.