In-Game Thread: Canucks vs Ottawa

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

In-Game Thread: Canucks vs Ottawa

Post by Island Nucklehead »

No GDT but lots of goings on in the first period.

Ballard looks seriously hurt. The way that leg went down underneath him it sure looked like at BEST we're looking at a high ankle sprain and at worst a season-ending knee injury.

Luongo is again playing lights-out. Some good saves early.

Kesler.... wow. This guy was once touted as a topping out at a checking center? He's turned into a bonafide sniper, a probably Selke winner, and gives the Canucks what is easily the best 1-2 Center tandem in the league this season. He's a first line center on 2/3 of the teams in hockey. A poor mans Mike Richards... not anymore.

Chris Neil. This is why we need a tough guy. No way Rome is supposed to step up and take on Neil after he flattens Sedin. And you bet your ass you need a response to that. Take liberties with our star players? I'm looking for Torres to step up and do the right thing by putting Spezza through the boards or taking Alfredson out hard. Maybe Glass takes a run at Gonchar. Either way, that's garbage. To top it all off, the instigator penalty... against Chris Neil? What a crock.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: In-Game Thread: Canucks vs Ottawa

Post by the toucan kid »

Chris Neil. This is why we need a tough guy. No way Rome is supposed to step up and take on Neil after he flattens Sedin. And you bet your ass you need a response to that. Take liberties with our star players? I'm looking for Torres to step up and do the right thing by putting Spezza through the boards or taking Alfredson out hard. Maybe Glass takes a run at Gonchar. Either way, that's garbage. To top it all off, the instigator penalty... against Chris Neil? What a crock.
How many times has Hank nearly got rocked this year? 2 or 3 times? There's nothing to be done and a fighter won't stop that. Plain and simple, a guy can get hit, fighting afterward won't help.

As for Ballard, be nice to have him back for the playoffs, but he has underwhelming... *FIXED*

Oh well, tough to have a problem the way we're rocking.
Last edited by the toucan kid on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:
How many times has Hank nearly got rocked this year? 2 or 3 times? There's nothing to be done and a fighter won't stop that. Plain and simple, a guy can get hit, fighting afterward won't help.
It's about sticking up for your skilled guys. You have to respond to thugs like Neil running around. Kudos for Rome for doing it, but he shouldn't be the one to do so. 'Nuff said.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It's about sticking up for your skilled guys. You have to respond to thugs like Neil running around. Kudos for Rome for doing it, but he shouldn't be the one to do so. 'Nuff said.
I guess it is 'nuff said. Because that's exactly what post-hit fighting is, an afterthought. Tada :lol:

*Edit: Although Hank might be a little wobbly the way he handled that 2 on 1 in the 2nd...
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Island Nucklehead wrote: It's about sticking up for your skilled guys. You have to respond to thugs like Neil running around. Kudos for Rome for doing it, but he shouldn't be the one to do so. 'Nuff said.
Silly Island, no, no, just let the punks run roughshod over your star players with no response whatsoever. Turn the other cheek and let 'em have at your best players any time they choose. No need to support your teammates. It's really not necessary to protect and back up the Art Ross and Hart trophy winner. There's no reason to act like a TEAM of BROTHERS.
Give your head a shake Island, what the hell are you proposing? Don't you know we might get a penalty? ;)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ballard's gone - looks ugly

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Ugly 2nd period... the hit on Sedin + Neil dominating Rome in the fight gave Sen's the momentum.. Sad that we got nobody on the 3rd or 4th line to push back a bit... Bright spot was Kesler/Samuelsson line.. We got to protect our swedish twin stars better.. Luongo did a great job in goal again.. Its bad when one of the worst teams in hockey can come into our home rink and dictate the game and nearly win it.. Hope Ballards injury is not too serious though it looks bad..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Silly Island, no, no, just let the punks run roughshod over your star players with no response whatsoever. Turn the other cheek and let 'em have at your best players any time they choose. No need to support your teammates. It's really not necessary to protect and back up the Art Ross and Hart trophy winner. There's no reason to act like a TEAM of BROTHERS.
Give your head a shake Island, what the hell are you proposing? Don't you know we might get a penalty? ;)
Again, show me the correlation between a fight after a hit and the hits stopping in today's game. It doesn't exist, it's nonsense.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:

True dat, Nucklehead. In this case, it should have been the refs taking a stand. Hank is in traffic with 2 other Sens, and Neil comes about 50 feet to make the hit. Hank is lucky it wasn't whiplash, as he had his head down with the puck in his feet, and the hit was high on his chest. Charging or roughing. take your pick. But with no penalty, the refs are encouraging dumb hits like that one.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I hate those after fit hits, especially hits like that. It was a clean hit, he didn't run 40ft to turf him in the boards and didn't drive any elbows into his head or leave his feet, and I didn't notice him running around trying to mow down our other star players the rest of the game. I get it if it's a questionable hit or he's been taking big runs at guys during the game, but it's a contact game and the Sedins are out there a lot and have the puck on their stick a lot means they're suceptible to getting hit. I hardly think having a fourth line plugger for 4mins a night is going to make Neil think twice to making that hit, because guess what? if the ape jumps him he knows he's gone for the night and his team is on the pp. We've got enough size to be able to dish out that type of punishment with our forecheck if we need to, or have Alberts bury their next forward into the boards the next rush down if need be. I've never remembered seeing a player get his "revenge" for a big hit in a fight afterwards anyways, most times it ends up like last night, a wrestle match to the ice, that'll show him...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Kikbutt_10 wrote:I hate those after fit hits, especially hits like that. It was a clean hit, he didn't run 40ft to turf him in the boards and didn't drive any elbows into his head or leave his feet, and I didn't notice him running around trying to mow down our other star players the rest of the game. I get it if it's a questionable hit or he's been taking big runs at guys during the game, but it's a contact game and the Sedins are out there a lot and have the puck on their stick a lot means they're suceptible to getting hit. I hardly think having a fourth line plugger for 4mins a night is going to make Neil think twice to making that hit, because guess what? if the ape jumps him he knows he's gone for the night and his team is on the pp. We've got enough size to be able to dish out that type of punishment with our forecheck if we need to, or have Alberts bury their next forward into the boards the next rush down if need be. I've never remembered seeing a player get his "revenge" for a big hit in a fight afterwards anyways, most times it ends up like last night, a wrestle match to the ice, that'll show him...

I'm not sure if any of you've played competitive hockey, but there is something that is commonly referred to as "the code". It's like a set of un-written rules that hockey players abide by, through junior, minor pro, and professional hockey. Part of that is knowing your role. You can't have a team full of Sedin's, in fact you're lucky to have two of them. This is why you have players like Rypien, Glass etc. in your roster to fill the gaps in your roster and play a tough "character" game. Part of that character involves standing up and protecting those players who make your team successful.

Having a player like Neil, who plays 12 minutes a night, on your roster is used for one thing. Intimidation. He was chasing after guys looking for a fight when the Canucks got up 2-0. You could have a guy like Ryan Shannon in there. That would be a definite upgrade on Neil in terms of skill. But you don't want Neil for skill, you want him to put guys like Sedin through the glass. This isn't a product of the salary cap, because throughout hockey history teams' have needed players to play the tough minutes and keep teammates safe and unworried to play their game.

The "code" says that you must respond, otherwise you lose face, you get chirped, you second guess a look, pass, move etc. because you're looking over your shoulder. You need to know that your teammates have your back if you go down. Sedin scores the goals, someone better look out for him.

In last night's game. Neil hammers Henrik, and who comes over to chat to him? Daniel. Leadership? You betcha. Stupid? Absolutely. If Rome doesn't jump in there the entire team loses face. It's not about Rome beating Neil up, quite the opposite. It proves the team, regardless of the outcome or consequence, will stick up and battle for one another. Call it being a good teammate, camaraderie, chemistry or whatever. But it's real and teams' need it to succeed.

So it's obvious some people want this type of fight out of the game. That's fine, they're the ones who want all fighting out of the game. I'm all good with having the so-called "staged" fight taken out of hockey. The "code" isn't going anywhere. And when one of your stars get dropped by a knuckle-dragger like Neil, there simply has to be a response.

//end rant.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: Again, show me the correlation between a fight after a hit and the hits stopping in today's game. It doesn't exist, it's nonsense.
Open your eyes.
Q.E.D.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Open your eyes.
Q.E.D.
You're joking? (?)
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Good post Island.
I think you hit the nail on the head as to why some posters on here just don't get it. They've never played competitive hockey and are just casual fans.
It's easy to sit back in their lazy-boys and criticize the horrible, needless violence that they see in the NHL. They don't know what it takes for a team to be a team, for players to stand up for each other, what creates the bond between teammates from the top line to the 4th line.
A big part of it is "The Code".
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Great Post .. Island.. and no Toucan.. not joking.. If I guy thinks he's going to take a punch in the head he is less likely to be trying to take a run at your star player .. or players... Gretzky/Semenko Bure/Odjick.. Naslund/Bert ..
and maybe your right you had to be a player to know the code... or a coach .. or an informed fan.. ( been all 3 ) :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice