NCAA Hoops

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

NCAA Hoops

Post by LotusBlossom »

Anyone here a fan of the NCAA?

I've gotten hooked the last few years, and a big advocate of Tom Izzo's program at Michigan State. Hoping to see the Spartans pick it up and have a big win over Purdue on Saturday.

I am probably one of the very few on this board, but I am curious. Do us Canadians give a sh*t about US college sports or not.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: NCAA Hoops

Post by Cornuck »

LotusBlossom wrote:Do us Canadians give a sh*t about US college sports or not.
I didn't until I moved to Nebraska. Cornhusker sports are HUGE here - almost everyone I know here follows football, and most follow the rest of the major teams (women's volleyball might be #2). I started to follow the football team after not watching football seriously for over 10 years. I find it more interesting the the NHL due to the coach's influence and the constant turnover of players. Now that the Huskers have moved to the Big 10, it ends a lot of tradition and century-old rivalries, but makes for an interesting next season.

But before I moved here? I would be under the "didn't give a shit" category.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Over the years I have watched NCAA hoops once it hits the tournament bracket (March Madness). I don't watch much anymore - too busy, but it's a great event. Tons of enthusiasm.

I love NCAA football. There's just something a little different about it than the pro level.

Go UW Huskies. Cornuck - you must have been a little dismayed by the holiday Bowl 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Puck wrote:Cornuck - you must have been a little dismayed by the holiday Bowl 8-)
I guess 'dismayed' would be one word... :? Our season went downhill rapidly once Martinez got injured. Being a Canucks fan has hardened me to the disappointments that sports teams can bring.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Puck--I am a Huskies fan for football, but I must say I love the hoops (probably the Filipino stereotype there).

Corny--I get what you mean about how crazy big college sports is in regions of the US. I lived in Atlanta in the mid-90's and it was nuts how much people followed college sports. I've always liked how the March Madness tournament pans out. I love the hype, the coverage and the passion of the fans in the venues. It's pure electricity! I went to a regular season, Big 10 game last year, for the first time ever, and it was nuts!

It was Indiana vs MSU, in East Lansing, and I must say, it was the most intense crowd I've been a part. I'd go again, if I could find a way to get into the Final Four, I would.

I don't watch the NBA anymore, but NCAA hoops have definitely got a fan in me.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde