Election Memorial Jr.

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Election Memorial Jr.

Post by the Dogsalmon »

the Libs won and we all get to keep our jobs and money...adrian cant kill BC now...
isle_nuck
CC Rookie

Post by isle_nuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:I know I could never be a teacher. For starters I am successful at my chosen field. Second, I can't tolerate whiny little fucks. Third, ever talk to a teacher? They spend so much time speaking kid speak that that is all they know.

We need to get away from the inmates running the asylum and get back to schools being institutions and kids are institutionalized. If teachers want respect from their students they need to demand it, set themselves up as respected individuals above their pupils and quit trying to be their best friends. Students should be calling teachers by Mr./Mrs. or Miss.
Good call Topper.

My girlfriend is a teacher in Yellowknife. She got qualified in Ontario, and moved up here for the work. The pay is pretty good, and the benefits are too. 70Gr is only decent money in Yellowknife. The problem is the system. Parents expect teachers to sort their kids out. That's fucking bullshit if you ask me. Teachers should be able to do just that, teach. They shouldn't be sorting out the behaviour issues that come associated with 9 year olds getting iPads, cell phones and $300 hockey sticks just because.

She deals more with parent emails about lil Johnny sitting next to the class bully, or Sally Pisspants being picked last at recess soccer 3 days in a row. She is qualified to teach, right now she's an extremely expensive babysitter.

So, she's looking at leaving teaching, and starting her own early childhood tutoring/school-prep business. She genuinely enjoys helping children learn, but the garbage that comes along with it just isn't worth it to her.
I am a teacher. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 12 years old; this career is far from a fall back option for me. It's never been about the money for me. If I wanted money, I would take my ability to work with numbers (math teacher!) and go into accounting or business or something else (although I know I'd only end up working in the training department anyway!)

Most people here have said some pretty accurate things about teaching: Yes, we get summers off, but that's needed when we deal with cleaning up the mess of parents who fucked up their children for 10 months. (the stories from Island Nucklehead's gf are becoming more and more normal)

Do I only work 9-3? No. That's when the kids are in the class. The 90 minutes (at least) before and after school is when I plan. I'm on my feet all day either at the board or circulating to make sure everyone is on task and understanding the material. It's rare when I sit at my desk between 9-3. If I don't prep outside of classroom time, I might as well be a babysitter.

Do I hit the top of my wage scale after 10 years? Yup. But that's 10 years of time taught. Not 10 years from the day I first step in the classroom. Which for me is fine. If I don't work, why should I get a raise? The first few years of teaching (once you get hired by a district) are kind of lean, but as many have said, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. It'll take about 15 years from day one of teaching for me to top out. But, again, that's fine for me.

Is it easier to find work in rural areas? Yes and no. It's where I first got hired, but I had to beg them to hire me - and they had parents as substitutes before I got there! After I had been there for a while, the superintendent told me they were waiting to hire me to see if a) I actually wanted to be there and b) it was cheaper for them to use those parents than it was to hire me. Anyway, I've done that and gotten out to an urban centre now. Do I tell newly graduating teachers to go north? Yup, and they look at me like I'm the crazy old man in the corner. Oh well, let them flounder for a while. Humble pie will serve them well.

Maybe they'll follow in my footsteps in another way and teach abroad. Lots of jobs everywhere else. Especially for BC teachers. I've had more then a few people ask my how I could get a job in their country because they were having to go back to school to teach in BC. Apparently our standards to graduate/teach are higher here: I once was hired for a teaching job in a first world country over the phone with no additional courses needed.

As the shitacular commercials put out by the BCTF last spring states, do I want more money? Sure. We all do. But it's about 2485th on my wish list of things I would like. Ask any teacher who is good at their job and is in the classroom for the right reason, and you'll find the same thing. We are pissed with our union for using those commercials to portray us as money hungry.

Before I was actually a teacher, about 15 years ago, during collective bargaining, teachers said that we will gladly take a contract with no wage hike if we got a few working condition items met. Class sizes, prep time, EA's. That sort of stuff. Sure, some wasn't totally necessary (there's no real difference between 28 kids in my class or 31), but it was nice and it was a negotiation. The contract was signed and we were good.

Then, the Liberals decided to take away the working condition items we had bargained for. So, all of a sudden, we had given up a wage hike and had to teach in conditions we had before the contract. We had gladly given up one to get the other and now we lost both. If you want to know why teachers are pissed off, this is why. By the way -turns out what the Liberals did was illegal, according to the Supreme Court of Canada.

I just wanted to agree with/enhance/clarify a few points here from a teacher's point of view. I'll go back to the lurking until I can come back and celebrate a Canucks' Cup win with everyone.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Interesting line at the end of Vaughn Palmer's column today.
This was also the third election in a row where the New Democrats had pitched the need for a public inquiry into the sale of BC Rail and related controversy.

In a telling commentary on the lack of discernible electoral impact of that supposed scandal in the region most affected by the sale, as of May 14, every community along the former BC Rail main line is now represented in the legislature by a Liberal.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just before the election call the NDP revealed and tried to make a scandal out of the Liberals multicultural outreach program. The NDP never had any success.

A week or so ago the NDP revealed their terms of reference for the party's inquiry into the loss of the election. One of the discussion points includes improving the party's ethnic outreach programs.

Now in the legislature the last couple of days, Dix and Kwan (has the other Jenny called her a Chinkasaurus yet?) have been hitting the question period soapbox over the Liberals multicultural outreach program.

Hilarious whining and complaining because the Liberals did a better job of getting out the race vote.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So Dixs steps down and the party is faced with a conundrum of courting greens or courting the unions and
But Bob Peart, incoming director of the Sierra Club of B.C., said the traditional conflict between the environment and the economy is “an old story.” He said the NDP should develop a platform that binds those two key issues, such as the “green jobs” initiatives pursued by U.S. President Barack Obama.
LOL

Funniest thing I've read in ages.