US Erection 12 *AND* 16

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 am

Strangelove wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 am
Per wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am
the current anthropological heating.
:roll:
Yeah, well, there's no scientific concensus, only 97% of climate scientists are convinced, but I think those 97% make a pretty compelling case for it.
The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal.

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century. Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 am

Looks pretty compelling.

Image
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/s ... 6p78XReChA
We know human activities are driving the increase in CO2 concentrations because atmospheric CO2 contains information about its source. Scientists can tease apart how much CO2 comes from natural sources, and how much comes from combusted fossil fuel sources.

Compared to other carbon sources, carbon from fossil fuels has a distinctly different “signature,” essentially the relative amount of heavier or lighter atoms of carbon (technically δ13C). The more negative the δ13C, the higher the proportion of carbon from fossil fuels.

Over the years, δ13C has decreased while the overall amount of CO2 has increased. This information tells scientists that fossil fuel emissions are the largest contributor of CO2 concentrations since the pre-industrial era.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9796
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Topper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am

5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm
Topper wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm
Climate change has been ongoing for over 4.6 billion years. The catastrophic events in earths history are due to geologic and or cosmic events. Species have come and gone. Mass extinctions have occurred. Earth kept rolling along as did life on Earth. To think our insignificant species can have a lasting effect is to be on the arrogant side of the debate.
Straw man. No-one is trying to make a lasting effect in terms of millenia. For the most part people are thinking of the immediate future, i.e. their kids and grandkids.
Princely the shortsighted arrogant belief that natural processes can be reversed in order to perpetuate a species in stasis.
The nice thing about natural processes is that they are very slow, giving mankind time to adapt. It's an acceleration of the change that we want to avoid.
Mass extinctions like the K/T boundary didn't happen in an instant, except in geological time, an instant.
Not relevant to a climate change discussion. Unless, of course, you are saying that despite mankind's ability to adapt in geological time to non-anthropogenic climate change, it's pointless since we'll probably be obliterated by an asteriod anyways.
You are beginning to understand, though our species entered a state of stasis long ago and has been more concerned with manipulating the environment to avoid the inevitable extinction. The period of adaptability is for the most part, gone.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9796
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Topper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:50 am

Pers evidence is weather patterns, not climate patterns.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17351
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am

Per wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 am
Strangelove wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 am
Per wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am
the current anthropological heating.
:roll:
Yeah, well, there's no scientific concensus, only 97% of climate scientists are convinced, but I think those 97% make a pretty compelling case for it.
The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.
At the end of that sentence your article cites this source:

https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-repo ... AL_SPM.pdf

Nowhere in that source report does it say there is a 'there's a 95% probability that this warming trend is the result of human activity'.

Therefore one must conclude that poorly phrased sentence was trying to relay there's a 95% chance that global warming is occurring.

The source does say that it is "extremely likely" that human activity contributes to the current warming

... so it's safe to conclude that sentence didn't mean what you thought it meant.

But remember, they base their conclusion on the premise that CO2 is a major contributor to global warming.

(I have posted links and videos from experts who say that premise is wrong)

If one accepts the theory that CO2 is a major contributor then one will conclude human activity is extremely likely to be a big deal.

However many don't accept that theory.

This is what I mean when I say a Scientific consensus is an oxymoron.

A "Scientific consensus" is based on theories/assumptions which may or may not be true

... whereas "Science" deals with provable facts.

There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.
Your other highlighted sentence is based on circular reasoning in regards to CO2 and global warming...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17351
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Strangelove » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Per wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 am
Looks pretty compelling.

Image
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/s ... 6p78XReChA
We know human activities are driving the increase in CO2 concentrations because atmospheric CO2 contains information about its source. Scientists can tease apart how much CO2 comes from natural sources, and how much comes from combusted fossil fuel sources.

Compared to other carbon sources, carbon from fossil fuels has a distinctly different “signature,” essentially the relative amount of heavier or lighter atoms of carbon (technically δ13C). The more negative the δ13C, the higher the proportion of carbon from fossil fuels.

Over the years, δ13C has decreased while the overall amount of CO2 has increased. This information tells scientists that fossil fuel emissions are the largest contributor of CO2 concentrations since the pre-industrial era.
Yes yes, human activities are driving the increase in CO2 concentrations.

The question is how much effect does increasing in CO2 concentrations have on global warming...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by 5thhorseman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Topper wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm
Topper wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm
Climate change has been ongoing for over 4.6 billion years. The catastrophic events in earths history are due to geologic and or cosmic events. Species have come and gone. Mass extinctions have occurred. Earth kept rolling along as did life on Earth. To think our insignificant species can have a lasting effect is to be on the arrogant side of the debate.
Straw man. No-one is trying to make a lasting effect in terms of millenia. For the most part people are thinking of the immediate future, i.e. their kids and grandkids.
Princely the shortsighted arrogant belief that natural processes can be reversed in order to perpetuate a species in stasis.
The nice thing about natural processes is that they are very slow, giving mankind time to adapt. It's an acceleration of the change that we want to avoid.
Mass extinctions like the K/T boundary didn't happen in an instant, except in geological time, an instant.
Not relevant to a climate change discussion. Unless, of course, you are saying that despite mankind's ability to adapt in geological time to non-anthropogenic climate change, it's pointless since we'll probably be obliterated by an asteriod anyways.
You are beginning to understand, though our species entered a state of stasis long ago and has been more concerned with manipulating the environment to avoid the inevitable extinction. The period of adaptability is for the most part, gone.
So you're basically a nihilist. Sorry I don't share that view. Even if I knew that in 200 years our planet would be hit by an asteroid, I'd still be concerned about human-caused climate change for the sake of my own kids' futures.

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by ukcanuck » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 am
ukcanuck wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 am
Strangelove wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:55 pm
He's not "a suspected rapist" :scowl: and Blasey Ford is a hardcore political activist mounting a smear campaign, nothing more.

The Dems are desperate and they will fail... again.

You must be so proud. :oops:


There is an allegation and until it’s proven to be true or false how can kavanaugh sit as a Supreme Court judge?

The answer is he can’t. If a teacher was accused even falsely he would be on leave until it’s sorted out.
Well done, no doubt this is the exact reasoning some folks would use before throwing down a false accusation.

Wait until the last possible moment in proceedings and then lay down a false accusation = stall tactics.

And of course smear campaigns against one's perceived enemy have their own rewards.

I call this dirty politics...
Ha when was politics anything else ??

Tell me if the shoe was on the other foot, the republicans wouldn’t be howling with rage ?

Poor old Bill, all he got was a willing hummer and they tried to impeach the guy...

Shoulda got a medal if you ask me, have you seen the Guys wife ?? :shock:

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9796
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Topper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm
Topper wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm
Topper wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm
Climate change has been ongoing for over 4.6 billion years. The catastrophic events in earths history are due to geologic and or cosmic events. Species have come and gone. Mass extinctions have occurred. Earth kept rolling along as did life on Earth. To think our insignificant species can have a lasting effect is to be on the arrogant side of the debate.
Straw man. No-one is trying to make a lasting effect in terms of millenia. For the most part people are thinking of the immediate future, i.e. their kids and grandkids.
Princely the shortsighted arrogant belief that natural processes can be reversed in order to perpetuate a species in stasis.
The nice thing about natural processes is that they are very slow, giving mankind time to adapt. It's an acceleration of the change that we want to avoid.
Mass extinctions like the K/T boundary didn't happen in an instant, except in geological time, an instant.
Not relevant to a climate change discussion. Unless, of course, you are saying that despite mankind's ability to adapt in geological time to non-anthropogenic climate change, it's pointless since we'll probably be obliterated by an asteriod anyways.
You are beginning to understand, though our species entered a state of stasis long ago and has been more concerned with manipulating the environment to avoid the inevitable extinction. The period of adaptability is for the most part, gone.
So you're basically a nihilist. Sorry I don't share that view. Even if I knew that in 200 years our planet would be hit by an asteroid, I'd still be concerned about human-caused climate change for the sake of my own kids' futures.
Think of the world your grand parents or great grand parents faced. Do you believe you can predict the world your grand children and great grand children will face?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by 5thhorseman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Topper wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm
Topper wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 am
Topper wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Straw man. No-one is trying to make a lasting effect in terms of millenia. For the most part people are thinking of the immediate future, i.e. their kids and grandkids.
Princely the shortsighted arrogant belief that natural processes can be reversed in order to perpetuate a species in stasis.
The nice thing about natural processes is that they are very slow, giving mankind time to adapt. It's an acceleration of the change that we want to avoid.
Mass extinctions like the K/T boundary didn't happen in an instant, except in geological time, an instant.
Not relevant to a climate change discussion. Unless, of course, you are saying that despite mankind's ability to adapt in geological time to non-anthropogenic climate change, it's pointless since we'll probably be obliterated by an asteriod anyways.
You are beginning to understand, though our species entered a state of stasis long ago and has been more concerned with manipulating the environment to avoid the inevitable extinction. The period of adaptability is for the most part, gone.
So you're basically a nihilist. Sorry I don't share that view. Even if I knew that in 200 years our planet would be hit by an asteroid, I'd still be concerned about human-caused climate change for the sake of my own kids' futures.
Think of the world your grand parents or great grand parents faced. Do you believe you can predict the world your grand children and great grand children will face?
Utopia or smashed by a asteroid, it doesn't matter. We make decisions based on the knowledge we have now.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9796
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Topper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm

A company I used to work for hired an Ivy league tectonics guru to do a Cretaceous reconstruction of the Americas. He and a phd student worked on it for over a year and presented their research. One of the many interesting things in their work was the correlation of tectonic rates to sea levels. Speed up mid ocean spreading rate and the sea level drops, slow it down or increase subduction rates and sea levels drop.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3619
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 am

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am

Every day it is like watching a soap opera with this guy.

Trump = WPE

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by ukcanuck » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm

:blush:
ukcanuck wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:18 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 am
ukcanuck wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 am
Strangelove wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:55 pm
He's not "a suspected rapist" :scowl: and Blasey Ford is a hardcore political activist mounting a smear campaign, nothing more.

The Dems are desperate and they will fail... again.

You must be so proud. :oops:


There is an allegation and until it’s proven to be true or false how can kavanaugh sit as a Supreme Court judge?

The answer is he can’t. If a teacher was accused even falsely he would be on leave until it’s sorted out.
Well done, no doubt this is the exact reasoning some folks would use before throwing down a false accusation.

Wait until the last possible moment in proceedings and then lay down a false accusation = stall tactics.

And of course smear campaigns against one's perceived enemy have their own rewards.

I call this dirty politics...
Ha when was politics anything else ??

Tell me if the shoe was on the other foot, the republicans wouldn’t be howling with rage ?

Poor old Bill, all he got was a willing hummer and they tried to impeach the guy...

Shoulda got a medal if you ask me, have you seen the Guys wife ?? :shock:
Hey Doc two more women coming forward, that’s three accusations now...

I guess you would call that piling on.

But increasingly it looks like where there is smoke.

However aside from all this it’s deeply troubling that the Supreme Court is being stacked with right wing fanatic Christians. I kinda thought the idea of having a panel of judges was to make the court more balanced.

However it seems that the court is a playground for republican politics and a sinister ploy for suckering votes.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3876
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Now everything makes sense, he has a very very large brain.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/presi ... 00138.html

Man you just can’t make up this shit.

Post Reply