US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

What we really need is a Teddy Roosevelt; a president ready to break up the monopolies. But Donald Trump certainly isn't Teddy Roosevelt.
non enim veni Gauncem, enim manci Biegum

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 pm

He's not telling them what to do as I understand it Per. He's simply proposing to remove their anti trust protection.
Anti trust? No, I think that's Pelosi, among others.

What Trump wants to do is remove section 230 (?) that says they're not responsible for content posted on their platforms.

As a response to policing, that's pretty weird, because it would force them to do a lot more policing of content, lest they get sued. :|
Last edited by Per on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Per wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote:

He's not telling them what to do as I understand it Per. He's simply proposing to remove their anti trust protection.

What Trump wants to do is remove section 230 (?) that says they're not responsible for content posted on their platforms.

As a response to policing, that's pretty weird, because it would force them to do a lot more policing of contenet, lest they get sued. :hmmm:
Yeah I conflated what Trump is actually proposing to do with what Jimmy Dore has been on the bandwagon about him doing for a while now, which is to use anti trust law to break up the tech behemoths. Jimmy Dore on the brain here. It's Jimmy Dore's hobby horse. Should have posted this:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/5/28/21 ... r-facebook

By the way Per, there are no hate speech laws on the books in the US, that's Canada. And I'm guessing Sweden probably too.
non enim veni Gauncem, enim manci Biegum

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:16 am
Per wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote:

As a response to policing, that's pretty weird, because it would force them to do a lot more policing of contenet, lest they get sued. :hmmm:
Yeah I conflated what Trump is actually proposing to do with what Jimmy Dore has been on the bandwagon about him doing for a while now, which is to use anti trust law to break up the tech behemoths. Jimmy Dore on the brain here. It's Jimmy Dore's hobby horse. Should have posted this:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/5/28/21 ... r-facebook

By the way Per, there are no hate speech laws on the books in the US, that's Canada. And I'm guessing Sweden probably too.
Great tweet posted in the middle of that article you linked to:
Laurence Tribe
@tribelaw
·
27 maj
Just to be clear: Trump’s statement that Twitter, a private company, is abridging his First Amendment freedom of speech by tagging his wild tweets about write-in voter fraud as misleading is totally absurd and legally illiterate. This thread explains why:
Laurence Tribe
@tribelaw
·
27 maj
1. The First Amendment limits only the Government, not private entities like Twitter.

2. Anyway, Twitter’s tagging of Trump’s claims about write-in voting is itself absolutely protected under the First Amendment as an expression of opinion.
https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/126 ... r-facebook

:thumbs:

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Per wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 pm
Finally, Twitter or Facebook censoring what you write on their platforms is not a violation of free speech. When you signed up to their platform you agreed to a set of terms, that you read very carefully and then agreed to. Including that they can remove content you post, and that if you violate their rules they can close your account. If you want to say things that do not meet their criteria, you are free to do so elsewhere.
There is no elsewhere. LOL. They know that. If your too right, your wrong. My kids been wrong for six months and has to be Mr. incognito man
every three weeks or so on Twitter so he can be there. He was accidentally caught in the middle of a Twitter exchange where one lefty name calling happened and wham. 8 appeals and counting. I looked at it and there was just one dude misbehaving. I tried to step in and help help him explain that. They told me not to interfere with their decision process again or I too would be cut off. I can't be, it would be detrimental to business :crazy: Yikes! Felt like Maverick in Viper's office.

Guess the whole damn thing--tweets, faces, tubes, etcs .........will always depend on editors and what kind of day they're having.
"evolution"

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Micky wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 am
Per wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 pm
Finally, Twitter or Facebook censoring what you write on their platforms is not a violation of free speech. When you signed up to their platform you agreed to a set of terms, that you read very carefully and then agreed to. Including that they can remove content you post, and that if you violate their rules they can close your account. If you want to say things that do not meet their criteria, you are free to do so elsewhere.
There is no elsewhere. LOL. They know that. If your too right, your wrong. My kids been wrong for six months and has to be Mr. incognito man
every three weeks or so on Twitter so he can be there. He was accidentally caught in the middle of a Twitter exchange where one lefty name calling happened and wham. 8 appeals and counting. I looked at it and there was just one dude misbehaving. I tried to step in and help help him explain that. They told me not to interfere with their decision process again or I too would be cut off. I can't be, it would be detrimental to business :crazy: Yikes! Felt like Maverick in Viper's office.

Guess the whole damn thing--tweets, faces, tubes, etcs .........will always depend on editors and what kind of day they're having.
Yup. The mods run the world.

Right, doc?

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 am

Yup. The mods run the world.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:02 am
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look at this clip and see...

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

This is disturbing. :(
This is where the war on media has brought us.

https://apnews.com/1d2d9e4afdd822b27bfcce570e0cbdb5

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:56 pm
This is disturbing. :(
This is where the war on media has brought us.

https://apnews.com/1d2d9e4afdd822b27bfcce570e0cbdb5
All the disturbing shit going on in the riots/protests... and you single out that?

Yes the media has been ever so slightly abused here and there by police and rioters.

But surely they took a course or two in Covering a War Zone in Brainwashing Journalism School?

Shit happens.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mad Dog Mattis, former defence secretary under Trump, takes a stand:
IN UNION THERE IS STRENGTH
I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 41 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.
From the June 2020 issue: We are living in a failed state

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... on/612640/

Image Image Image
Last edited by Per on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"Mad Dog" indeed, guess that's what you get when you fire ole Mad Dog. :mrgreen:

Doesn't matter, Trumpy-poo's opposition fucked-himself over with the racial comments..

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Yeeeeeeeeup:

https://summit.news/2020/06/05/rasmusse ... o-over-40/
Rasmussen: Black Approval For Trump Surges to Over 40%

Despite the recent riots over police brutality, Rasmussen has indicated that black approval for the job President Trump is doing is now over 40%.

“Our Daily Presidential Tracking poll today shows Black Likely Voter approval of the job @realDonaldTrump is now over 40%,” tweeted the polling agency.

The full results of the poll are yet to be published, but the number suggests that the media’s campaign to frame Trump’s response to the riots as draconian and racist has completely failed.

For comparison, back in August 2019, Rasmussen’s numbers showed black support for Trump hovering at around 26%.

Several polls conducted in December 2019 also showed black support for Trump over 30%.
According to Pedo Joe, 40% of blacks ain't black! :drink:

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!