US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 am
rats19 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am
Per wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 pm The US really should consider making tuition free college available for every one.
Apart from better informed voters making better decisions, an educated population also makes the economy more competitive.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... dao50S9e_U
My pasta flipper in Cuba was a physicist... great guy though
When I did a few work trips there looking at projects in the 90's, one farmer in rural Santa Clara said "you kick over a rock in Cuba and you'll find an engineer". Yeah, I travelled with one of the county's top geologist, he and his wife, a doctor, each made $10/month.
It’s $35.00 now
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am
Per wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 pm The US really should consider making tuition free college available for every one.
Apart from better informed voters making better decisions, an educated population also makes the economy more competitive.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... dao50S9e_U
:lol:

Paranoid much?

Or are you suggesting that ignorance is a virtue?

Furthermore, did you read any of the articles that pop up from that search?
Most of them completely dismiss the idea. My guess is you did read them, didn't find anything to support your suggestion, but decided to post the link just the same, hoping noone would bother to click on the links. Am I right? 8-)

Here is an explanation someone posted though, at one of those links on why college educated people may have as more liberal outlook:
There could be many explanations for this, but instead of getting into the specific stances of each party (which do drive your questioned phenomena a large amount), let’s just discuss what conservative and liberal mean.

Ultimately, the core tenant of conservative politics is to maintain the status quo. It is a political leaning taken up by people who like the way their life is, usually with strong patriotic (lately nationalistic) leanings, a smaller scale world view, and a belief that things are good the way they are.

Liberals on the other side are the opposite. They take the stance that things are not the best the way they are, or the way they have been in the past, and thus need adjusting. This can take the context of social, economic, lately scientific, and legal change.

College, being a center of knowledge in a region, tends to produce and attract liberal thinkers. If we investigate young conservative individuals heading to college it’s easy to see why. Traditionally, conservative areas are usually homogenous in race, religion, economic level, and education attainment. It is very easy to maintain a conservative mindset in those environments because of a lack of outside stresses. It is also the reason why liberal politics get introduced into those environments locals will often find them pervasive. When a young conservative heads to college, even if the college is in a conservative state, they are suddenly exposed to a variety of stressors that make it more difficult to maintain a conservative mindset. Various races of people, plethora of religions, endless amounts of empirical evidence describing an assortment of phenomena, etc. basically, access to ways of life and ways of thinking not previously available to them. This drives many more conservative leaning students to join the other, already liberal students attending a university.

This trend is exastribated by specific stances of the political parties that drive students of all types to be more liberal. Since GWB, the republic party has known to be relatively anti-intellectual which does not stand well with people pursuing intellectual paths. The republic branch that drives for social conservation also creates tension with college students. It is harder to side with conservative politics when you meet friends at university trying to immigrate to the US or belonging to a sexuality the Republican Party actively fights against.

I would say the final nail in the coffin that has made the republican party lose the respect of academics is a recent stance to be anti-science. It is not to say solutions to scientific problem can’t be approached conservatively, they can. The problem is that core scientific truth is intentionally being distorted by conservative politicians or players. It also doesn’t help that it is often very clear why they hold this stance. Little investigation into people such as the Koch brothers make it clear industry has purchased the anti-science stance of the republican party. The only reason the Republican Party disputes climate change, for example, is because the oil industry dumps money into their pockets. Granted they are just trying to support their constituents, but it’s counter productive to argue against climate change instead of simply trying to make a conservative solution.
Or maybe it's as simple as that meme "facts are known to have a strong liberal bias".
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm Most of them completely dismiss the idea. My guess is you did read them, didn't find anything to support your suggestion, but decided to post the link just the same, hoping noone would bother to click on the links. Am I right? 8-)
Yeahno, you were supposed to find the ones that support the idea and meditate upon dat dere.

Me, I'm much too busy. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Finally managed to watch this.

Was interesting seeing an establishment republican and progressive conservative duke it out with a populist conservative.

Bannon made some interesting points but essentially his argument has been a left wing argument for decades and the the first thing Trump does is give a huge tax break to the very people who caused the economic melt down in 2008?

Sounds more like trump jumping on the populist bandwagon for votes than him actually giving a crap about the middle class.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:46 pm Sounds more like trump jumping on the populist bandwagon for votes than him actually giving a crap about the middle class.
Whatever you need to believe! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:46 pm Sounds more like trump jumping on the populist bandwagon for votes than him actually giving a crap about the middle class.
Whatever you need to believe! :lol:
Tell me what I am supposed to believe

On one hand he blames the party of Davos and then condones a tax cut for the elites ??

Seems like a swindle to me
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I guess Trump was worried about what the rain would do to his fake hair.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 pm I guess Trump was worried about what the rain would do to his fake hair.
I guess.... or the helicopter crew & secret service felt the increment weather was an issue

Your choice
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:06 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 pm I guess Trump was worried about what the rain would do to his fake hair.
I guess.... or the helicopter crew felt the increment weather was an issue

Your choice
White House chief of staff John Kelly and Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the roughly 50-mile long trip to the cemetery in a small motorcade of vehicles. The drive took about 90 minutes each way. Separately, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel traveled a similar distance by car to a commemorative event in northern France.
He could bummed a ride with Kelly, if it was important to him.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:11 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:06 pm
I guess.... or the helicopter crew felt the increment weather was an issue

Your choice
White House chief of staff John Kelly and Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the roughly 50-mile long trip to the cemetery in a small motorcade of vehicles. The drive took about 90 minutes each way. Separately, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel traveled a similar distance by car to a commemorative event in northern France.
He could bummed a ride with Kelly, if it was important to him.
Do you honestly believe the military and it’s history is not important to him? Honestly?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:15 pm Do you honestly believe the military and it’s history is not important to him? Honestly?
I consider him a draft dodging, self-centred, narcissistic asshole (and long before he ran for prez) - draw your own conclusions.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:17 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:15 pm Do you honestly believe the military and it’s history is not important to him? Honestly?
I consider him a draft dodging, self-centred, narcissistic asshole (and long before he ran for prez) - draw your own conclusions.
+1

Plus not to mention all the other leaders made it.

And the only history he likes is the one he makes up in his head.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Especially since he couldn't bring his umbrella...

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Meh, some days they say he loves the military too much, other days too little.

Haters gonna hate.

Just ignore them and relish the fact Lord Trump is the most powerful man on Earth

... and the wicked witch is dead. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

http://www.nndb.com/event/806/000140386/

Partial list of other draft deferment recipients

FYI