My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: My Truck...

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote: I'd look for an '04 or earlier Tacoma double cab if I were you. They are better built than the '05+ current model.
I have been drooling over them for months, but dont have the $20K plus trade in to spend.

Thats why I was looking at the Dakota quad cab. Take the kids, and dog, maybe a load of dirt and tools. What was it that turned you off the Dakotas? I have the same feeling you do about the frontiers too, they leave a lot to be imagined with not much track record.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

CFP! wrote:
Topper wrote: I'd look for an '04 or earlier Tacoma double cab if I were you. They are better built than the '05+ current model.
I have been drooling over them for months, but dont have the $20K plus trade in to spend.
2004 or earlier.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Tacom ... po=ShowCPO

$13,900

Could probably squeeze them some because it's a 2003. This would be far more reliable and better quality than a Dakota with 100,000 less kms.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

One thing I find interesting about the Nissan trucks is that in Australia the equivalent model truck and SUV(Nevara and Patrol) are even with the Toyota products and to many mechanics and such, better quality. The Nissan trucks we get here are far inferior and I can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't send over the good stuff.
On a side note, I read recently that the NAFTA agreement has been opened up to allow the trade of used vehicles between Canada and Mexico. In Mexico they have the left hand drive Toyota Hilux with the 3L diesel motor. Excellent vehicle and dependant on how "free" the trade will be, we may see some of those small Japanese diesel trucks that are 1000 times better than the current gas engines we are stuck with right now. In Oz, many people use those diesels to haul big boats and RVs all over the place and most have no problem with them being too small. I had one(2011 Hilux 4x4) for a company vehicle last year there and I am a big fan. I'll be hunting for one next winter from Mexico and will let y'all know if I find out anything interesting or the negatives.
Has anybody happened to see a Nissan Nevara left hand drive in Mexico on a vacation by chance?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have a '97 Hilux in Belize. A fantastic vehicle with a 2.8l diesel. Most Toyota folks agree that with the current Hilux, the Tacoma may be on par or even better.

I believe the reason we didn't get the Hilux or the Patrol is because the off road segment is considered a niche market. The market they are going after with their vehicles are the weekend ski cabin crowd.

The problem with motors is the US EPA permitting costs limit the selection.

Off roaders are left to the aftermarket suppliers and this is where the Hilux out performs the Tacoma. The offerings from folks like ARB/OME for the Hilux are more extensive than for the Tacoma.

I'd love it if Toyota offered a F150 Raptor equivalent of the Tacoma. Add a long travel suspension to the TRD turbo kit they already sell.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I am going to try anyways. If not I'll go with the '11 or '12 Tacoma TRD. Curious what you know or heard negative about it...

The late '90s to '03 Hilux and Tacoma models are definitely excellent vehicles. I would agree with AaronP and Tops on that one as far as value for your 10-15K CFP.

Check out "Old Man Emu" performance equipment out of Australia. The long travel suspension gear for anything Toyota is a very popular with the off roaders down unda. I think they also make gear for new Jeeps since they're available there now too.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have an OME suspension on my Tacoma. They do not make long travel suspensions. They make better and slightly longer springs and better shocks/struts but travel is reduced. What gained in lift is lost in travel. It is a function of geometry. To get long travel, you need to go to someone like Donahoe(pedobear)/Icon or Allpro and replace upper and lower control arms, cv/axleshafts and more.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote:I have an OME suspension on my Tacoma. They do not make long travel suspensions. They make better and slightly longer springs and better shocks/struts but travel is reduced. What gained in lift is lost in travel. It is a function of geometry. To get long travel, you need to go to someone like Donahoe(pedobear)/Icon or Allpro and replace upper and lower control arms, cv/axleshafts and more.
How do you find the quality and pricing on their gear? I wasn't aware they were available out here but then again I haven't been looking...
Got a pic of your truck? I'd like to compare a few different ideas on mods, dependant on if I can get my hands on a late model diesel hilux or take the easy road and get the Tacoma.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The last pic is the most recent.

What I've done to it:
OME 886 front springs, Dakar HD leaf packs rear
ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, Amstels Blue winch rope
Rocktec rear bumper
16" steel wheels with Goodyear Duratracs 265/75-16
Line X on the rocker panels
Scan Gauge II and a VHF/UHF radio
Lightforce 170's with HID conversion

The OME/Dakar and ARB bumper are great. Rocktec rear is amazingly skookum. The stock suspension on these trucks is junk. With the OME/Dakar, I'm good for ~an extra 500lbs. The last picture I've got it way overloaded at roughly 1.5 tonne in the back. The ride with the OME/Dakars is better than stock.

Highly recommend the Line-X on the rocker panels. Stock mud flaps are easily torn off so I rmoved the three the bush hadn't got and went to a Line-X dealer.

Pricing on the ARB/OME/Dakar gear in Canada isn't bad. If you live near the US border, US pricing is better and shipping to the US side of the border is often included. Some Canadian Toyota dealers are now selling ARB gear, but if you by south of 49, my go to dealer is Toyota of Dallas. Great prices and Jacques is wealth of info and help.

http://trdparts4u.com/Scripts/default.asp

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Thanks! That truck looks pretty damn sweet!
Really liking the bumpers you chose and they don't price in too bad at all using the link you provided. I also was checking out the bolt on supercharger package they have under TRD performance. Apparently it adds 80+HP and considerable torque without compromising fuel economy much at all. I'll be towing my fishing boat sometimes so towing capability has been a consideration when deciding which vehicle to buy. Having over 300HP and 400 ft/lbs of torque brings performance up with the full size trucks without having to drive around in those tanks.
Did you add a lift other than the Dakar and OME gear? It seems to sit higher but it may be perspective due to opening up the front wheels with the bumper approach.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The 886's with the bumper and winch raises the front end ~2.75" and the Dakar HD'd in the back raise that end a bit more than 3". It is not advisable to raise the IFS front more than 3" or you'll cause problems with your CV joints. The first to go will be the boots from the fins rubbing against one another.

The 3" front lift issue is why OME offers three different front spring sets for the 05+ Tacomas. Each is based upon the cab size, bumper and winch combination.

If you are considering a turbo, look at the URD version.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
CFP! wrote:
2004 or earlier.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Tacom ... po=ShowCPO

$13,900

Could probably squeeze them some because it's a 2003. This would be far more reliable and better quality than a Dakota with 100,000 less kms.

You should be able to get that truck under 10k.

People generally out to lunch when it comes to their expectations regarding the sale price on used vehicles. The wholesale on the truck you linked is probably close to 6k.

A new Tacoma is around 30k, after 80k and 4 years you can cut that price in half. That vehicle has 160k and is almost 10 years old.

14k is an absolute pipe dream and a totally absurd price to pay for a 10 year old vehicle.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is this like the Redneck thread?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Is this like the Redneck thread?
No it's called the truck thread and these aren't monster trucks dude.
Access to the backcountry for hunting and fishing requires more than factory clearance and capabilites if you want to be able to pull the moose/elk/deer out of there... Y'all
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I go into the bush so we can log it, mine it then pave it for the rest of you truck owners get there.

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Is this like the Redneck thread?
Feeling a bit undersized here RD?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.