My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: My Truck...

Post by ODB »

Potatoe1 wrote:[
Hate buying in the last year before a re-design.
I think the 1st year is more worrisome. They're still working out the kinks! :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last year of a model run, you may take a hit when it comes to resale/trade value, but if it is your work truck, you probably want to depreciate the hell out of it and not have that value back on your books so it doesn't matter.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:Last year of a model run, you may take a hit when it comes to resale/trade value, but if it is your work truck, you probably want to depreciate the hell out of it and not have that value back on your books so it doesn't matter.
Good point...

Butt, a motor vehicle is a terrible asset no matter what. They all lose value and none of them are a "good" investment. Some hold value more than others but all end up losers so don't lose any sleep over it. You need a truck for both your livelihood and life in general. I wouldn't be too concerned with what it will be worth 5/10 years from now. By then it'll have served it's purpose and you'll NEED a new one.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

ODB wrote:
Topper wrote:Last year of a model run, you may take a hit when it comes to resale/trade value, but if it is your work truck, you probably want to depreciate the hell out of it and not have that value back on your books so it doesn't matter.
Good point...

Butt, a motor vehicle is a terrible asset no matter what. They all lose value and none of them are a "good" investment. Some hold value more than others but all end up losers so don't lose any sleep over it. You need a truck for both your livelihood and life in general. I wouldn't be too concerned with what it will be worth 5/10 years from now. By then it'll have served it's purpose and you'll NEED a new one.
It's all about cost of ownership. If you buy smart and use it right there can be real value. Your either drive it to preserve it or drive it to enjoy it. Sometimes you can find the middle ground.

Look at the same model from 5 years ago and then compare used selling price now vs new price then- what;s the difference and then divide that by months- there is your cost of ownership. Figure out what makes sense for you.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Vpete wrote: Look at the same model from 5 years ago and then compare used selling price now vs new price then- what;s the difference and then divide that by months- there is your cost of ownership. Figure out what makes sense for you.
If you take a look at the typical lease agreement, generally after 4-years you are down 50% of the purchase price. There is always a bit of variance but it's more or less going to fall in fairly close to that.

So yeah if you buy or lease a car at 40K it's costing you 5k per year + tax + what ever the interest on the loan is.

And yeah this is why I hate financing vehicles, it tricks you into thinking in terms of affordability (payment) and not cost. All of a sudden you are in the dealership spending 2k on a fancy nav unit, 3k on leather, and 1k on a sun roof, 2k on bigger tires, etc, etc, cus it's only an extra 150$ a month.....

That said only an idiot turns down super cheap financing (amusing you can not negotiate a price reduction which in the case of GMC, it does not appear to be possible).
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

On a truck forum I follow, someone asked about used full size. The general consensus was the new eco boot Ford F150, though it was out of the price range of the guy who was seeking advice.

All seemed very impressed with that new engine - oh yeah, it is a Toyota forum, so there was lots of blind Tundra support.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

possible head gasket in duramax.....YIKES!!!

still pressure after sitting overnight..cant afford the fix at the moment...should geta compression test just to make sure i guess
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Two years ago I had the head replaced on my 2.8L diesel Hilux, $1,200. Gotta love 3rd world labour costs.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:Two years ago I had the head replaced on my 2.8L diesel Hilux, $1,200. Gotta love 3rd world labour costs.
diesel forum says 4500-5500....FML
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Did you end up grabbing a Truck Pot?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ODB wrote:Did you end up grabbing a Truck Pot?
Once we moved into September almost every company changed their deals for the better. I guess the 2013's are all coming in and there is lots of 2012's unsold.

Very much leaning towards the GMC, but I want the better engine. Probably start shopping again shortly. Going to check out the ecoboost F150's as well as per Toppers above post.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ODB wrote:Did you end up grabbing a Truck Pot?
Once we moved into September almost every company changed their deals for the better. I guess the 2013's are all coming in and there is lots of 2012's unsold.

Very much leaning towards the GMC, but I want the better engine. Probably start shopping again shortly. Going to check out the ecoboost F150's as well as per Toppers above post.
Do research on the ecoboost! I don't know much about em but I've read Ford has had nothing but trouble with them.

I wouldn't even consider a truck (full sized) with anything less than a 5.3l. I actually really like the 6.2 and I haven't noticed a difference at the pump.

And I don't know if it's been brought up but you're wanting a crew cab right. Don't get the extended cab....
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ODB wrote:
Do research on the ecoboost! I don't know much about em but I've read Ford has had nothing but trouble with them.
I checked them out today and they bump the price too much. I cant justify spending 40k on a work vehicle that I will be warping and putting a roof rack on.

And I don't know if it's been brought up but you're wanting a crew cab right. Don't get the extended cab....
Yeah crew cab is a must.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:Do research on the ecoboost! I don't know much about em but I've read Ford has had nothing but trouble with them.

I wouldn't even consider a truck (full sized) with anything less than a 5.3l. I actually really like the 6.2 and I haven't noticed a difference at the pump.

Kicking around the idea of getting a truck again. All the incentives coming out right now to move the 2012's out has us wondering if maybe we should. The sports/sedan in the north is just retarded and with all the work on the house I've been slowed down big time by not having a truck of my own, so we're just making sure the finances all line up for us and we aren't going to be hiking our monthly expenses by almost a G-note even after a downpayment and everything is all said and done.

That being said, I was looking at the Ford Eco-Boost. Read all over the place on them and have a good friend that works in the service department at Ford and he says that they are really an incredible engine when it comes to pep and power etc. However, I have come across a couple of reviews that have claimed that the Eco-Boost only beats their regular 8-cylinder by a couple of mpg (one review said as low as 1 mpg). I haven't heard much about them having loads of trouble with them, but the big attraction is supposed to be the boost in economy.....I'm thinking that it's a gimmick if it isn't at least getting the owner 5+mpg on a consistent basis.

Trucks on my short list right now are a 2012 Titan Pro-4x and a Dodge Sport with Hemi. The Titan because I've always liked them, and for what I'm going to use it for the only downside to it is that it's in the bottom third of the pack for fuel economy. However, when it's only a difference of 2-3 mpg I'm not sweating on it. Also have to consider that the Titan might just be the most nible full-size truck on the road, and since my wife will be driving it, the more it feels like a car or SUV the better. The Dodge is on the list only because it is damned cheap with the options I want, but I don't really like them, and my wife has hated the times she's even been a passenger in my buddy's 2008 model. But I also don't know if I'm going to write off with a dealer just because I think his trucks are ugly if he's willing to sell me a brand new 1500 Sport 4x4 with the Hemi for $10K less than Ford, Nissan, Toyota, or Chev will.

Ford and Chev priced themselves right out of the picture once it came time to adding some of the options I wanted and then seeing that I'll get 0% or 0.9% from Nissan. Dodge is offerring 4% but on a shorter term and, as I said, $10K less.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ODB wrote:
I checked them out today and they bump the price too much. I cant justify spending 40k on a work vehicle that I will be warping and putting a roof rack on.

Yeah crew cab is a must.
The price bumped? $40K is about what I saw, I'd have to go in and look at the dealership myself, but I've building and pricing online and the Eco-Boost option was only a $1250 increase. Not too bad all things considered. But I'm looking at a daily driver half-ton, not a work truck.