My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: My Truck...

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lemmie guess, you guys all own quads as well? Vacation two weeks of the year to lake Osoyoos with your speed boats and showing off your Celtic Rope tattoos with Nickleback cranked.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:...showing off your Celtic Rope tattoos with Nickleback cranked.
Insult of the week! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Well...it takes all kinds I guess. There's room for everyone somewhere...

If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Lemmie guess, you guys all own quads as well? Vacation two weeks of the year to lake Osoyoos with your speed boats and showing off your Celtic Rope tattoos with Nickleback cranked.
Nope, Drake...lol.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:Lemmie guess, you guys all own quads as well? Vacation two weeks of the year to lake Osoyoos with your speed boats and showing off your Celtic Rope tattoos with Nickleback cranked.
No quad, though my client has a few, holiday cabin is in Belize (where I have my Hilux :D ), no tattoos and my music is from closer to Austin these days.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Topper, I purchased a 2012 Taco in June. I really like the updated interior and the purported driveline vibration is not an issue to me anyway. I went with a Toytec lift with the Bildstein 5100s. Not as HD as your suspension but seems adequate. I made a mistake though and got BFG All Terrain T/A's. They are a shit tire in snow and I would have thought I learned my lesson the last time I wasted $1100 on them.

The inverter makes field dressing deers on the tailgate a snap! I pack along a fircken heater. It's awesome!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Carlyee wrote:Topper, I purchased a 2012 Taco in June. I really like the updated interior and the purported driveline vibration is not an issue to me anyway. I went with a Toytec lift with the Bildstein 5100s. Not as HD as your suspension but seems adequate. I made a mistake though and got BFG All Terrain T/A's. They are a shit tire in snow and I would have thought I learned my lesson the last time I wasted $1100 on them.

The inverter makes field dressing deers on the tailgate a snap! I pack along a fircken heater. It's awesome!
Auto or stick?

Is that a Toytec top spacer on the Billys? Just the fronts or did you do something other than shocks in the rear. The problem with spacers is they preload the springs.

You won't get a drive line vibe until you raise the back end. I have a new hanger bearing for the rear driveshaft sitting in a box in the basement.

I ran BFG At's for years. They were the best compromise of highway and bush use I could find. Always found them to be fine in snow, but a squirrely nightmare on ice. I had my last set siped and that made a huge improvement. Last year I ditched the aluminum 17" inch rims and went to 16" steel shod with 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs. I really like the Duratracs, more than the BFG's, though there is some tread squirm to them that takes some getting used to. Several folks complain of sidewall squirm, but it is the tread blocks as they are not connected to one another.

Try dropping the tire pressure on your BFG's. I ran 36 psi on long highway runs, 30psi around town and 18psi in the bush. I'd sometimes drop to around 10psi in deep snow.

Beware of reversing in deep snow. The snow can build up under the skid plate (the real one, not the flimsy polished aluminum accessory jobby Toyota sells) and lever it off.

If you've got 17" rims (TRD Sport Double Cab), you're probably running 265/70-17. One size up from the stock 265/65-17. That is what I ran, its a 32" tire, anything larger and you may have rubbing problem in the front on the body mount. There is no room between the upper control arm and the front tire for chains on the front of these trucks.

I also found something with the design of the 17" rims makes them awful for the inside filling with mud/ice and throwing out the balance.

The Duratracs are better than the BFG's on ice but not hugely better. One day I may have to break down and buy a dedicated winter tire for the truck. I've got about 500lbs of sandbags in the back plus a dry box with recovery gear and chains for the rear and that definitely helps.

My centre overhead compass/temp went out a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it happens to all at ~150K kms, I'm at 145K kms on my '07. It is easy to pull (four screws and plug) and either re solder yourself (screw and it's toast and $300 to replace from Toyota) or there in a guy in Texas who will replace the bad part for $20 plus mailing.

I've only used the inverter a couple of times. Kept the laptop charged during a three day blackout so I could keep working, but it is handy when needed.

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

I forgot who I was talking to lol. It is a coil over lift in the front with the additional leaf spring 1.5" lifted in the back. I actually went with stock rubber size for the time being as I wanted to compare gas mileage. That and they had the tires right there. Automatic trany, I know, I know it is a 5 speed and old and busted etc. but It gets the job done. I do like the Tacoma shifting pattern better than the Tundra's.

My next tire purchase might be the Toyo Open Country, every asshole is driving them out here so I may as well give them a try. The issue I have with the BFGs is that the SW to SW tread seems to bite on the crusty edge of pre-existing trails and throw the steering wheel all over the place. I will try the tire pressure thing, I was doing the 29lb for everything.

I am ordering an upgraded skid plate, The OEM one is shameful.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Carlyee wrote: The issue I have with the BFGs is that the SW to SW tread seems to bite on the crusty edge of pre-existing trails and throw the steering wheel all over the place.
Your coil overs are probably as strong or stronger than my Old Man Emu fronts. I don't think the extra leaf will affect the driveshaft enough for the low speed vibe.

That may be one of the things I liked about the BFG's is that I could easily crawl out of other peoples ruts. I didn't think BFG sold a 265/65-17. I play with air pressure quite a bit because I bought a good portable compressor (Viar 400P) and a set of Trailhead deflaters.

I'm sure the auto is just fine, in fact it is stronger than the stick. It's not like you have hills to worry about.

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ya ever had to live out of your truck topper?

How To Live Out Of Your Truck In The Woods
http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/how ... socialflow

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Wife and son just had to do a fast trip to Belize, sounds like my father inlaw doesn't have much time left. I told her to spend some time and effort get my Hilux running as that will make life much easier for her while dealing with her Dad.

Yesterday she put a new battery in it, checked the oil and water and then after 4 years of sitting up on blocks, the truck fired right up. Air up the tires, take it off blocks and drive away. Today she's off to get all the fluids changed in in it.

Damn the truck is amazing.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

This thread's been up on blocks almost as long as that truck..
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Last fall I bought a '14 Ram 1500 Sport. Got it for the business, but took it to Gang Ranch for a hunting trip and it runs like a top (so far). For a 5.7L, its bloody good on fuel.

No quad yet, but I've got a way to get it around now. :thumbs:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Any shit from the Gang Ranch folks? I do some work in the area and they are pain in the ass.

Your 1500, a decent set of tires and a chainsaw will get you anywhere you probably want to go.

The Hilux

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Nice truck! I love Toyota's.

As a matter of fact, a couple kids crusin' around in a 90's Exploder lifted 4 full jerry cans of gas from our camp site. If I see them next year, they're gonna get a rude awakening.

Other than that, no troubles.