The dreaded mini-van conversation.

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

The dreaded mini-van conversation.

Post by CFP! »

Ok ok ok....I already have a truck. So settle.

We're looking for a 6+ seater for the famdamily plus dogs. Thus the realization a minivan, vanagon etc has to be the right option. If you scroll down our list of wants, everything is in the newer minivans. (Wifey has had a hard time adapting to the possibility because she hated driving her mom's areostar back in the day)

We really like the newer Caravan and have been told its being pulled out of production as of this year (2012?). We probably weren't looking new but couple years old. Apparently the Routan (VW) is a replica of the Chrysler product but with a little more VW-ness added into its look.

We havent test drove anything yet, but we are coming to the realization we may need to finance a vehicle for the first time in our lives to get something we really want and will work well for the family.

So our list of what have yous:

1. 6+ seater
2. Room for the dog
3. Stow n go is nice
4. Doesn't have to be leather
5. Automatic ...lol
6. Decent fuel economy, small V6
7. Dont care about 17" rims or high performance packages

The Mazada 5 is out right away. Cant put a retriever and a springer in there. We do like the captains chairs mid row, for stroage and a possible sneaky dog.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

(And Ohdee, we dont need a brand new Silverado all slicked up!)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: The dreaded mini-van conversation.

Post by Aaronp18 »

We have a 2006 Caravan. Does the job but I wouldn't exactly say its good on gas.

If you can swing it go Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, they're pretty damn nice.

Though you can find a six or seven seater in tons of SUVs now. The Dodge Journey, Honda Pilot ... all depends on your budget. The Ford Explorer and the Toyota Highlander are really nice!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I've had two minivans - a 1996 Plymouth Voyager and our current 2006 Honda Odyssey.

The Voyager (basically exactly the same as a Dodge Caravan) had transmission problems at approx 60,000 miles, which I hear is typical for Dodge/Plymouth.

The Odyssey is excellent in pretty much every way, even shutting off unnecessary valves while coasting to increase fuel efficiency. Get 2006 or newer because that is when they revamped the interior design.

As for SUV vs. Minivan... I had to pick up a new dishwasher. I got the dimensions from the store and measured the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee - and it wouldn't fit. Measured the Voyager, and it fit easily. Minivans may not be "ccol", but they are awesome.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Southern_Canuck wrote: As for SUV vs. Minivan... I had to pick up a new dishwasher. I got the dimensions from the store and measured the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee - and it wouldn't fit. Measured the Voyager, and it fit easily. Minivans may not be "ccol", but they are awesome.

S_C

Funny, when we were showed the stow and go I mentioned to the wifey and salesman the only possible purpose to store all your seats in the floor was for a yard of soil.

I was the only one who smiled.

Our budget is under $18K.I dont think the Honda is in our price range, but the Uplander is! :twisted:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Aaronp18 wrote:We have a 2006 Caravan. Does the job but I wouldn't exactly say its good on gas.

If you can swing it go Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, they're pretty damn nice.

Though you can find a six or seven seater in tons of SUVs now. The Dodge Journey, Honda Pilot ... all depends on your budget. The Ford Explorer and the Toyota Highlander are really nice!
We looked at the Journey today. Nice, but not enough room in the back for the dogs. And with the kids in carseats for the next few yrs getting into the backseat with the carseats in the middle row wont be easy for grandma.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

May I suggest a handgun.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I was going to suggest a toyota avensis verso, but apparently they have other models in North America than in Europe. Seems like the Sienna is the closest equivalent.

We have an old picnic, the predecessor to avensis verso, as our second car, and have been very pleased with it.

The possibility to get rid of seats by pushing them into the floor is great if you eg have to drop off six kids at football practice, then pick up a new dishwasher or a 60 inch LED TV on the way home. In our picnic you still have to take the seats out physically, which is OK, if you start and stop at home every time, but less so in the scenario described above.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Topper wrote:May I suggest a handgun.
No shit eh! :D
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

CFP! wrote:Ok ok ok....I already have a truck. So settle.

We're looking for a 6+ seater for the famdamily plus dogs. Thus the realization a minivan, vanagon etc has to be the right option. If you scroll down our list of wants, everything is in the newer minivans. (Wifey has had a hard time adapting to the possibility because she hated driving her mom's areostar back in the day)

:(

Yes you do! :thumbs:

Seriously....

I don't know anything about 6+ seat as we don't have the need for one but if I were in the market, I'd avoid a van at all costs. They're just too... you know.

Have you considered the Buick Enclave?

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/bu ... e/overview

Chev Taverse or GMC Acadia?

What are they called? SUV or crossover?

Something where you can tow the boat, get all wheel drive, move the family (plus dog) and NOT BE SEEN IN A VAN!

But I hear ya man... de familia gotta be moved around so what ever you gotta do!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ODB wrote:
CFP! wrote:Ok ok ok....I already have a truck. So settle.

Seriously....

I don't know anything about 6+ seat as we don't have the need for one but if I were in the market, I'd avoid a van at all costs. They're just too... you know.

Have you considered the Buick Enclave?

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/bu ... e/overview

Chev Taverse or GMC Acadia?

What are they called? SUV or crossover?

Something where you can tow the boat, get all wheel drive, move the family (plus dog) and NOT BE SEEN IN A VAN!

But I hear ya man... de familia gotta be moved around so what even you gotta do!
Right. We bought the van when my in-laws got sick and moved to live closer to us. Whenever we were taking them somewhere we had to take two cars, and it didn't make sense, so a six seater was necessary. Thus we got a Toyota Picnic. :?

It's a '97, so it's close to retirement now, but I'm not really interested in getting a new van, so we'll see if we can use it as our second car for a few more years. It's a toyota, mind you, so it's still in really good shape. One of these days we're not going to need six seats any more, and I'd prefer to wait till then before buying a new car. Otherwise the next one will also be a van..... :P
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:
CFP! wrote: (And Ohdee, we dont need a brand new Silverado all slicked up!)

Seriously....
Agree, double cab small pick up. Tacoma or Dodge, avoid the Chev, its junk. Put a canopy on the back so you have a safe place for the dogs and the interior isn't reupholstered with dog hair. You can also carry whatever larger supplies you buy. Kids get the back seat.

I believe Aaron liked his Tacoma and it worked well for his family.

I see no need for buying a buss so you can ferry everyone elses kids around.
Last edited by Topper on Fri May 25, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Jovorock wrote:
No shit eh! :D
I think there ought to be people carrier/ mini van control laws ...we need to protect the innocent don'tchyaknow
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hmmmm grandma or the dogs??
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mary Provost

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: I believe Aaron liked his Tacoma and it worked well for his family.

I see no need for buying a buss so you can ferry everyone elses kids around.
Yup loved the Taco.

Just needed two vehicles so we sold it and got a couple.

Would love one at some point again, though if he's set on something like the minivan what about the 4Runner? Isn't it the same platform as the Tacoma?