CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: CC Random thread

Post by BurningBeard »

Cornuck wrote:Wow - they made an example of him, didn't they?

The guy sounds like a complete asshole. If he felt that strongly about race, he should have had an all-white team.
Maybe he likes having black "employees"? I think he chose the wrong industry to be racist in. ;)
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

BurningBeard wrote:

The guy sounds like a complete asshole. If he felt that strongly about race, he should have had an all-white team.
Maybe he likes having black "employees"? I think he chose the wrong industry to be racist in. ;)
Curling..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

rats19 wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

Curling..
How long before he buys a hockey team? :)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It would have been interesting if Sterling had denied it was him on tape instead of admitting it was his voice.

California makes it illegal to tape tape phone conversations without consent. Likely the conversation would be inadmissible in court and could lead to charges against the gold digging bimbo.

Sterling's wife is still suing the gold digging bimbo for $1.8 million in gifts (Ferrari, Range Rover and Bentleys plus a duplex) received from the Clippers and her hubby.

Looking forward to Sterling vs Silver.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote:California makes it illegal to tape tape phone conversations without consent. Likely the conversation would be inadmissible in court and could lead to charges against the gold digging bimbo.

Sterling's wife is still suing the gold digging bimbo for $1.8 million in gifts (Ferrari, Range Rover and Bentleys plus a duplex) received from the Clippers and her hubby.
I believe I read that he asked to be taped. Because he forgets things... like the emancipation proclamation apparently. :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

The way I see it is the NBA is a private company, and Sterling is essentially an employee (suppose there is room for argument on that point). It's the NBAs right to deal with him however they want.
In a free society you should be able to make racist remarks in private without being fined and losing your property rights.
This is an interesting point, but that's not really what happened. He thought he was in private, but it became public. He has a valid beef, and probably a legal one, but it'd be akin to me canning one of my staff because they sent a nasty e-mail to a friend and it was forwarded to me. Whether or not the law was broken in the process is another question. I would still be within my rights to fire them, however unfair that is.

As an aside, I also really liked what Kareem Abdul Jabar said about the situation. Smart dude, that guy.

Sterling gave up his "property rights" (or severely limited them) when he entered into a contract with the rest of the NBA owners. Any NBA owner can be dealt with in the same way - it just takes a majority vote. I'm sure many are weary of setting the precedent, and they should be. I have no doubt, they want to make him sell his team not just because he's a racist who's currently getting a lot of media attention, but also because he's a horrible owner and they can use this as an excuse to get rid of him. I'm not sure they're going to be successful though...

Wouldn't it be great if Magic Johnson bought the team? :roll: I'm almost inclined to think it was a setup.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I have to wonder how the NHL would have handled this situation. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:It would have been interesting if Sterling had denied it was him on tape instead of admitting it was his voice.

California makes it illegal to tape tape phone conversations without consent. Likely the conversation would be inadmissible in court and could lead to charges against the gold digging bimbo.

Looking forward to Sterling vs Silver.
Who is Donald Sterling’s girlfriend, V. Stiviano? Get to know the woman at the centre of the Clippers scandal

via: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/04/ ... s-scandal/
Her bio lists her as an “artist, lover, writer, chef, poet, stylist, philanthropist.”
She sounds, like, uh, a "Renaissance woman" who was allegedly pretty good at extracting gold from fossils. 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BurningBeard wrote:As an aside, I also really liked what Kareem Abdul Jabar said about the situation. Smart dude, that guy.
More from Kareem and the NAACP selling itself at auction to the highest bidder.

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote:More from Kareem and the NAACP selling itself at auction to the highest bidder.
Yeah, that's what I had read, the Time op-ed he did. One of the few intellectually honest statements I've seen someone make about the situation. I'm also surprised (I shouldn't be) that the NAACP hasn't received more flack over this.

Here's the full article:
http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-k ... ar-racism/
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Thanks for the link.

A revival of Rule Britannia. Sterling Silver brings out the Sheffield Steel.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BurningBeard wrote:Here's the full article:
http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-k ... ar-racism/
Kareem wrote:He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope.
Great perspective, and one that the media is just too damned lazy to pursue. I guess it's better for ratings to parade a racist old man across the screen than to make people think.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Does SNL know the history of Liberia?

Do they know who Marcus Garvey was?

The Black Star Liner?

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... a.cnn.html

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Micheal Jordan should now get the Paula Dean treatment.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/05/ ... -new-book/