CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It takes a special kind of asshole to abandon puppies or kittens, toss them in a dumpster or whatever. You are the beneficiary though so he got lucky.

Only downside of this lab and I’d assume most is they are fucking thieves. I frequently find food wrappers, banana peels, orange peels, chip bags etc. in his bed.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Had a Golden Lab.

Sal.

Had a purebred Shepherd.

Gypsy.

Had two cats.

Ginger and MaryAnn.

....the deaths killed me.

Can't do it again.
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:24 pm Only downside of this lab and I’d assume most is they are fucking thieves. I frequently find food wrappers, banana peels, orange peels, chip bags etc. in his bed.
The food obsession is on another level. We have some ducks and chickens on our property. Our labs have always been drawn to the poop. Even the duck poop which is not really solid, just runny liquid splashed on the ground. I often find my dog licking it up. My puppy has been eating feathers. The quills don't digest, so a tight mass of them come out in the poop. I really don't know how that stuff makes it through the intestines.

Now let your dog lick you so she knows you love her.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:42 pm Now let your dog lick you so she knows you love her.
Yeah, there was no licking in the lever household.

You lick your ass, you don't lick me.

That's how one of the cats went....chewing on a houseplant ffs....i paid good money for a raw food diet and you have to eat a plant!!...a little twig got caught in the stomach lining and opened her up.

She was to old to operate on.

Pets....sigh.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

We have a Whoodle (wheaten/poodle), he loves to be on the hunt for food as well. He's also too fucking smart for his own good, he's a problem solver.

They aren't command loyal like retrievers or labs but he can figure out how to get himself into trouble. Came home one day and he figured out how to let himself into the dog run! Open doors by himself, also let the little dog out as well.

Had to get rid of the lever style door handles. He also can open cupboards so the food and garbage (loves coffee grinds for some reason) are child locked when we have to leave him for a bit.

Won't get into them when we're home cause I'm there, but he goes looking for trouble as soon as we're gone.

Not sure if we'll get more pets when these two go, by that time the kids will be gone likely and we're traveling then! That can be the tough part about pets is going away when they can't, pet sitters aren't cheap either. Why we have a big ass trailer right now so we can take them where we go!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

donlever wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:55 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:42 pm Now let your dog lick you so she knows you love her.
Yeah, there was no licking in the lever household.

You lick your ass, you don't lick me.

That's how one of the cats went....chewing on a houseplant ffs....i paid good money for a raw food diet and you have to eat a plant!!...a little twig got caught in the stomach lining and opened her up.

She was to old to operate on.

Pets....sigh.
A few years ago (pre-covid) our current cat had a few days where it was constantly puking (more than a cat normally does). We took her to our local vet and he did a test and indicated that he didn't think anything was wrong with the cat but it probably ate something. We said the cat has been biting plastic lately. The vet indicated that plastic would probably not show up well under a ultrasound (or what ever they do) that we can take the cat home and monitor it but hide all plastic. We decided to take the cat to a 24hour vet in Burnaby but prior to going I checked up on them and a common theme was how expensive they were.

We arrived and they took the cat in the back, ran a couple tests and then sits down with me and my wife. The vet starts talking about all these medical terms, wants to keep the cat overnight, run all these tests (including the test my vet said wouldn't really work) and the cost would be $4k - $5k. As soon as the vet started talking my wife had to leave, this cat was everything to her since she moved from Japan to Canada so hearing this was very emotional to her.

After hearing the vets recommendation and I asked several questions, I opted for a simpler work. They put water under the skin as the cat was dehydrated. The water would slowly release over the next few hours but monitor the cat. Total cost $400.00. Went home and cat was perfectly fine. Still have to hide all plastic from the cat as it is its favorite chew toy.

What really really really pissed me off was how the vet was playing on our emotions and using all these medical terms to pressure us to keep the cat overnight. Only after I asked questions was I provided alternative options at a much lower cost. I really felt like filing a complaint as I felt they broke the trust we are supposed to have in vets. Vets must at least have some ethics on proving good service to the animals first, I know they need to make money but using our pets to do this, well it just bugged me.

When my first cat died, my new wife was really upset. I was a little oblivious on how much she needed the pet at home. My sister in law said "go get her a new cat now" Well I don't argue with my SIL so we went out and got the new cat (now current cat). My wife loves this cat and will be extremely upset when it passes.

My pets were fish, not as attached to them like other pets, when they died I just saw money going down the toilet.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:05 am
5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:25 pm My puppy is alright. The symptoms wore off by the end of the day so it was probably something she nibbled on that morning.
Glad to hear. Sadly, the same is not true here. :(

My 15-yo puppy showed similar symptoms. He was happy go lucky on Wednesday. We met some new dogs on our afternoon walk and he greeted them with a wagging tail, had a few sniffs and even made some play moves, skipping about a bit. Then he was clearly distressed at night. Woke me up at 1.30 am, but seemingly just wanting a drink. Then again at 3.30, at which point I went up and took him for a brief walk. He didn't really seem to know what he wanted, but he walked by himself and lifted his leg three or four times on the County Council lawn across the street with the "No dogs allowed" sign. Nearly lost his balance once, but I figured he was just as groggy as I was at 3.30 am. Then he woke me up again at 5 am, and now his right front paw was not functioning. It turned backways when he tried to walk, and he stumbled. It didn't hurt, because he didn't attempt to do the three legged skip thing dogs tend to do when a paw hurts. He insisted on trying to walk on all four, despite that one leg clearly did not give any support. I called the vet as soon as they opened and got an appointment at 9.20. He now insisted on sitting in my lap and got quite upset whenever I left the room to get coffee, get dressed, whatever. I picked him up and took him to the car. Carried him into the vet's office and when they asked me to put him on the scales, it turned out his left front leg had stopped working too, so he tipped over. :(

The vet examined him and decided it was something neurological. Most likely a stroke or a tumor in the brain or spine. The options were basically to either have him transported to an animal hospital (at least one hours drive) for an MRT to get a more exact diagnosis and plan for treatment, to have him put down or to just give him a cortisone shot, wait 24 hours and see if it had any effect.

The first idea seemed far fetched. A fifteen year old dog with a stroke or brain tumor will not get fixed. Even if they manage to save his life, his life won't be worth living. And the cortisone shot would be a Hail Mary strategy that most likely would have no effect, and he would just have to endure 24 hours of confusion, shame and deterioration before being put down anyway, so I did what had to be done and returned home alone. Almost exactly one year after I was admitted to the ICU, 366 days. Barely eleven months since my wife died.

Sirius, my pooch, was invaluable for me in the year since my wife died. True unconditional love. Always happy. Helped me complete my 10,000 steps every day to get back in shape. And I did not have to feel alone when he was around. I mean, especially during the pandemic, I have been working from home and hardly been seeing anyone. But he was there. And now he is not.
My heart goes out to you Per.

Hang in there brother.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vets can get pricey - but we're spoiled right now. Our vet lives 2 doors and makes house. She doesn't charge us for the small stuff.

I've spent a bit at 'big city' vets, and yes - the 'emergency' vets seem to be in it for the money (1st) and the animals (2nd).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In other news, prairie fires to the west of us are forcing towns to evacuate. This is about 150 miles away.

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

What's your threat level currently?
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:40 pm What's your threat level currently?
Here, locally - none (thankfully) - winds have been about 30mph steady all day - about 20+ all week. It should get under 20 starting tomorrow.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:42 pm
donlever wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:40 pm What's your threat level currently?
Here, locally - none (thankfully) - winds have been about 30mph steady all day - about 20+ all week. It should get under 20 starting tomorrow.
:thumbs:

Glad to hear it Corn.

Hopefully the highway rest stop bathroom at 100 miles closer is also secure.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:

Corny likes to hide in those anyway so it'll be just another holiday for him
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Corn, our very own Don Quixote.

Last dog we had was in Belize. One day heading out to the inlaws farm I dropped the tailgate for the dog to jump out and run the 2km from the 1st gate to the house.

Damn dog started chasing the sheep, cut one from the herd and chased it down into the river. Wife jumped out of the truck, ran to the river and pulled the dog off the sheep just before he could sink his teeth in. Wife then had a severe asthma attack, I grabbed her inhaler and ran to the river swapped inhaler for mutt and beat the shit out of the dog. Tempted to grab the machete and end the fucker there and then but the wife loved the dog.

Here in Canada, we inherited a cat from friends who were travelling. Fat lap cat, I went away for a 6 week job and when I got back, fat lap cat was skinny outdoor cat. Then got real sick, puking and shitting everywhere. Not wasting money on a vet, the cat disappeared for a couple of days. I took the kid away for a weekend of bike racing and got a message from the wife that she found dead cat in the neighbours yard. and had buried it in our garden.

Whenever the kid gets sick now and says "I'm dying", I tell him to get a shovel and go start digging a hole next to where his cat is buried.

They are domesticated animals, not much else.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Topper wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:58 am They are domesticated animals, not much else.
I'm glad Topper continues to include himself in his "most people are complete twats" signature.