Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

benivolent
CC Rookie

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Post by benivolent »

Wildfaery wrote: thank-you for your words of experience...loops is that you??? always the healer.
gonnafollowyouradvice, Namaste WF
I'm not loops. :) Just a guy on the board.

Starngelove's advice is really good. (Nice post, man!) I'd go with that, because at this point, depending on how far out from the initial injury, at some point, ice might not be what you need as the ice is initially to limit the damage done (by reducing blood flow to the region and thus swelling and inflammation). Once that first 48-72 hrs is over, you do need to consider putting heat to help with circulation and healing.

Tensoring, and compression will still be useful. But as Strangelove mentioned "physio-terrorists" (LoL! nice), they will be very useful in helping to lengthen the muscle and making sure it heals effectively so that you don't have a shorter/tighter muscle that is prone to being injured again. Ultrasound in the initial stages can help with the muscle as well. Consider a registered massage therapist. Depending on your medical coverage, they can be well worth it. (I work as an RN, and I go regularly as my back is tight/sore quite often b/c of turning and boosting unconscious patients.)

Take it easy on that leg - don't try to do too much too soon and re-injure it. I went back to work, perhaps a little too soon, was on the code team and was hoping that the code bell never went off b/c there was NO WAY i'd get there in any reasonable amount of time. heh.

ABG's? yeah those suck. getting poked in an artery is never fun.

hope you start feeling better soon.!

ps. maybe don't do the relaxants and wine at the same time. haha.
Wildfaery
CC Veteran

Post by Wildfaery »

benivolent wrote:
Wildfaery wrote: thank-you for your words of experience...loops is that you??? always the healer.
gonnafollowyouradvice, Namaste WF
I'm not loops. :) Just a guy on the board.

Starngelove's advice is really good. (Nice post, man!) I'd go with that, because at this point, depending on how far out from the initial injury, at some point, ice might not be what you need as the ice is initially to limit the damage done (by reducing blood flow to the region and thus swelling and inflammation). Once that first 48-72 hrs is over, you do need to consider putting heat to help with circulation and healing.

Tensoring, and compression will still be useful. But as Strangelove mentioned "physio-terrorists" (LoL! nice), they will be very useful in helping to lengthen the muscle and making sure it heals effectively so that you don't have a shorter/tighter muscle that is prone to being injured again. Ultrasound in the initial stages can help with the muscle as well. Consider a registered massage therapist. Depending on your medical coverage, they can be well worth it. (I work as an RN, and I go regularly as my back is tight/sore quite often b/c of turning and boosting unconscious patients.)

Take it easy on that leg - don't try to do too much too soon and re-injure it. I went back to work, perhaps a little too soon, was on the code team and was hoping that the code bell never went off b/c there was NO WAY i'd get there in any reasonable amount of time. heh.

ABG's? yeah those suck. getting poked in an artery is never fun.

hope you start feeling better soon.!

ps. maybe don't do the relaxants and wine at the same time. haha.[/quo

Hey Benie have ya ever tried a TENS unit for your back??? I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease since the 90's and know how med's just mask what ya need to know...the TENS is a med free goddess-send. granted it won't help my hammie butt will help the added weakness to the lumbar area and still keep the siatica at bey. nah...not relaxants&wine.
hydro&beer. :) Namaste,gonnatakeitonedayatatimeandwhateverelsenecessaryWF
Namaste WF
benivolent
CC Rookie

Post by benivolent »

WF, yeah, i have a TENS. Works pretty good! :)