EDR???

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: EDR???

Post by dbr »

True, that is what I meant.

But yeah that is at the core of it - but of course nobody wants to deal with the core problem because it requires a radical solution. Hell I guess even addressing the issue with gun violence in the States requires a radical solution by their standards, though..
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Cornuck wrote: I used to get into a LOT of heated discussions when I moved down here. Now I just don't bother. The government and media have done an awesome job with the left/right - red/blue - liberal/conservative split that these poor bastards don't see the rich/poor split. It's a mess.
Yup,

I will never forget seeing a news show where they were interviewing all of these old, ugly, health care less, red necks down south screaming bloody murder about public health care.

Unhealthy looking people with no health care, all up in arms because someone wants to give it to them.... How does that happen?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ODB wrote: Anyway, off topic but there’s your problem IMO. Guns, even handguns aren’t the issue. A 100 million people living in poverty is the problem.
100 million people living in poverty WITH SUPER FRICKEN EASY acess to hand guns :lol:

If they all of a sudden gave all the skid baggs in the down town east side simple access to hand guns what do you want to bet their would be way more gun related homicides.

The skid bags would all have guns and the normall people would be scared shitless and buy guns as well.

Yes the US has major soci-economic problems, but they have terrible gun laws as well.
A rifle or shotgun is too cumbersome to cleanly carry in the bush while working and is not quickly accessible enough in case of emergency.
I see your point on that Topper, but the situation is a bit unique. Very few buy hand gunds to stave off a cougar attack (smile)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I agree Pot but as someone else already pointed out, guns are just the most affective way to kill a mother-fucker. If we could somehow wish away all guns they'd move to using bricks.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:Keep 'em poor, keep 'em hungry, keep 'em mad, they'll react and hang themselves and no on will see what we are really up to....
May I kiss the ring?

If I were to have a gun for home protection, I'd have a shot gun loaded with buckshot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ODB wrote:
During the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Sweden allowed the Wehrmacht to use Swedish railways to transport (June–July 1941) the 163rd Infantry Division along with howitzers, tanks and anti-aircraft weapons and associated ammunition, from Norway to Finland. German soldiers traveling on leave between Norway and Germany were allowed passage through Sweden — the so-called permittenttrafik. Iron ore was sold to Germany throughout the war.
The Third Reich must of been shaking in their boots at the thought of Swedish men carrying guns protecting the borders. Image

But you guy's weren't all bad. You also helped the Allies when you thought it would be in you're best interest. :thumbs:
Well, it gets worse, we didn't only sell iron to the Germans, we sold it to the British and Americans as well. What part of neutral don't you understand. :eh:
The British RAF was dependent on our ball bearings to function. We had 8000 sailors working for the allies and 500 working for the Germans, after the Germans had shut off the entrance to the Baltic and left our trade fleet unable to reach most Swedish harbours. 198 Swedish ships were sunk (mostly by the Germans).

Besides, our main concern was the Soviet Union. Right at the beginning of the war they invaded Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. They then attacked Finland. As you may or may not know, Finland had been part of Sweden since the Middle Ages and up till the Russians seized it in 1809. There are very strong ties between the two countries and Finland has a fairly large Swedish speaking minority, some 5% of the population.

When the Russians, our arch enemy throughout the centuries, attacked Finland, many argued that we should join the war on the Finnish side. Instead we decided to officially stay on the sidelines, but we lent them a third of our air force, and some 9760 Swedes, including many officers, volunteered to fight for the Finnish army. We also took in more than 70,000 Finnish children that were evacuated. Both my parents had Finnish children staying with their families during the war. And throughout the war we were shipping supplies to Finland to help them in their war effort.

The passage of German troops from Norway to Finland through Sweden must be seen against this background. Finland was at war with Russia, they were fighting for their very existence. As the Germans declared war on Russia, the Finns and Germans became de facto allies. By letting German troops through on their way to the Russsian front, we helped secure Finland's survival as an independent country. It was not an easy decision, as every one understood it compromised our neutral status. The government pulled an all-nighter and there was a very harsh debate with threats of resigning from several ministers, but in the end they decided to put the interests of Finland first and let the Germans through.

But we weren't only aiding the Finns. We also trained some 13,000 Norwegian "policemen" for the Norwegian govt in exile in London, and also some 3,000 Danish "policemen". All these "policemen" were shipped back to their home cointries at the end of the war to help take charge as the Germans capitulated. And since the German troops in Norway were dependent on Swedish telephone lines to communicate with Berlin, we listened in on the conversations. Sweden had cracked the German encryptment in 1940 already and kept feeding information to the Norwegian government in exile in London, which they in turn shared with their British hosts.

But we digress. This has very little to do with gun laws. And from what I've heard, gun ownership is more common in Sweden than in the USA, but you need to have a hunter's license to own a gun (sort of like needing a driver's license to operate a car) and all guns must be registered. We do also not llow assault weapons, and rules regarding hand guns are pretty strict. What people do have is basically hunting rifles. The annual moose hunt is a huge event here. More moose are shot in Sweden in any given year than in the rest of the world combined. During moose hunting season many work places are more or less abandoned... I don't hunt myself, but I love a good moose steak! 8-)

We do something called tjälaknöl ( frost lump ) which is kind of like roast beef. You marinate the meat with crushed juniper berries, bay leaves and pepper, then slow cook it over night. Serve as cold cuts with roasted potates, wild mushrooms, rowan berry jelly and a musky rioja. To die for!

Damn! Now I'm hungry. :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ODB wrote:I agree Pot but as someone else already pointed out, guns are just the most affective way to kill a mother-fucker. If we could somehow wish away all guns they'd move to using bricks.
Harder to kill people with bricks so there would probably be fewer sucesfull murder attempts, no?

Drive by Bricking (smile).
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ODB wrote:I agree Pot but as someone else already pointed out, guns are just the most affective way to kill a mother-fucker. If we could somehow wish away all guns they'd move to using bricks.
Harder to kill people with bricks so there would probably be fewer sucesfull murder attempts, no?

He bricks, He scores!!!
2011..... the one that got away.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Potatoe1 wrote:

It's even harder to make 270 million firearms disapear!

It is what it is, the guns aren’t going away anytime soon.

There always has been and always will be fuck-heads out there. Crazy assholes that’ll do crazy shit. But 9000+ gun related homicides... you can do something about that. That’s a social problem. And Canada isn’t much better.

There was a day when the middle class lived happily ever after. It was in fact, the American Dream. Seriously, not everyone wants to be super rich. Some people are school teachers and lead a fulfilled life making a difference in their community. Now there is no middle class. The middle class is in debt up to their eyeballs just trying to maintain what was considered middle class 50 years ago. And every penny owed by the middle class is owed to… the 10%. More likely the 1% actually.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: I will never forget seeing a news show where they were interviewing all of these old, ugly, health care less, red necks down south screaming bloody murder about public health care.

Unhealthy looking people with no health care, all up in arms because someone wants to give it to them.... How does that happen?
The plan isn't to give us health care, it's a plan to force everyone to buy into the existing expensive, corrupt system. People will still be paying the hundreds and hundreds of dollars (thousands) that some already do, but I don't see publicly held companies dropping their rates much with a captive customer base. Most have already spiked their rates to deal with the pain of these new laws.

The only benefit that I have seen is that people won't be denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bust a capping brick in yo ass...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Martyrs and pistols

Bricks and martyrs
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Well lets just assume that there were a few Swedes who didn't like taking it up the ass from the Nazi's and would have done something about it if they had the chance.
Well a Swede would tell you that Hitler had his gun cocked during entire cocking

.... that it wasn't thoroughly enjoyed all around.

Butt ass they say: "Never trust a Swede" :mex:

Strangelove loves guns... *looks at Potatoe*... HAND guns. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Well lets just assume that there were a few Swedes who didn't like taking it up the ass from the Nazi's and would have done something about it if they had the chance.
Well a Swede would tell you that Hitler had his gun cocked during entire cocking

.... that it wasn't thoroughly enjoyed all around.

Butt ass they say: "Never trust a Swede" :mex:

Strangelove loves guns... *looks at Potatoe*... HAND guns. :D
It is difficult not to analyse the Swedes shitty position as they were caught between a cock and a hard place at the time, and I am sure they wood have done whatever they could to prevent the Germans from coming out on top...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I once met a Swede nicknamed Dirty Sanchez who said what Hitler spewed was easy to swallow. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.