It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
So nobody knows a damn thing and Strangelove could be right afterall.
Doc's epitaph.
I was hoping for: "A tutor for many and he was right about everything."

Speaking of my tutelage, look at Spidey's post above, he aced it!

Well except for the 'not doing research' and 'don't argue with fools' parts....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Knucklehead wrote:There is a possibility that global warming, whatever it's cause, will cause...wait for it....AN ICE AGE!

This would be caused by the shutting down or slowing of the Great Ocean Conveyor resuling in a much colder Europe and Eastern North America.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... ar_arctic/

Although more current research would indicate that it is in fact speeding up!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132405.htm

Or conversely the speeding of the current could accelerate warming in the North causing catastrauphic warming and we are all doomed!
Weel thas about tit then ain' it?! Don't trust the scientists, the politicians, the economists or the snake oil priests...trust yourselves...what do your instincts say? Maybe shit is happening that we are having a hard time predicting or analyzing so best to be smart and prepare for anything....resilience 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
..it's really the same thing if you think about it.

Strangelove wrote:
..tutelage...
Awesome!!

lol
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
donlever wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
Doc's epitaph.

Speaking of my tutelage, look at Spidey's post above, he aced it!

Well except for the 'don't argue with fools' parts....
No, I think that's the part I got spot on IMHO :drink:

8-)
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

Not to derail this heartwarming thread on global warming but a greater and more immediate threat to mankind is the spent fuel pool #4 at Fukushima.

If that baby gets out of control it could be the end of the world as we know it and I won't feel fine.

http://akiomatsumura.com/2012/04/682.html
Before the Committee, Ambassador Murata strongly stated that if the crippled building of reactor unit 4—with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground—collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4. In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel; dangerously, they are open to the air. This would certainly cause a global catastrophe like we have never before experienced.
I'm not to worried for myself, I'm 56 this year and have had a good life, Hell I've even been dead once 4 yrs ago, but I feel for all the young people that will have to deal with the horrific afereffects if this shit came down.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Speaking of bullshit in form of bullshit ;) Here's a new project I am working on. Well not the exact one, just started it.Working on the proposal for a meeting next week.

http://www.greenerideal.com/alternative ... mal-waste/
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Knucklehead wrote:Not to derail this heartwarming thread on global warming but a greater and more immediate threat to mankind is the spent fuel pool #4 at Fukushima.

If that baby gets out of control it could be the end of the world as we know it and I won't feel fine.

Before the Committee, Ambassador Murata strongly stated that if the crippled building of reactor unit 4—with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground—collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4. In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel; dangerously, they are open to the air. This would certainly cause a global catastrophe like we have never before experienced.
I'm not to worried for myself, I'm 56 this year and have had a good life, Hell I've even been dead once 4 yrs ago, but I feel for all the young people that will have to deal with the horrific afereffects if this shit came down.

:eh:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Caveat, I in no way agree or indorse Doc Lovestrange or his minions about climate change science being inconclusive or bogus (which he has on many occasions flagellated on here).

Everyone is perfectly allowed to do as they think and feel but 'for a good man to nothing in times of moral crisis'.... fools overture indeed....

8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Knucklehead wrote: Not to derail this heartwarming thread on global warming but a greater and more immediate threat to mankind is the spent fuel pool #4 at Fukushima.

Hmmm....
Many of our readers might find it difficult to appreciate the actual meaning of the figure, yet we can grasp what 85 times more Cesium-137 than the Chernobyl would mean. It would destroy the world environment and our civilization. This is not rocket science, nor does it connect to the pugilistic debate over nuclear power plants. This is an issue of human survival.
Ah well, we had a good run, sure glad I personally didn't waste my time conjuring up phony moral crisis' :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Knucklehead wrote:There is a possibility that global warming, whatever it's cause, will cause...wait for it....AN ICE AGE!

This would be caused by the shutting down or slowing of the Great Ocean Conveyor resuling in a much colder Europe and Eastern North America.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... ar_arctic/

Although more current research would indicate that it is in fact speeding up!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132405.htm

Or conversely the speeding of the current could accelerate warming in the North causing catastrauphic warming and we are all doomed!
Yeah, there was much worrying about this a couple of years ago, as in theory the cold freshwater coming from melting ice could mess with the Gulf stream. But more thorough analysis and actual tests carried out in some huge water tank showed that even very rapid melting would not cause a significant change. As mentioned in one of your links, they think it may have happened before, at the end of the ice age, but then Scandinavia was covered by a 2 km thick ice sheet. That's a hell of a lot more melting ice than what you can find on Greenland and in the Nortwest Territories. From what I understand there is no longer any concern among scientists that the Gulf stream will grind to a halt.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Knucklehead wrote:Not to derail this heartwarming thread on global warming but a greater and more immediate threat to mankind is the spent fuel pool #4 at Fukushima.

More hysteria. Certainly not the end of the world, but perhaps the end of people living in a huge chunk of Japan.

If you read it more carefully they compare it to 85xChernobyl, or half of the total radiation released by all atmospheric nuclear testing. I have a hard time knowing what to do of 85xChernobyl, but let's look at half the total radiation released by all atmospheric nuclear testing. There's been a study published in American Scientist that tries to estimate the health effects atmospheric nuclear testing has had on the American population. Their conclusion is that it has caused an estimated total of 54,000 additional cases of thyroid cancer, some 1,800 deaths in leukemia and some 22,000 cases of other cancers, half of them fatal. You may compare this to the roughly 60,000,000 incidents of cancer expected in the same population by other causes, ie the increase in cancer caused by the fallout was just over 0.1%. That being said, some 40,000 people had their life cut short by these tests, and the increase in thyroid cancer, the one most clearly linked to radioactive fallout, is as high as 10% above the "normal" expected rate.
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues ... er-risks/7

So, what can we conclude from this? If the fallout from all atmospheric testing caused an additional 40,000 cancer deaths in the USA, and an overall increase in cancer rates of roughly 0.1%, isn't this roughly the magnitude we should expect from the Japanese situation, if they compare it to half the radiation released by all nuclear testing? Granted, this is a bit more concentrated, so maybe we should compare it to the effects on the 14,000 people on the Marshall Islands, where cancer rates have jumped a whooping 3% due to nuclear testing.

Let's try some middle ground. Let's assume that cancer rates in Japan increase by 1%. Incidently, Japan today has roughly the same population size the USA had in the 1950's. Assuming that cancer rates are roughly the same (probably not, the Japanese have a healthier life style), we should have the same estimated 60,000,000 life time cancers. The expected effect should then be an additional 600,000 cancer cases, half of which are fatal. Let's say that the global effects, where of course the concentration has been diluted, adds the same number of cancers in the outside world. We then look at a total of some 600,000 people dying as a result of this incident over the next 50-70 years. We're talking about perhaps 10,000 people per year. Then compare this to the current global death rate, with more than 150,000 people dying every day, or 56,000,000 per year.

As catastrophic as this scenario is, and especially locally in Japan... Seriously, I think we've seen worse. :?

Yes, a lot of people may die. Yes, a large chunk of Japan may be unfit for human habitation for decades, but no, it's not the end of the world, or even of civilisation as we know it.

As a comparisson, a survey published in the Lancet suggested that the American war on Iraq had caused 654,965 excess deaths in the Iraqi population between March 2003 and June 2006. This figure is much higher than the official body counts, but that is because they compare the total number of deaths in this time to the total number of deaths in a similar time frame before the invasion. Thus they do not just include people who die from fighting, but also people who die due to deteriorating infrastructures leading to lack of healthcare, safe drinking water, etc and an increase in lawlessness.
http://brusselstribunal.org/pdf/lancet111006.pdf
Last edited by Per on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Per wrote:, but no, it's not the end of the world, or even of civilisation as we know it.
So glad to read this because i thought it already ended last sunday night. 8-)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Per wrote:, but no, it's not the end of the world, or even of civilisation as we know it.
So glad to read this because i thought it already ended last sunday night. 8-)
Oh, no. There's always next season! 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

This is a bad idea, I will do nothing in my power to stop it... 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBxJTQq ... r_embedded

Fucking climate denying old school inbreds, I'm with you!

:drink:

Sorry, deadline day, toooooo much coffee, man... just venting....Dog shit! I'm up to my eyeballs in it today!!!!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

And another thing, stop fucking buying garlic from China and apples from South America :evil:

Fucktards....OK, feeling a little better....